Drawing program made from QT wacom example

Discussion in 'Asus (Android)' started by Uterr, Apr 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uterr

Uterr Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi there!

I've deeply changed QT's example of drawing with wacom tablet on QBitmap. So now its new drawing tool for asus eee note, I hope at least somebody will find it useful :)
    So, main features is:
    1)Visible cursor, with it its muck easier to know, where stylus will make a stroke :)
    curs1.jpg curs2.jpg

2)I created layers. You can even draw with transparent colors on it, and hide/show layers :)
    layers.jpg

3)Added some instruments. And while its not that clear on the picture, they are really different. Brush is rather replacing colour under it, while pencil adding colour constantly (until its black)
    instruments.jpg

4)Now you can draw very fine details! Mainly thanx to cursor, and because you can adjust thickness/transparency of stroke
    fine_lines.jpg

So, as for me, scenario of using this functionality is next:
    1)Draw sketch
    2)"Ink" it
    3)Add some shading and colouring (in grey scale X) )
    4)Add some fine details
    5)Add some notes to the panting or something else :)

(oops, here should be more screenshots, but forum not allowing me to upload them :( )

While i am not a painter :D

This painter still have some issues:
    1) You need to save and load each layer separately
    2) No zooming yet
    3) Not much of instruments, because of restricted set of raster operations on QT for eee note :(

Link to the executable:
    older version: http://uterreincz.narod.ru/furspaint.zip
    latest version: http://uterreincz.narod.ru/furspaint1.zip scaling added!
    Just get it from archive, put it to sd card and run it via cute explorer or other file explorer soft :) i dont know how to create installer for eee note yet....

Now about interface, I am really sorry, its not that great :D but here is some tips:
    1) You can change color at brush->brush color menu. You can set any RGB color, but for some reason it saves in grayscale anyway.
    2) You can fill whole layer with white color and opacity you want at Layers->Layer opacity... (255 opacity means totally not transparent layer). And this operation will erase everything at that layer.
    3) Tablet menu doing really nothing good. I just have no time to delete it, before i leave.
    4) File->Open and File->Save saves and opens only single layer, so you must save each layer separately at the time. (because i don't know common format with layers :) so i will make saving to folder all layers later)
    5) w1...w5 and o1...o5 is just presets for width of stroke and opacity
    6) Set... and Set... buttons lets you make your own sensitivity to pressure of pen. It works next way:
    Pen sends pressure levels 0 to 512 (or 256? i don't remember), so when hitting Set... you will firstly enter minimal width/opacity at zero level of pressure, and than you enters coefficient of dividing of pen pressure that will be added to minimal :)
    7) When you pressing Zoom button it changes zoom level 1x->2x->4x->8x->1x...
    And when you pressing Pan magic begins %) it works next way:
    imagine, that your image is not scaled, so when you hit Pan, than Panning mode turned on (sorry i didnt add any notification) and zoomed image will center at the point of the imaginary picture you clicked. (sorry for complication :( )
    To stop panning mode and start to draw at zoomed picture, press Pan again
    8)L1...L5 will select a layer, to work on. V buttons, right to L1...L5 set layer visible or unvisible :)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  2. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

You can always make a second post with additional pictures, btw. That would be helpful. It's pretty cool that you've made this! :) How well does the eeeNote work outdoors, btw? Is it a kind of eInk screen, so that contrast actually increases with bright light? or does it wash out a lot outside? I always wanted the eeeNote to be a kind of mobile outdoor sketcher, but it was abandoned so quickly it just never happened.

3. Steve B

Also, I'm sure you must have, but just in case... have you check out nEeeonDraw? This was an art app developed by another eeeNote user like yourself. Here's a link to the thread. On the last page, on the last post, is an active link to a dropbox file with the source code. It's still live. It may be of some use to you, and he developed his own set of stuff.... ? :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  4. Uterr

Uterr Pen Pal - Newbie

its had never been popular :) well, contrast even outdoor is not great, rather nice, like GBA-s screen without front/back light.. and poor at dim light

5. Uterr

Uterr Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey! nEeeonDraw based on GaintMP, i have not tried nEeeonDraw but tried GaintMP :) as i understand, it is just slight modification :( have no layers and have no on screen cursor %)
    I've made my painter because I wanted real layers and wanted to see cursor while drawing :) its very important for me, allowing to draw much more precise

6. Steve B

Oh, I agree. The concept of Layers and a Screen Cursor are a big deal. I didn't mean to say that I thought your work wasn't helpful and new-- just that there might have been some additional tips and ideas that neon thought up while working on nEEEonDraw that you could take use of. That's all. BTW, were you able to figure out a way to create anti-aliasing with your drawing program? That was always a bummer with the eeeNote, since everything is pixelated. Seems like a limitation no one was ever able to get around.

Great work btw!

7. Uterr

Uterr Pen Pal - Newbie

well, i turned on anti-aliasing in QT, it became more smooth (but you cant draw precise points then :) ), i am going to add option to torn it on and off while drawing

8. adamherst

adamherst Pen Pal - Newbie

I've only had time to do a quick smoke test but it's running for me. I'll try to do a bit more drawing this weekend and let you know how it goes. Thanks for your work.

Adam

9. Uterr

Uterr Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey guys and girls (if any)! I going to vacation for a week or two. But before that I uploaded new version for you :) link is at first post. I also added some tips about interface in first post. New version can zoom your picture, if you want to make some really fine details.

10. RAMSES II

RAMSES II Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you Uttr

Tried your app - it works great !

This was missing on EEE note ...

good work indeed

cheers !