Downgrading to XP from Vista and get BSOD

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by californiabao, Sep 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. californiabao

californiabao Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, I am new here and I apologize if this subject has been discuss over and over, but I couldn't find it when I did a search. I just wanted to know how to downgrade from vista to windowsxp without getting the blue screen in the installation setup stage.

This is the problem, everytime I insert the WindowsXP CD in and it loading all the drivers then when it ready to start the windows process, the blue screen comes up. Do I need a special driver when that F6 comes up and where can I find it? Please help :( Thanks again for reading this thread.

My Specs:
    HP Pavilion tx 2000
    AMD Turion X2
    ATI Radeon Graphic Card
    SATA Western Digital 7200rpm 300gig 16mb
    3gig Ram

2. californiabao

Nevermind, I managed to get it working :) and now I having difficulty with the graphic card. When I install the NVIDIA Windows XP Display Driver, it will display "The NVIDIA Setup program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware. Setup will now exit" If anyone got a solution and gone thru this problem, please help.

3. miner

miner Scribbler - Standard Member

In your first post you mention that you have an ATi graphics card. Why are you trying to install nvidia graphics drivers?

4. californiabao

Thank you for replying. Honestly, it shows ATI graphic card decal sticker next to the AMD on the laptop but on the mfg box, it shows NVIDIA, so I guess they are two different mfg. I tried different version of NVIDIA windowsXP drivers and same error msg. Maybe I am doing something wrong here. Plus if I go to ATI site for the driver, I don't know what to get too. Sorry for the confusion.

5. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

if you have a tx2500 you have ati graphics, ati uses a universal driver download for all their chipsets, so this should work

If you have a tx2000 you need nvidia graphics, if you downloaded them from nvidia, you'll have to do a manual install after they've extracted. Device Manager, locate the display adapter, right click and update driver software -> browse my computer for driver software -> let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer -> have disk, then point to the folder with the extracted drivers, normally C:\Nvidia and select the nvdisp ~.inf file.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  6. californiabao

Today after spending countless of hours trying to install the correct drivers, I realized my laptop is tx2510, so the graphic card is ATI! Thank you Drtigerlilly for your advice about manually installing the driver and it works plus I got all the drivers installed and no more question marks in the device manager! I think I am about done, only issues left is the rotation on the screen, did I lost that now since I converted to windowsXP? And the other question; before when I was using vista, i could choose the power level settings, meaning I could set it to save power, balance power or high performance to save the battery poewr , is there anything similar to vista for xp? Thanks again for all your help?

7. DRTigerlilly

to get rotation unless you use the drivers from HP, you'd have to manually edit the drivers to include rotation.

I don't know how to do it for the ATI drivers, but i think you should be able to find either drivers w/ rotation enabled or instructions in one of the XP tx2500 threads here on our site.

hmmm it'd been a while since i've used XP...i don't think power settings are built into XP quite that way from my recollection i am likely wrong) but you could use a program like notebook hardware control to achieve similar control.

8. DRTigerlilly

9. peternixon

peternixon Pen Pal - Newbie

hey, im also trying to downgrade to xp with a tx2000 and i am coming across a blue screen. may i ask how you solved this problem. here is a pic of the blue screen (taken on a rubbish phone camera, sorry!)

http://img16.imageshack.us/i/dsc00872de.jpg

10. DRTigerlilly

as previously said, you need to slipstream the sata drivers to the XP installation OR put the sata drivers on a floppy disk drive (who owns on of those anymore :confused:) and press f6 once you get into the XP setup and add the Sata drivers there.

List of drivers and slipstream instructions can be found here

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.