Drawing laptop

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by kotkot, Jun 29, 2018.

1. kotkot

kotkot Pen Pal - Newbie

1. What is your budget?
    1000$

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?
    Yes

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?
    Tablet pc

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    more than 13-inches

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?
    Europe

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)
    Drawing

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?
    Windows

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)
    Graphic software: Photoshop, Sai, Clip paint Studio

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.
    No

Screen Specifics

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom EMR, AES or N-trig?
    I prefer wacom and I need something above 1048 pen pressure levels

Hello. I'm looking for a tablet pc to draw. I already used Toshiba tecra m7 and Fujitsu t series 5010 and I really loved them. I also tested a Microsoft surface 3 but I didn't like it at all. I seen there's a lot Lenovo Yoga laptops but mostly they are sold without pens so I'm kinda afraid to buy them for an art.

2. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

There aren't many options available for Tablet PC's with Wacom EMR unfortunately and the situation is worse in Europe. There are more choices of machines quipped with Wacom AES pen tech. AES v EMR is a subject of great debate if you care to search the subject. Personally I'm firmly in the EMR camp, and shall remain there until AES or some other technology offers the same or better pen characteristics as the current EMR experience.

If you know someone in the US you could import a Notebook 9 Pro machine if you really want Wacom EMR pen tech. The N9P units are only available in North America or S. Korea. For your budget you would be hard pressed to ship one over anywhere near your budget, especially if you have to pay EU VAT etc. The 13" models are the most affordable with 8GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics and 128GB SSD. There are also two 15" Models available - the lower cost model has 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD and ATI 540 2GB RAM 3D graphics card. The top end 15" model has 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD and ATI 540 2GB graphics card.

The RAM is soldered so can't be upgraded. The SSD is easy to change and can be upgraded to an NVME SSD, the standard SSD supplied is SATA (slower than NVME but plenty fast enough for normal use).

Best Buy have a $150 discount available on the 15" 16GB, 256GB model. The offer will end either tomorrow or Sunday. Cost fo a new boxed unit with the discount is $1199.99 plus TAX 7-8 percent ish depending on the State. Open-Box units are available right now for $1020 with he discount plus TAX. Best Buy regularly discount these units every couple of months it seems. Afaik Best Buy do not ship internationally so if you went that route you would need organise shipping inside the US and then forward on to Europe (expensive and time consuming process, unless you know someone traveling to the US and back). The Samsung US On-line store may ship international but they rarely have discounts. And I think the machines specification may not be the same as the units available from Best Buy. Iirc the units from Samsung directly have the Intel Gen 7 2 core chip (still a fast machine and fine running Clip Studio Paint for example). The CPU situation may have changed since I last checked? The 2018 model from Best Buy have the Intel Gen 8 4 core chip.

Samsung have a number of machines in the Notebook 9 line so if you do order one make sure you order the 2017/2018 Pro version with S-Pen.

See this thread for more info http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/thr...nd-15-flippers-with-windows-10-and-spen.72302

In Europe the Samsung Galaxy Book 10 and 12 inch models are available, which are Windows tablet devices but they do have Wacom EMR pen tech and higher resolution screens. People seem to be very happy with the drawing experience on the Galaxy Book machines.

See this thread for more info http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads/samsung-galaxy-book-discussion-thread.71795

Where abouts in Europe are you? You may find a unit on Ebay or Amazon, but new ones from those sources tend to be more expensive than the US retail price, from what I saw before I managed to imported my N9P.

Someone else may have a better suggestion that's closer to your budget and directly available in Europe?

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  3. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I don't know what's going on right now, but there are several good eBay used/refurb deals on the Samsung N9P which will ship to Europe.

There's a 13" for only $625 USD

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-No...075151?hash=item2aad5b67cf:g:XpcAAOSwkJZbFaMu

And three 15" ones in the $1100+ range (a fair bit over your budget, but maybe not a killer reach.) -Two are refurbs which match BestBuy's shelf price for new, with the advantage of actually shipping outside the U.S. BestBuy is quite draconian about only selling within the U.S. for some weird-ass reason.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-No...365845?hash=item4b479309d5:g:mZYAAOSwfXFbNkv3

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-No...535336?hash=item56a365a628:g:kAMAAOSwb3lZ50KJ

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-No...535336?hash=item56a365a628:g:kAMAAOSwb3lZ50KJ

If you're of a mind to leaping back in time to the previous TPC generation, then Fujitsu's laudable Lifebook t902 is available used on eBay for around $200 these days. That model was a giant in its time, and there are a few members here still running them today.

Shizaru likes this.
  4. Martinn

Martinn Pen Pal - Newbie

Yoga 720 15 (I just got one). It came with pen btw! I assumed it wouldn't and ordered the Bamboo Ink - unneccessarily. At least now I have a spare pen.
    I don't understand your issue of the Yoga not shipping with pen - you can always buy one, if the device supports Wacom EMR and if it still fits in your budget.

- Martin

5. yodamiked

yodamiked Pen Pal - Newbie

Just to clarify, the Yoga 720 uses AES.

6. Martinn

Martinn Pen Pal - Newbie

My mistake, yes AES, not EMR. Confused it with my Intuos. And the Bamboo ink has Wacom AES and N-Trig...

7. pigeontongue

pigeontongue Pen Pal - Newbie

Lenovo Yoga 920 for a drawing laptop.