dont know whats going in my pc

Discussion in 'Windows Vista OS' started by Colin Ramos, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Colin Ramos

Colin Ramos Pen Pal - Newbie

hi,

my disk space is decreasing day by day all I do is just surf internet and run few programs.I don't know wats going on.Is it registries prob or virus trouble..this also make my PC slow ...it also showing some errors like "Access is denied"..need a solution or tool if any..??

Thanks.

2. adam.mt

adam.mt Super Moderator Senior Member

It's probably Windows restore points, the built in Disk Cleanup tool should help clear these. Right-click you hard disk icon, choose properties and reduce the amount of storage space assigned to the function.

You could also download and run CCleaner. Make sure to read the help and warnings messages though, so that you understand what it's doing.

3. Lord Chavez

Lord Chavez Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,

The reason behind disk space decreasing it may be virus or distorted registries as they take a big space in background..I can suggest that you do scan for viruses & corrupted registries.. there is this one application
    Advanced System Optimizer that can help u in scanning for viruses & even in cleaning and Optimizing registry..as it has good registry optimizer with it...its utilities named..
    System Protector & Registry Cleaner + Registry Optimizer
    help u in dis prob..!!

It has some other useful utilities also..!!

Works fine..!

4. ScubaX

ScubaX Level 90 Mage Senior Member

Could be a virus which will take increasing HD space as it loads up more viruses and info that would be spammed out. Could be a dying HD or just a problem with its tables.

You don't really say how much space your loosing. Just browsing will use a little as cookies are added and pages are cached.

Also MS does use space for the restore points.

What makes me think its malware or HD failure is the problem with "Access is Denied". Are you running as admin? What files are you being denied?

To start with make sure you have all your data backed up. Then run an up to date anti-virus and run a full scan.

You can go to eset.com and use the free online scanner from them. If your browser will not let you go their, your definitely infected.

After that type MRT into search and run it. This is MS's Malicious Software Removal Tool. Run a full scan and be prepared for it to run for a day or two depending on your HD size and processor speed.

5. Kyle Porter

Kyle Porter Veteran Moderator Senior Member

I'd recommend running Malwarebytes and Combofix first to check for malware. Then go use ccleaner to clean up your system, and to free up some space.