Drawboard changes payment model

Discussion in 'Software' started by DRTigerlilly, May 10, 2017.

1. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

Inserting pages pages to an existing PDF works, as does inserting pages to a single page blank document.

2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I finally tried myself. I can create a blank PDF just fine by going to Tabs > + > Blank document > Create document. I don't see any prompt for Pro signup. Do you see something different? If I choose any paper other than blank, it does prompt for 'Pro'. Seems like 'ruled paper' would maybe be better as a one-time in-app purchase, but that's just my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2017
  3. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Pardon a dumb question, but couldn't you just open a new document in another PDF app with ruled paper and save that, the open it in Drawboard?

alistair likes this.
  4. DRTigerlilly

yes, eventually found that workaround....
    the point is that you used to be able to do it with the paid software before the new paywall...
    So you bought a product, they upgrade it, and you lose functionality...

5. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

@DRTigerlilly I see you opened an old post, and added a page to it.. :) I feel violated!

But yes, I could make a ten page blank pdf no problem. Only with blank pages though, not with ruled pages.

6. alistair

alistair Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi DRTigerlilly, I can understand that you would like to use templated lines and overlays. This was not available pre-PRO tier, so we made sure that we weren't taking anything away from current users. This is a new feature that is within the PRO tier.

7. DRTigerlilly

Sorry for messing up your post earlier @JoeS I was trying to reply to your post and edited your post by mistake.

My post should have just been in reply "Try to make a new multipage blank document"

Anyways...I'm done
    my unrighteous indignation hath runneth over...
    There are workarounds...though quite frankly don't see why users who supported them should have to jump through hoops...

EDIT:

@alistair I WAS WRONG, and I apologize, Templates were never a Drawboard PDF Feature, and there is an alternative route to create a blank PDF Notebook without triggering the PRO featureset.

Also agree with @JoeS that $4 a month if that's the only PRO feature you need won't appeal to many.

Last edited: May 12, 2017
    Bronsky, alistair and JoeS like this.
  8. alistair

alistair Pen Pal - Newbie

No problems. We will do our best to match usage/value with the model we use. I realize that some people only need certain features and not the whole range, but we also want to keep it as a simple structure so it's not confusing at the same time. It's good to hear what people use and over time I'm sure we will find the right balance and options available!

9. md8

md8 Pen Pal - Newbie

mdc commented · Just Now · Delete

Hi alistair.
    I hope you're still hanging around here.

I totally understand the direction you decided to take drawboard and the need for a subscription model, but managing a PDF (merging, adding pages, rearranging) is something even free apps on the store like xodo allow.

If financially viable, please consider making PDF managing capabilities available to all, and in a single consolidated UI. It's really the only thing missing for a causal user. e.g. as a student, I often need to merge a lecture and a paper, or the rearrange pages in lectures.

On a side note, while I can't justify a PRO subscription for me as a student/individual, I wouldn't mind making a contribution to support the development of the app once in a while. Goodreader on the ipad asked to repurchase the app to get the new features a few times already (every couple of years or so, I think), and usually for a special promo price in the first month. I would do that for drawboard too, even with just bug fixing, UI updates and small enhancements and refinements to the existing non-PRO capabilities.

Thanks!