Does anyone NOT have problems with the x61t?

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by student, Feb 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. optobear

optobear Pen Pal - Newbie

I've been reading so many negative threads on Lenovo's x61t in this forum lately that I'm getting a bit discouraged about my new purchase.

I ordered my x61t (SXGA+) at the end of December and it had an estimated ship date of Jan 24, and on Jan 23 I checked it and it was delayed to Feb 18. I really hope there won't be any more delays since I'm practically counting the minutes until I get it since I really need it in school. Currently I'm just using my normal Thinkpad x40 with an external Wacom tablet, but it's definitely not easy to use this way.

I'm a big fan of Thinkpads since my dad works for IBM and my family owns 4 Thinkpads (all before it became Lenovo), but reading these negative posts about Lenovo lately has really discouraged me to the point where I'm considering canceling my order and shelling out $500 more for the new Toshiba m700 which has received nothing but good reviews (I have 2 classmates who just bought in December and are already using it in class, I've played with it and the build quality is AMAZING).

So is there anyone who has NOT experienced issues with the bezel (seems like that has affected EVERYONE?!) or other problems with cheap quality, but is very happy with how their tablet is holding up physically? (I'm not too worried about how it runs, since there doesn't seem to be as many problems with that, most complaints appear to be about physical build quality)

I feel like there is some hope...one of my classmates just got a new x61t about 2 weeks ago and she hasn't said anything about it yet...and I have a friend in med school who got an x61t in August and hasn't said anything negative about it yet either other than battery life wasn't what he was expecting. But almost everything I've been reading on this forum has seemed negative.

So, should I cancel my order and get a Toshiba m700? It'd probably even arrive sooner than when this Lenovo is projected to arrive (assuming it doesn't get delayed more and arrive with dead pixels - if it does, I'll have to go through the hell of fighting with Lenovo to replace the screen). Pretty much the only reasons I bought the Lenovo in the first place were that I was able to get it down to about $1280 (including the dock!) and I've been a Thinkpad user ever since I started using laptops. Actually, this x40 is my first and only laptop, which I use as a desktop replacement, and I'm extremely happy with it, other than it's too slow for today's applications.

2. PrimitiveWall

PrimitiveWall Pen Pal - Newbie

My wife and I are the only people I know with a tablet. She just got a C-140XL (weight was not an issue for her) while I've been using my X61t (multitouch) everyday since August. And I must say, I love it. I've had absolutely no problems with it whatsoever. No bezel issues. No noticeable fan overrun. Five hours of battery life in Vista. The only thing I would recommend is to perform a clean install of your OS when you get it, then install ThinkPad Update and use that to add just the Lenovo software you want. Compared with my last laptop, a Vaio, this one came pretty bloated.

I've know next to nothing about the m700, so this is not a argument against going with Toshiba. This X61, however, is my first ThinkPad, and based on my experience there's a good chance my next computer will be too. Plus, $1280 for an X61 is damn good. I just priced a m700 comparable to my configuration on the Toshiba website, and it came in at over $2000. Ouch.

3. shademar

shademar Pen Pal - Newbie

Understand the misgivings having suffered them myself, but for what it's worth after a few months of x61t ownership I don't regret my choice.

I've had some minor problems which I've reported here, but to be absolutely frank, I think I've been a bit hypersensitive because of the amount of research I've done. (Which is probably an order of magnitude above what I've done in the past...and I've never been a slouch about tech purpose research... That Onion article about the guy who's absolutely shocked that his friend just walks into a store and buys a computer on a whim? I'm that guy (well, gal I guess, but still...)

The more time I spend with my x61t, the more I've come to enjoy it. This also has the dubious honor of being the first laptop I've ever dropped outright from a large height while it was running, and it's suffered not at all from it. .(..although any other laptop might have been fine as well.) Still, I appreciate this, along with things I never considered while first shopping like the niceness of the keyboard.

I've definitely had some bad experiences with the company but, cynic that I've become over the years, I doubt they're that much worse than what people have had with the others. (NB: I don't mean this to let any bad CS off the hook!!) I had some absolutely terrible CS issues with HP on my previous laptop as well, fwiw.

