does anyone use an old IBM ThinkPad stylus on vivotab note8 ?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by nati, Jun 11, 2015.

1. nati

nati Pen Pal - Newbie

hi everyone!
    i have bought a lenovo x200 digitizer pen from eBay as a replacement for the avn8 original included pen:
    (http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...o+x200+pen.TRS0&_nkw=lenovo+x200+pen&_sacat=0)

this pen works on my tablet, but there are some issues:
    1. the tip is too sensitive so it looks like it doesn't have pressure sensitivity at all!
    2. the eraser is just the opposite - it is insensitive in a manner that the only way to use it is to hover it over the screen while pressing it with the finger.
    i can press it hard on my tablet but i don't want to break the screen...

iv'e tested it on several apps, including OneNote, windows journal, bamboo paper and papyrus.

i'm aware that the pen was not designed for asus tablets, yet i'm curious -
    did anyone had a better experience with that pen?

thanks in advance!

2. dombeef

dombeef Pen Pal - Newbie

Ive used the same exact one(except for orange tip, and grey eraser part, still same pen though), and I havent really had any issues on it...

1. My tip sensitivity works, I had a similar issue with an entirely different tablet(wacom bamboo tablet), it ended up being that the pen was broken(the pcb in the pen was moving around, causing it to not see any pressure sensitivity)
    2. I had a similar issue, where the eraser was "always on" so I had to just bob my eraser part above and below the active area of the wacom screen for it to work. It turned out that the eraser part was jammed and stuck, after I loosened it it worked just fine.

It seems like an issue with your pen to be honest.

WillAdams and nati like this.
  3. nati

nati Pen Pal - Newbie

thanks dombeef!
    got any idea how to fix that pen? did you fix your pen or just replaced it?

actually the tip sensitivity is not really critical for me since i only use it for taking notes, but if there is a way to fix the pen i will be glad to know...

4. dombeef

dombeef Pen Pal - Newbie

It had a bunch of issues(was from my old X61 that still works) like the eraser stopping working, as well as me creating a button out of a credit card since the original "right click" button was lost. Another issue I had was where the eraser button would still move around, but stayed on due to there being too much alcohol in it from the last time I cleaned it, a simple pop out and wait to dry fixed that issue

I simply just tore it down for fun and replaced it, a new one is like 10 dollars now, last I checked on ebay.

Have you tried different wacom software? I faintly remember hearing that some different versions cause issues, I am currently on the stock wacom firmware thats available in asus's software section for this device, Ive been too lazy to actually look around for which versions work and which dont.

You could also try to wiggle the eraser, idk if you can take out the eraser pcb assembly, I was able to.

5. T-ravisty

T-ravisty Scribbler - Standard Member

I've tried to replace my one for my x230t and have had similar issues.
    It was a real cheap one from eBay so I'm thinking I'll buy the OEM one and see how that goes.

6. HeavyHanded

HeavyHanded Windows Tablet PC Zealot!

I had the same issues. I tried using a cheap OEM Lenovo x200 pen on my Vivotab Note 8. I couldn't get any pressure sensitivity to work either.