Do you write on your Tablet often?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Barry J. Doyle, Nov 28, 2005.

1. Gregdrose

Gregdrose Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, I am going to purchase a laptop and in my reseach I discovered the Toshiba M4. It looks like a great machine but I was wondering if the tablet is just a gimmick or everyone really uses this feature.

I wanted the laptop for surfing the web, word processing, and work. I am an electrician and am constantly walking around jobsites with a pencil and pad making notes for the job and estimates. I usually have a mess of papers and sometimes copy notes over a couple of times to organize my paper work. I am really interested in the feature of writing on the tablet and converting it to a typed document. Does it really work that well? I have an older PDA that I never use because it is a pain to input info. I will also use the laptop for powerpoint presentations and managing my small business(estimates, financial software, and programming control panels).

Lastly I would use the laptop to watch DVD's while traveling.

I was going to get a Dell 9300 ($750 coupon now) which makes the decison even harder.

BTW does it pay to get the three years warranty and accident coverage on any laptop?

2. poetdante

poetdante Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You are getting a tablet for the same reason that I got one. I use my tablet whenever I get the chance. All my schooliong is online so it really helps to have your work on a hard drive and you can print it out if your first copy gets lost. But since I too was skeptical at the quality of the writting aspect (just a tad) I thought it was wonderful to get a convertible, since I could type up papers that way. I have the r15 which is a bit of an older model. The M4 is the latest one from toshiba and is in my opinion the best convertible out there. It has the highes video memory on a tablet so far, great screen (toshiba tablets are known for their screens), and if you put in a gig or so of memory (buy seperatly, it is cheaper) you can do anything a normal laptop would be able to do. just think of the m4 as a laptop (toshiba says that its tablets were designed as laptops in mind) with the tablet part as a bonus.

3. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

This question of whether or not the Tablet PC is just a "gimmick" or here to stay is a common one. I can tell you this much - just look at the names (hardware vendors) who are pushing this platform and it is clear it is here to stay. Dare I say it, but I would just about bet a pinky finger that Dell WILL BE NEXT!

Your other question, is the Tablet PC right for you? Well Dante's reply is just one of many that can give you that answer. I encourage you to hang around our site and read up a bit more. Any other replies from our "real world users" would be greatly appreciated!

4. poetdante

poetdante Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

yes. toshiba is definatly a solid choice. on that note, I once had a gateway laptop, old bugger it was, that had a slim select bay. you could put just about anything in it: spare battery, cd drive, floppy drive, hard drive. it was great. I wish all companies did that.

5. Daring

Daring Moderator

If you are going to carry it from jobsite to jobsite, battery life and weight may be an issue. Fujitsu, HP, & IBM may be better choices if that is a concern to you. Only the Fujitsu has a built in DVD drive, the other two have external drives.

The M4 is a nice machine and does have a built in DVD drive and a bigger screen then any of the tablets mentioned above, but as a consequence it is heavier and has much shorter battery life.

I own the TC4200, and have been very satisfied, but then for me, battery life and portability topped my list.

With regard to watching movies, unless you are going to be watching movies next to AC, forget it. Most of these LT's will have their battery life reduced to 2-3 hours (or less) while watching a DVD.

6. rmawyer

rmawyer Pen Pal - Newbie

I have owned my first tablet for about 2 months now. I was very suprised at how well the handwritting regonition works. My handwritting is probably similar to most doctors, not readable, but my Gateway tablet usually figures it out.

7. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It's good to hear your positive experience in regards to handwriting recognition. This is a primary concern among new users. By the way, welcome to the site.

Barry