Do you think the venue 8 or 11 would be a good option to hook up to a monitor and use as a FULL TIME computer?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by plasticslug, Apr 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. plasticslug

plasticslug Pen Pal - Newbie

My buddy wants to get a tablet, which will function as his main computer. His use would be that of a normal computer, something that is turned on and used used up to 15 hours day... (daily).

It would be hooked up to a monitor with a keyboard and mouse etc. The screen will not always be on, but the computer itself will be.

At first I thought that this would be a great idea.. but soon remember these tablets do not have fans (baytrail) and I only see these things getting hotter and hotter on the 12-15th hour....

This made me think that this may not be a good replacement as a full time computer.

What are your thoughts?

2. daver

daver Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The i3/i5 editions have fans, so heat isn't a problem.

Why not just get a normal laptop (if it needs to be mobile) and then get a separate tablet for tablet-y things? A tablet would be a horrible "normal computer" due to the hardware limitations and price. (But if there's no financial budget, then just go for it).

My suggestion is get a desktop and an ASUS T100. The T100 is basically the DV11P with a lower resolution screen, but much cheaper (and comes with a keyboard) and easier to swallow as a casual companion tablet.

3. strollin

strollin Pen Pal - Newbie

I have used my DV8P hooked up with mouse/keyboard and external monitor for weeks at a time with no hint of overheating. Depending upon what your friend actually wants to do it may or may not be sufficient. For "normal" tasks such as web surfing, email, word processing, spreadsheets, etc... the tablet will be fine. Other tasks such as video editing or high end gaming, not so good.

4. Modred189

Modred189 Scribbler - Standard Member

It depends. (This in regards to the DV8P)

Mainluy on what he is doing with it. If this is going to be a microsoft word and basic web browsing machine (I say basic to mean no heavy online unity-based games, or long-term 1080p video streaming), then he'll be fine. Mine gets used for a few hours at a time for word processing and note taking in One Note, and it doesn't get that warm, even in a case. If he's doing serious work on it, then he might want to prop it up a bit so it can get air behind the tablet, otherwise there's no reason why the V8P couldn't work as a main PC.

Now, if this is someone who is doing any kind of work that does require some hardware, the answer is probably no. Not because of the heat, but because the Bay trail, while impressive and has changed my opinion of the Atom name, is not fast. So if you're doing photo editing, or compiling code etc, it's just going to take too long to do what you want. He'd be better off grabbing a cheap i3 laptop or the i3 Dell tablets. More expensive and larger, but it'd have the horsepower to do that work.

5. carphead

carphead Pen Pal - Newbie

I actually came here to ask the same question. I thinking of replacing my laptop, which remains connected to a monitor with external mouse and keyboard with an i3 or i5 Venue 11 Pro.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

6. FZelle

FZelle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Venue 11, yes.
    Venue 8, No.

Reason is that it is not that easy to find a solution that allows charging while using usb with the DV8P.

And do you really need an I3/I5 ? The Baytrail is not that slow.

7. tmr

tmr Pen Pal - Newbie

Really depends on your use. I get two days work with my DV8P on an external monitor, mouse, keyboard and Ethernet hookup. That is with spreadsheet, document and internet type of use. This is a main reason I bought the unit. I use it mostly as a tablet but wanted it to replace a laptop as well.

8. Bobmitch

Bobmitch Pen Pal - Newbie

To replace a laptop, the first thing that comes to mind is storage space. The VP8 will max out at 64GB SSD, as well as the Baytrail VP11 (5130). If you go the i3 or i5 route and put at least 128 GB SSD in it and then add an external HDD...I could see that...

9. Mikerman

Mikerman Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

10. carphead

carphead Pen Pal - Newbie

Personally I need an i5 to run an instance of Vmware Workstation. Not very frequently but often enough for it to be a factor.

I'll be going the 128gb plus sd card and an external HDD attached to a docking station

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.