Do you use a screen protector?

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by 123456, Jul 7, 2007.

?

Do you use screen protector?

1. Yes

66 vote(s)
    36.9%
  2. No

113 vote(s)
    63.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. optobear

optobear Pen Pal - Newbie

I think I forgot to add my opinion to this thread...

I bought the ExiM screen protector on eBay (still expensive, but not as expensive as the ones that have been mentioned) and I LOVE it. It also leaves about 1 mm on each side but was easy to apply, and in my opinion is pretty thick.

Writing on it is very smooth, and it doesn't smudge very much. Definitely worth getting - I was tired of cleaning those smudges off my screen (I found it very difficult to do)

It gives me a glossy screen but it's not as reflective as laptops that have glossy screens. So I actually like it like this. And I feel a lot better about "abusing" the screen (what I mean is like - writing hard on it, scribbling really fast, drawing, etc)

I don't know how often you have to replace these but I think mine will last a LONG time.

I highly recommend these ExiM screen protectors and would get another one if this one ever tears or anything. For me, I think a screen protector for a tablet pc is not NECESSARY, but is a very nice luxury to have. I don't think I could ever go back to not having a screen protector.

2. match000

match000 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hmm I see. I'd rather have it less smooth to mimic the feel of pencil on paper.

But, thanks for the detailed feedback. It certainly does help alot with people choosing.

3. Arttacla

Arttacla Pen Pal - Newbie

4. keith11

keith11 Scribbler - Standard Member

After two months of using the Writeshield screen protector, there's only one shortcoming that I think bothers me; the screen, although said to be anti-glare, does reflect light, which makes it harder many times to orient the tablet as wished. While talking to other people, I have to make sure every time the light is not reflected to them when they are looking at the screen. Having said this, the pros of having a screen protector outweigh the cons by a great percentage.

Keith.

5. MTXR

MTXR Pen Pal - Newbie

i have the boxwave crystal clear and it is very smooth to write on, but the glare is horrible.

I plan on looking for new screen protectors during the summer months.

6. sano88

sano88 Pen Pal - Newbie

I bought the anti-glare WriteShield from PocketPCTechs.
    I basically put it on after playing with the computer only for a few minutes without the shield, so I can't really say much about my experience pre-shield.

The installation process took a little time, but, as others had noted, at the end I had something on my screen with no bubbles at all. Also, it's definitely true that you can't even tell there's a shield on unless you look really carefully. Using some tape to remove the little pieces of lint that cause bubbles really helps out.

There were two things that confused me about the installation process. First, I didn't realize that when you use the wipes, it leaves this residue that you basically have to "polish off" by wiping with the microfiber cloth pretty hard. After this, it looks really nice. Before this, it looks like crap.

The second thing was that you really have to drop the shield on pretty slowly, using the cardboard to kind of iron out the bubbles at the same time you're dropping the shield (originally I thought I could get out the bubbles afterwards, which you definitely can't, unless the bubbles are on the edge). I wasn't able to follow the directions exactly because it was hard to simultaneously align and peel the shield and push with cardboard. In fact, most of my screen was off the backing before I had finally settled on a forward edge. It also took a little while to get everything really aligned: you have to drop, and then if you're not happy, drop again, and again. The problem is that you have to start at one edge and by the time you realize you're not perfectly aligned, you're halfway across the LCD.

What can I say? It does what it's supposed to. I don't worry about scratching the screen or damaging the screen by writing on it. I don't worry about smudges because I know I can just go wipe the screen clean with anything on hand and it'll be fine. It looks really good. It's a really high-quality shield. Is it worth $60? No. It's a piece of plastic, kind of like the stuff that comes on the screen of your IPod or PSP. Only, you actually have to pay for it. But judging from what I've been reading, it's a superior product than the other laptop shields that are out there. And I'm pretty happy with it.

The last thing I should mention is that the anti-glare is basically unreadable in direct or bright indirect sunlight. I'm not sure where the "anti-glare" part of the shield actually comes in, and it definitely worsens the anti-glare screen properties you'd have au naturale (I have the XGA Multi-touch). There is also some noticeable drop in brightness, but the display is still very readable, especially when zapped up to full brightness.

I'm a pretty critical person, so it might seem like I'm dissing on the WriteShield. The people who make it are making a killing, but yes, it's a worthwhile purchase-- visibly you don't notice that it's on and writing on it feels really natural and fluid. I'm probably going to guess that the kind of person who gets a screen protector in the first place isn't going to be happy with any bubbles or something that looks cheap or scratches up easily. So spend the $60 and be glad that you did. I am.

ps. There are a lot of links out there for making your own screen protector. I was thinking about it, but most of the links mention putting some liquid soap on to act as an adhesive and.. it just doesn't seem like a great idea. But I think that this is something we should consider about a little more. Honestly, it's just a piece of plastic, and any person in manufacturing would have a better idea of where/what that substance is and how we can get a hold of it in big sheets for much cheaper..

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  7. tayyab

tayyab Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,
    I have a couple of minor scratches on the screen but nothing I can see when it is being used. Ony if the screen is black and I look across it in the right light. It still works great and I am overall very happy with it.If u want to know and get the screen protector tips then visits theses sites.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  8. cheesetogo

cheesetogo Scribbler - Standard Member

sano88, did you actually test the X61 outside prior to putting on the screen protector? I ask this because you said that you had only used the X61 for a few minutes before applying the shield.

I'd appreciate it if anyone else would be willing to share their before and after experiences with the Writeshield, specifically outdoors. Please specify whether or not you have the screen with SuperView (SXGA+).

Also, how much time does it to put on?

9. sano88

sano88 Pen Pal - Newbie

I only briefly checked out the computer to make sure everything was running well before I put on the screen protector. I didn't check it outdoors, so hypothetically the screen could have been as unusable in direct sunlight outdoors as it was with the screen protector on.

I have the XGA multi-touch.

The first time I tried to put the protector on it took about 45 minutes. But that's only because I kept on redoing it until I had absolutely no lint under the protector and until it was perfectly centered on my screen. Also, it took me some time to figure out that you have to scrub out the cleaner after spraying it on pretty hard to get the residue off (but thereafter it looks really nice). The next time around I don't expect it to take more than 10 minutes.

10. dspacekd

dspacekd Pen Pal - Newbie

I bought a Writeshield Screen Protector for the X61 Tablet from Pocket PC Techs and it came with 2 protectors. I only needed 1!!

If anyone wants the whole kit I'll send it to them for a fair price. It comes with a whole bottle of Klear Screen and some microfibers cloths and of course the screen protector itself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.