Drawing Win device, Cintiq 13HD replacement

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by jubey, Sep 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jubey

jubey Pen Pal - Newbie

Hallo guys and gals.

I am looking for a mobile drawing device to replace my Cintiq 13HD, which performance I really love but which flexibility I don't.

lets start with that one:

1. What is your budget?

the less the better ;), but with the option to sell my Cintiq which is in a very good condition.

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?

would prefer not to

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?

I would prefer a Convertible, but a 2in1 Tablet would be ok too. It has not to be superlightweight…

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?

12-14"

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?

Germany

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?

Not really, but I want to use it for some years.

7. How many hours battery life do you require?

I am ok with am medicore battery life, but a (somehow) replaceable battery would be nice.

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)

Drawing (high Resolution, 12Mp an more). Some photo editing, surfing, light gaming too, but it’s not the focus since I have a solid workstation too.

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?

Windows

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)

Mainly PS (CS6), Krita

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.

Maybe some 2D, nothing demanding

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?

No

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?

FHD maybe more, but too fine resolutions could cause problems with PS CS6. I am very ok with FHD on 13" btw.

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance

Not that important

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom or N-trig?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance

I really like drawing on my Cintiq. Offset at the edges is not a big problem for me. To have too much pressure to activate (like I heard the Surface has to deal with) would surely be a problem. As well as drawing on a slippy glass panel. I also use a Galaxy Note 8.0 with a mat protector, which is fine.

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?

128GB and up, 8GB Ram would be fine or at least the possibility to expand.

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?

HDMI out would be great, more than one USB too.

Another important point is noise. Fanless would be nice, but I am not sure if a m3/5/7 would be fast enough for my needs. At least a nice fan-characteristic would be important. Something you can use in bed at night without getting mad. I had a Fujitsu T902 some years ago and it was way too noisy imo. and with ups and downs all the time. Had to send it back, sadly.

Hope you can help and thanks for your time.
    Bye

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
  2. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Lenovo Thinkpad P40 is not as good a deal as the Thinkpad Yoga 14 which is sold exclusively in the US, but I think it ticks most of your boxes.

No recent lower cost convertibles utilize Wacom EMR, the pen tech found in your Cintiq 13HD. The closest you'll find is the Wacom Cintiq Companion 2, which is due for an update and doesn't meet your fan noise criterion.

jubey likes this.
  3. jubey

jubey Pen Pal - Newbie

yes, Companion is too expensive and there seem to be too many problems (as you mentioned). Sadly.
    Anyway, I dont insist on a passive pen...
    The newest Yoga 14 (called Yoga 460) in fact is available here in Ger, and was so far one of my favorites.... The question is, can it replace my Cintiq + PC?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
  4. surfaceproartist

The TPY 14 has a discrete gpu which the 460 doesn't (in the US). It performs very well but depends on the desktop you're looking to replace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. surfaceproartist

The only real desktop class tablet is the VAIO Z Canvas.

6. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

If you're going for ntrig or Wacom aes though, I wouldn't be completely sure photoshop cs6 and Krita will work well with those.

7. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

AES might drive you crazy. Or not. I find I can't rely on it exclusively. I do pencil work on my AES Dell where drawing speed is high and accuracy isn't vital, and then I do precision inks back home on my Cintiq.

The Fujitsu Lifebook t904/935/936 uses EMR at the same screen size you're used to, but it offers higher resolution. It's a very elegant 2-in-1.

It ought to make a suitable replacement.

There have been mentions of the plastic hinge covering deforming over time, but from what I gather this is merely cosmetic, while the metal hinge component remains strong.

It's an expensive machine, but it's the last of the last modern EMR devices available. If I could get by with a 13.3" screen, I'd probably get one myself. I just think it would be too small for my comfort level.

jubey and Starlight5 like this.
  8. surfaceproartist

Krita isn't a problem on AES machines as long as you can install the Wacom Feel driver for Wintab support. PS CS6 is a different story. Either upgrade to Photoshop CC ($120 annually) or find another modern alternative.

Azzart likes this.
  9. jubey

jubey Pen Pal - Newbie

Ok, thanks a lot!
    Seems more complicated then expected... I should try an AES device first.
    Meanwhile I could give that cube i7 book a try, maybe it is sufficient in combination with the Cintiq/Desktop for my needs.

e: That Lifebook sounds nice, but i doubt that Fujitsu got rid of that annoing fannoise/characteristics (in my first post I was talking about Fujitsu T902 I had problems with, not Toshiba btw. ^^ edited that).
    And it's really expensive...

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
  10. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I've found CS6 to be severely gimped by new Wacom Wintab drivers with weird errors, such as intermittent loss of pressure every few stroke. Error totally went away when I switched to CC. I have a conspiracy theory about this in my head...

jubey and thatcomicsguy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.