Overall, this has been a great little computer and what misgivings I've had about it have faded over time. That being said if the m700 had been out when I bought this, I would have given it a very hard look (x61t ended up being ~$400 cheaper given the patchwork of sales at the time). Weirdly, I almost think I now prefer the 'fingernail' pressure touch as it offers very accurate input if you're working without the stylus and you have a fingernail to spare.

In any case, best of luck!

4. student

student Scribbler - Standard Member

If you get a good machine you will probably wonder why you ever worried.

However there seem to be a disporportionate number of bad machines out there that suffer from serious quality problems.

Its up to you...

I would go for the M700 since it is fully loaded. Over and above the X61T specifications, its got a built in webcam, firewire, DVD RW drive, indoors and outdoors LED backlit screen, faster processors (upto 2.6GHz if you can afford it).

I was going to get a Fujitsu T4220 to replace my 3 month old X61T but the M700 is looking better by the review...

5. JaneL

JaneL Super Moderator

Well, of course it is. That's the nature of forums like this.

Most people come here looking for help with problems, and very few come just to say things are fine any more than they would for any other appliance they owned. I'm here because in the mid-90's I searched out the IBM ThinkPad forum in CompuServe looking for help getting an MWave modem in a TP755CE working and found a community that grew into a network of communities. User-to-user support became a hobby, and I never left.

FWIW, I got my X61T late last spring and have never had any problems, but I have the XGA MT/MV screen. I don't take any special precautions in how I handle or use it that are different from any other notebook I've had or have. I've dropped it a couple of times but, fortunately, always on carpet.

6. JaneL

JaneL Super Moderator

Lenovo Pixel Policy

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  7. LaptopGuru

LaptopGuru Scribbler - Standard Member

Mine is and has been fine. Specs below, received in October, use daily in office, at home, and travel. Vista is another story, as well as some of the so called vista compatible software, but I'm pretty happy overall.

8. Anonymouse

Anonymouse A nondescript mouse

I've had mine since July, and use it daily, virtually all day long (8 am until 10pm or later). I'm usually plugged in and in notebook mode, but I do frequently go into tablet mode. I haven't had the bezel separation issue, but I am also very careful about how I open the lid and how I convert it to tablet mode (for opening I only push up on the screen where the latch is, not towards the corners, and for converting I basically do the same thing of keeping the pressure around the latch by twisting at that spot with my fingers. I try to avoid any pressure on the side edges or corners). I would have been this way even without hearing about other people's bezel problems, and was just as meticulous with my previous non-tablet notebook.

My most "major" problem is that my TrackPoint apparently stuck a little too far above the keyboard. Scissors fixed that right up for me.

My fan probably does run more often than it needs to (when plugged in and on max performance settings). I've debated geting TPfancontrol to modulate it, but honestly my fan is pretty quiet, and I have to be in a VERY quiet room for me to even notice it is on.

I'll have to second (or third?) those comments about how the reason you hear all these negative comments is that most people just don't come onto these boards to heap praise without saying anything negative(and even if they did, people would think they're just an employee of the company).

I'm not saying the M700 is a better or worse machine, since I haven't had any experience with it myself, but the x61t is a fantastic machine and I don't regret getting it at all.

9. tlewis

tlewis Scribbler - Standard Member

I love my x61. Didn't really expect to...I've had the Tosh M200 and M7 and the Motion ls800...all of which have had their good and bad points. The M200 especially changed the world for me and still stands as an innovative, capable machine.

The x61 has brought back some of that early thrill...the "this is sooo cool!" vibe. Mine is solid, light, quiet and powerful.

(side note: the weak link in my experience, as always, is Windows. Reliably unreliable)

The m700 looks like a great machine as well. But it seems like an apples and oranges comparison, from a size/weight standpoint. For my part, I've gotten seduced by the featherweight heft and surprising power of the x61...

t

10. tjcinnamon

tjcinnamon Scribbler - Standard Member

I ordered my x61 on the 1/21 and received it yesterday 1/30. At one point the status said 2/17 but that quickly changed. They shipped it from China and it got here in 2 Days!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.