Does the slate have a max limit for the SD card slot?

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by 2jz gze, Dec 4, 2011.

1. 2jz gze

2jz gze Pen Pal - Newbie

Sorry I tried to search but couldn't find the answer. Basically what size sd card can the slate handle?

TIA

Julian

2. Boyd

Boyd Pen Pal - Newbie

Don't know, but I have a 32GB SDHC card in mine and it works fine.

3. 2disbetter

2disbetter Function over Form

It would appear that it supports sdxc cards which has a current limit of 64gb. However this isn't the real limit. As soon as technology allows for larger capacities it should support it as well.

128gb is the current max for that format.

2d

4. Steve S

Steve S Scribbler - Standard Member Super Moderator

<<...It would appear that it supports sdxc cards which has a current limit of 64gb...>>

2d is correct. If I recall correctly, an SD card slot that supports SDHC will also support SDXC. So you should be able to use any current SDxx card in your Slate.

Note that just like any other product, users have reported various experiences with different brands of cards. Card failures are not rare, but they're also not common. In many cases, you get what you pay for...

5. revmike

revmike Scribbler - Standard Member

I have a 64gb sandisk sdxc card in my slate and it works perfectly.

6. 2jz gze

2jz gze Pen Pal - Newbie

7. ships10

ships10 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

8. revmike

I saw that card and seriously considered buying one, but I think for that price I would rather have a 128gb ssd drive instead. Ships10 that is a much better price.

9. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Nice price. Still haven't made a dent in my 32GB SD :eek:.

10. ships10

I am also seriously considering buying a 128gb ssd and putting it in the slate.
    I was able to pry open the slate (required some fine handywork!)to look at the ssd...it is very possible to replace it. Oh, I did put it back together...in case you were wondering...with no deleterious effects on the slate ....lol!

There is one for $239 : MyDigitalSSD 128GB Bullet Proof Half Slim SATA II SSD | My Digital Discount
    Yes, this would fit perfectly into the slate. It is the half slim type....just what the doctor ordered!!

11. ships10

Once I transferred my itunes media library to my 32 gb sd card( to free up space on my ssd).....I knew I needed more space..in both categories!

12. revmike

Thats exactly the one I was going to purchase. I'm still holding out hope that my ideal slate will come sometime in the near future. So I'm holding off for now, but after march when my warranty is up, I'm going for it. Keep us posted if you decide to install this ssd in your slate. I have my itunes library as well as my ebooks on my 64gb sd card.

13. 2jz gze

2jz gze Pen Pal - Newbie

Good replies guys. Replacing the SSD seems like an option, but I'd rather have 64gb ssd + 128 gb Flash as opposed to a 128gb ssd. Seems too much of a hack job.

14. revmike

How is that a hack job? You take out the 64gb ssd and replace it with a 128 one.

15. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

From all my experience with computers (desktops, laptops, Tablet PC's, ect...) I have found that any removable drive/ device -especially ones that connect through USB, or through a USB bus- tend to have a good number of issues develop (most of the time they get corrupted or wear quickly which leads to bad/ corrupted/ lost data), especially when used often or left in the computer during sleep/ shutdown/ startup of the computer, or when removed without 'safe ejecting' it. and on top of that, they are DOG SLOW compared to an internal drive... the SD cards and other memory sticks are usually the worst of the worst in regards to this all,

just my 2cents, but dealing with all the pitfalls of a SD card (especially speed and reliability) is in no way made up for by the portability and ease of use of i as a removable drive... put simply they are a PITA!

If you want reliability and speed then get a internal SSD upgrade, if you want storage space and don't care about your device crapping out on you at any random time and want it to be ultra slow (USB 2.0 at very best, more than likely though you will only see 8-12MB/s -part of which is because the card won't run at rated speeds, and part because the internal SD reader is hooled u through a limited USB bus) then get a SD card...

16. 2disbetter

2disbetter Function over Form

another option, which is pricey, is to get a usb SSd card. Lacie has one called the FastKey. It supports USB 3.0 and is backward compatible with all prior USB standards.

The advatange is portable storage, and longevity. A ssd will not fail or have data corruption during its life time, where as a SD card is not designed to be accessed nearly as many times.

The only downside, is they are larger and more costly.

2d

17. 2jz gze

2jz gze Pen Pal - Newbie

I believe Rick mentioned in another post that there are tight tolerances with the way the cables are routed and putting a harddrive not to oem specs just seems like a hack job to me. Obviously, I am only assuming right now, so if anyone would install one and post a DIY, I stand corrected. I think if it was an easy enough job, someone would have done it already, but that's just my opinion.

18. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

The Slate 500 is just a year old. A lot of buyers don't upgrade a unit until after the warranty expires. That is probably the main reason you haven't seen a lot of experimenting with hardware on the slate.

19. 2jz gze

2jz gze Pen Pal - Newbie

Point taken. Thanks for the reply.

**on a different note, are you going to write a review of your Folio Keyboard when it comes in?

20. ships10

" dealing with all the pitfalls of a SD card (especially speed and reliability) is in no way made up for by the portability and ease of use of i as a removable drive... put simply they are a PITA!"

I agree....this is one reason I am very keen to put in a new bigger and faster ssd ...like the I one posted earlier.
    Yes, the tolerances are tight ...but from what I saw when I opened the slate...the ssd is very replacable. I wish the price comes to under $200!
    I guess I will also need to image the drive using acronis.
    Any other ideas how to reinstall the old drive onto the new one?