Does the Surface Arc Mouse have middle mouse button?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by daddyfish, Sep 26, 2021.

1. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member

I need a thin & light bluetooth mouse that I can easily put in my bag so I was looking at Surface Arc Mouse and clones such as HP Elite Presenter, but do these mouses have a middle mouse button? (like what is often used for eg rotation in CAD or 3D software) Or does the middle part only function as a scroll?

2. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

If I remember right, the Arc Mouse is a touch sensitive scroll strip, which yes, does allow you to tap on the strip to use middle mouse.

However, with it being just a touch strip, it's not as accurate as an actual button.

Also, I've had like two of these mice die on me.

Edit: Looks like I'm thinking of an older version.

daddyfish likes this.
  3. nyb72

nyb72 Scribbler - Standard Member

I had an arc mouse a while ago, and didn't find the "middle scroll wheel" feel to be conducive to zooming at anything with precision.

Maybe I had an older version, but never got a new one because the old one broke. The bending mechanism no longer switched on the mouse after a short time. So I was unwilling to try again.

daddyfish likes this.
  4. daddyfish

5. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Honestly, they are both grossly compromised and terrible.

Try and make space for a small cheap Logitech or their MX 3 Anywhere if you can.

daddyfish likes this.
  6. nyb72

For the most compact packable mouse for my CAD/3D work, I use an Elecom clip mouse. I found it far more comfortable to use compared to the bendable flat packing mice. And the Elecom has an actual physical scroll wheel.

daddyfish likes this.
  7. daddyfish

I think I am getting a cheap mouse than or a Surface Mouse, my collaque has the latter and its great but it does lack side buttons.

8. nyb72

Researching this more now, Elecom now has a "Pro" version of the CapClip mouse. The newer version now has the scroll wheel capable of registering sideway clicks offering more horizontal click options. There is also an additional "back" button further rearward of the scroll wheel.

[​IMG]

Definitely getting this for on-the-go CAD work, as it's only $25 which is cheaper than what I got the original version for.

daddyfish likes this.
  9. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I like the Surface Precision Mouse which is a little larger and does have side buttons. I like it a lot - it's Bluetooth and wired, fits my hand nice, has ARM64 drivers (which Logitech doesn't have), and all around works well. However, the soft touch coating on the sides of it is absolutely awful. It looks like the Mobile mouse doesn't have that though.

daddyfish likes this.
  10. daddyfish

, as a side note, it is awesome that can put so much in such a small device. The only downside for me is that it is hard to get in Europe it seems. But have not looked at ebay yet and maybe there is a clone. Will dig some more further. :)

, I heard good things about the Precision Mouse but it is too big for my use case. I need the mouse sporadic but it is a bit random when I need it, hence it is best if I always have one in my bag.