Drawing program

Discussion in 'Software' started by Kumabjorn, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

As most if you know, I don't use my tablets for art work, doesn't mean I don't want to try it out every now and then, do I came across this;

https://www.madewithmischief.com/mischief

And so I was wondering if any of our more graphically inclined membership had any experience?

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 4

2. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

It's simple and fascinating as a sketching software.
    Problem is I found the 2.0 version quite slow to the point of being useless on a Cintiq Companion i7 with 8gb of ram: I think it rellies much on graphic card and the intel hd 4000 wasn't enough for it.
    Don't know if they resolved this problem.

3. ron2k_1

ron2k_1 calibuchi Senior Member

If you want to get your feet wet then probably you should try Sketchbook Pro 7. It costs 60 US bucks on the Autodesk website but I've seen the digital version sold for 40 something on Amazon.

It's very intuitive, simple and smooth to use and lots of tutorial videos on the net.

Swiped from my Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk

4. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

It's been recommended to me by friends who use it on iOS/OS X so I was kind of hoping that they might come out with an Android version so I could run it on Windows/Android, but to be honest I don't know enough about GPU on Android. Maybe it's a program better suited for the Apple platforms?

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 4

5. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

It's actually completely free for students and teachers. You can also try ArtRage touch for free for a week.

Edit: just started a thread on drawing apps for Win8 the other day.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
    Kumabjorn likes this.
  6. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

If you mean Sketchbook Pro there's a version for both Android and Windows.
    Mischief it's only for Windows and Osx. It's pretty, but mot so much as it can justify such high specs requirements to run decently.

7. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I don't understand Mischief.

What do you do with the finished product?

I mean, yeah, you can draw a picture of a girl sitting under a tree, and zoom into the reflection in her eye to reveal a fully-detailed starship, (and through the starship windows, etc.) but...

How do you share that artwork with anybody? Do you just move files around in the Mischief community, or hold up your computer for a friend and say, "Check this out. Zoom into her eye!"?

Seems gimmicky.

If you're not using it for the gimmick factor, then... You're drawing in a vector program. Ick. Vector programs are incredibly useful for certain jobs, but free-hand drawing is NOT where they shine. -They can be okay if all you want to do is draw lines, but if you want to scribble to fill in an area, (like you can do instantly and easily with a real pencil), vector software quickly shows its weakness.

Sketching in MS5 is infinitely more satisfying.

stoneseeker and Kumabjorn like this.
  8. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You can export, no?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

I have Mischief on my T902 to test out for some time now, and I ask the EXACT same thing... what is the potential application of the touted "infinite canvas" in a practical form?? Interactive comics that go inwards (or outwards) for miles instead of page to page? haha... I mean if you export as a jpeg or something all that tiny tiny info crammed in the eye of Ashelle, no one will know or see it. So really, what is the point? What advantage does it hold in any real world scenario for an artist??

And I completely agree about vector, its terrible in contrast to raster for painting and sketching. Vector is very digital in feel, whereas raster has the capacity to feel very organic if need be.

10. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I wish that Microsoft would make Creature House Expression into a Metro app.
    Oh well, at least the old beta preview still works and allows me to use the old brushes from my copy of v1.