DragToScroll - Universal Panning

Discussion in 'Software' started by SDreamer, Aug 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SDreamer

SDreamer Scribbler - Standard Member

After months of searching to make Windows 7 a bit more left handed friendly (scroll bars on the right drove me crazy...), I found a program called DragToScroll. This program essentially maps "panning" to right clicks. This allows tablet pc users using their stylus to pan up and down anywhere in Windows that is affected by scroll events (aka the mouse wheel on a standard mouse). It also includes horizontal scrolling and momentum (kinda finicky, but it's cool once you get the hang of it, almost like flick scrolling with your finger). You can find the application at: DragToScroll - Universal Drag & Fling/Flick Scrolling Program should be ran as administrator so settings "stick"

After tweaking it a little bit, I found a sweet spot to make it pretty much pan just like the panning hand in IE. My .ini file contents are below.

Code:
    [ServerSettings]
    LastCheckTime=20110823222644
    LastSentVersion=2.4
    [C:\Program Files (x86)\Ambient Design\ArtRage Studio Pro\ArtRage Studio Pro.exe]
    ScrollDisabled=1
    [General]
    ScrollDisabled=0
    Button=RButton
    DragDelay=100
    PollFrequency=2.5
    DragThreshold=0
    SpeedX=2
    SpeedY=0.25
    UseMovementCheck=0
    MovementCheckDelay=200
    MovementThreshold=0
    ScrollMethodX=ScrollMessage
    ScrollMethodY=WheelMessage
    InvertDrag=0
    UseEdgeScrolling=1
    EdgeScrollingThreshold=15
    EdgeScrollSpeed=2.0
    UseControlTargeting=1
    ConfineToWindow=0
    ConfineToControl=0
    UseAccelerationX=0
    UseAccelerationY=1
    MomentumThreshold=0.7
    MomentumStopSpeed=0.25
    MomentumInertia=.93
    UseScrollMomentum=1
    DoubleClickThreshold=500
    UseDoubleClickCheck=1
    UseGestureCheck=1
    GestureThreshold=30
    GesturePageSize=15
    GestureBrowserNames=chrome.exe,firefox.exe,iexplore.exe
    UseUpdateCheck=1
    ChangeMouseCursor=1
    Some notes regarding the .ini file. You can manually add programs so each program has their own settings, in mine, I use Art Rage, and I have it disabled so I can use the native right-click drag to pan in Art Rage.

2. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

This is pretty cool, though it's definitely for the advanced user, as certain switches can lock things up so that it's impossible to navigate the desktop without manually shutting the program down with the 'three-fingered-salute' (ctrl+alt+del).

But that's true of some of the most powerful software; it actually does what you tell it to do even it that happens to include self-destruct routines. But if you take the time to tinker with this program, you can have a pretty useful navigation tool at your disposal.

I don't need it, however, since for Photoshop I just use the keyboard spacebar as the toggle for the hand tool, which serves me well. And for browsing, I use the "Grab & Drag" Firefox add-on.

But otherwise, this is a good find. If you don't have an easy keyboard option, I can see why you'd like this.

3. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hmmm! I wonder if MS will take something like this on-board for Windows 8? I must admit that the scroll bars should be available on the right AND left of any option etc. That includes the start button...

Come on MS, we know that you can do it, show the love for the left handed people out there.

4. pmatulew

pmatulew Scribbler - Standard Member

There is already a checkbox in the tablet pc settings dialog box to optimize for left or right hand operation. They just need to include the scroll bar swap in that setting.

5. dirtyvu

dirtyvu Pen Pal - Newbie

it's very easy to set Microsoft Office and Firefox to have left-sided scroll bars. but yeah, it would be nice to have a universal setting

6. SDreamer

How do you set Office to have left handed scroll bars? I know OneNote is just a check box tick, but everything else I have to have a right-to-left language to change scroll bars.

7. dirtyvu

dirtyvu Pen Pal - Newbie

What is wrong with enabling the language option to have left-handed scrollbars?

I have my enabled editing languages as Arabic (Egypt) and English (United States).

Of course, I have no need for Arabic but it allows me to have left-handed scrollbars.

After enabling Arabic as a second language, under Advanced options under the Display properties, it'll now show a "left scroll bar" option. But you don't have to use Arabic.

8. SDreamer

I've tried doing this with Hewbrew, but it didn't seem to work for me. How exactly did you do it? Are you using Windows 7? I'd love to give this another try.

Edit: Nevermind, I see that now. It works for Office only, thought it would be a global Windows thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.