[drivers] Windows 8

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by NePheus, Jun 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NePheus

NePheus Pen Pal - Newbie

How to - Windows 8 on your slate

Wacom pen
    [download] ISD_DualTouch_710-9.zip
    Install the driver above and restart your system
    calibration
    1. run "regedit", search for "linearity" and delete all keys it finds
    2. open cmd and paste this:
    tabcal lincal novalidate XGridPts=20,268,516,764,1012,1260 YGridPts=20,172,324,476,628,780
    Then a multipoint calibration will start.

ALL hardware keys
    [download] BIOS 704 or [thread] BIOS 704 modded
    NOTE: Some users bricked their device with flashing in Win 8 + WinFlash, so you should preferrably flash with Win 7 + WinFlash! Do it on your own risk!
    Flash BIOS version 704 from above
    Install windows update: "ASUS - Other hardware - EeeSlate ACPI Utility"

g-sensor/rotate screen
    Install windows update: "ASUS - Other hardware - EeeSlate ACPI Utility (GSensor)"

VGA display driver
    Install windows update: "Intel Corporation driver update for Intel(R) HD Graphics"

Remaining
    Official Asus Windows 8 drivers available here: ASUS Windows 8 drivers

Note: Install either the important and optional updates at "control panel -> windows updates". (The metro "windows updates" app just shows the important updates)

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. jywang

jywang Scribbler - Standard Member

I just did a clean install of Windows 8 Release Preview on my EP121 and the only software I installed so far is the HotKey Service Driver that is in /data/HotkeyService/setup.exe. The allowed my volume buttons to function.

The VGA display driver above seems to be older than the one installed by the Windows 8 Release Preview. The pen works with ArtRage with pressure sens. so I don't think any Wacom drivers are needed.

Lastly, the auto-rotate isn't working but I see the g-sensor driver installed so I don't think it is working due to other issues.

The only thing I can't get working is the keyboard button. The main button on the right of the screen works. If you hold it down, it allows you to lock the computer.

3. jywang

jywang Scribbler - Standard Member

I was wrong about not needing to install other drivers. The Intel 152254 video driver has much better performance.

4. enicholie

enicholie Pen Pal - Newbie

Just a warning. When I installed VGA driver 152254 in windows preview 8, I could no longer project to an attached monitor. I had to return to the previous driver to allow this to function.

5. NePheus

NePheus Pen Pal - Newbie

Thread updated!

6. SaintXx

SaintXx Pen Pal - Newbie

Is the "Home" key supposed to do anything other than ctrl+alt+delete when held down? The prior "Win-Tab" function is no longer working for me.

I finally got the volume rocker working by burrowing down a bit further into the installation folders of the HotKeyService Utility and opening anything run-able in compatibility mode.

7. NePheus

NePheus Pen Pal - Newbie

You don't need the HotKeyService anymore, just flash the BIOS version 701 and the Volume Keys will use the Windows 8 volume function automatically.

8. SaintXx

SaintXx Pen Pal - Newbie

Strange, that didn't work for me. But I flashed the modded 701. Is it possible to downgrade the BIOS by flashing it to stock 701?

Does the Home key have any other function that control-alt-delete?

9. NePheus

NePheus Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes, one simple click will bring you, when you are in an app or on the desktop, back to the metro startmenu. When you hold the button, it simulates the CTRL+ALT+DEL combination.

Sure, you can easily flash back to the original 701. Just try it and everything should work fine. But why should this button functions be disabled in the modded version? o_O

10. SaintXx

SaintXx Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm not sure. It installed just fine but the hardware button functionality wasn't there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.