Does anyone here use Windows Ink Workspace?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by stoneseeker, Feb 23, 2018.

1. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

There is a small pen icon on my taskbar since the Creators update (I think?) that I never use. In fact, since the creators update I have yet to see any practical daily use scenario in the update, though I should admit I'm still running Windows 7 on my T902, so all my experience is limited to a very non mobile Cintiq22HD on my desktop. Is there practical real world usage for this Ink workspace? Anyone been using screen sketch for instance?

Just curious what functionality I may be missing out on or not know of.

WillAdams likes this.
  2. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

Maybe it's destined for greater things, but right now it has nothing that they couldn't have put in a "Pen & Ink" folder in the start menu.

stoneseeker and WillAdams like this.
  3. ORTOX

ORTOX Pen Pal - Newbie

This. I may have gone into this menu to pull up the Sketch pad three times in the past year. Otherwise, this icon is largely ignored.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  4. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I use Workspace all the time. Only Screen Sketch, and it's mainly because it's a better way to take screenshots for me. Win+Print Screen saves the screenshot as a JPG automatically, but typically when I send someone a screenshot, I want to crop it immediately and then send it. Using screen sketch lets me do that workflow all at once. I honestly wish they'd change the Win+Print Screen shortcut to pull up screen sketch. It's similar to how my Note8 lets me edit the screenshot immediately as well.

djas, thatcomicsguy and WillAdams like this.
  5. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Yeah, I use the SNote screen write feature all the time! I imagine if I had a small slate running Windows 10 I may use screen sketch too for the same reasons.

6. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Huh. I have that too. I didn't explore it a lot, but I can see it being useful for screen caps and quick notes.

I may use it next time I need a bunch of photo references off the web.

Is that thing part of the FCU? I thought I'd avoided downloading that. My pen isn't broken, anyway. I have hover click and text selection working as it always did. (Perhaps that's because I just use Radialmenu to supersede any Windows pen control..?)

stoneseeker likes this.
  7. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It's an icon in your taskbar, and for devices that have a pen with Bluetooth button (aka Surface devices), you can press the pen button to launch it as well. So yeah, if you overrode Windows' preferences you probably would just want to click it from the taskbar. My pen doesn't have a Bluetooth button since my device is Wacom EMR so that's how I load it as well.

I think it actually came with the Anniversary update but I don't remember for sure.

8. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

I do use it for Sticky Notes, usually it is a phone number or mail address I need to jot down. Once it is there I will input it later in my Contact List.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
    stoneseeker and WillAdams like this.
  9. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I use it to make screenshot, crop it, mark something with the pen on it. Before this feature I was using Capture.

10. Frunobulax

Frunobulax Pen Pal - Newbie

I use it as a sketchbook. You can easily import the image into any editing software if you want to work it up. I like the minimal interface, palm/touch rejection (never an issue), and I've come to appreciate the lack of zooming and layers. You choose between two tools and draw. Keeps your mind focused on drawing and idea building. You treat it like a sheet of paper, pretty much. Only beef is you need to type in order to save. An automatic naming system would be welcome.

ATIVQ and WillAdams like this.