Drawboard changes payment model

Discussion in 'Software' started by DRTigerlilly, May 10, 2017.

1. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

I noticed a few months ago that Drawboard started a subscription based model to their Drawboard PDF Program under the Drawboard PDF Pro moniker...

just realized today that even to add a page or to add lines to a page triggers needing to pay for the subscription based PDF Pro...

seriously???:mad:

Last edited: May 10, 2017
  2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Wow, really? That's pretty annoying.. I haven't noticed because I've been using PDF Expert on my iPad Pro (trying to convince myself that I didn't waste money buying that thing..)

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2017
  3. DRTigerlilly

I hadn't been using it as much for notetaking either, didn't like it...ink didn't flow as well as OneNote or Xodo to me.

Every so often I"d go back to it, to annotate PDF's.

It was brought to my attention by another Reddit user, who was now looking for an alternative because of the new paywall...

But I did spent my money to purchase it....as did that user...

Last edited: May 10, 2017
  4. JoeS

I liked it before I started cheating on it with PDF Expert. Apart from the more confusing UI after their big revamp, I really enjoyed the toolbar customization. I'm a compulsive multi-color annotator, so being able to put a bunch of custom pens and highlighters along the screen edge was pretty sweet.

Too bad they're putting simple things behind a paywall. It used to be that only truly advanced uses required a subscription. Let's see if they reconsider.

WillAdams likes this.
  5. alistair

alistair Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey guys, I understand the frustration - no one likes spending money on apps.

We were faced with either coming out with Drawboard PDF 2. Drawboard PDF 3 each year (at higher prices with more advanced functionality), or to start a premium tier that will get even more awesome over time. Ultimately, we still have a dedicated team working on Drawboard PDF with a user base that only paid $10 for the app once years ago, so we need to match the usage with the revenue that pays our bills otherwise we can't bring out updates. We also had a large number of preinstall users from Surface Pro 4 and Book who haven't paid for the app, and get it for life, so we need a way to maintain the app. The PRO tier doesn't take any features away from what was originally in the app and so you're not missing out on anything by not subscribing. We are going to continue updating the base app as well with new features. In short, we simply couldn't support the app with a customer base paying $10 (or less) once for the app in, say, 2014, so this is a way to ensure development is matched with what feeds our team.

You can also interpret what I'm saying as: if you don't subscribe you still get lifetime updates with just the once off purchase whenever you made it (could be years ago) with no further spending, which could be viewed as a great outcome for those inclined. We have big plans to progress the app (base and PRO) in coming months/years to make sure the money is well worth it. I hope this makes sense, and we're always happy to keep taking feedback.

I also wrote about this here a few months ago: https://drawboard.uservoice.com/kno...ave-we-chosen-the-payment-structure-that-we-h

- Alistair

Last edited: May 11, 2017
    Starlight5 and JoeS like this.
  6. JoeS

Hi Alistair, thanks for chiming in on the TPCR forum! I think you guys are offering a ton of functionality and support for little money, no complaints there from me. I also think you made the right move by not suddenly putting existing 'free' functionality behind a Pro paywall. That should minimize user backlash. But is it true that adding a page to a PDF is a Pro feature?

WillAdams likes this.
  7. alistair

alistair Pen Pal - Newbie

No that's not true. Anything that was available before PRO is still available - including adding blank pages. There is a new 'document builder' included in PRO which allows concatenating PDFs.

WillAdams and JoeS like this.
  8. JoeS

To summarize, @DRTigerlilly, it seems that you have fallen victim to fake news. :)

So maybe the thread title should be Drawboard changes payment model, ensuring sustained updates for all users without taking away any functionality

alistair likes this.
  9. DRTigerlilly

@JoeS It's not fake news, I redownloaded Drawboard, and tried to make a notebook or New Document, as in a pdf of blank and/or lined pages and the paywall came up.

10. JoeS

Hmm. Maybe the lined pages are considered templates? Does adding a blank page to an existing PDF work? If so I see an easy solution. :D