Do you think I need a tablet?

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by ep2012, Apr 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ep2012

ep2012 Tablet Newbie

Ok, so compared to the size of a tablet, how much larger is an ultrabook & can you recommend some good brand names/models.

What are the differences amongst them? Is it just HD & memory differences, or other things as well?

I didn't understand if an ultrabook will fold into a smaller size or what you were saying.

So it basically does everything a laptop does, just on a smaller scale, right? I have to assume it has wifi, but no 3G?

Are you saying that all ultrabooks have touch screen, or only certain makes/models. I don't need that unless one works with my nails, so we both need different types.

Unfortunately we are not anywhere near a Best Buy, so we have to buy these sight unseen, as we are in Panama & I won't buy stuff here anyway, I'd have to have it shipped in.

I can look up the reviews on Amazon, etc. once I get some idea of what brand names/models you guys recommend.

Thank you so much, I appreciate all your help :)

Michelle

2. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Asus makes good net books. I'd look at theirs. Net books are just small laptops- with a smaller screen and body- somewhere around 10" screen diagonal is normal, but you'll have to look up what actual dimensions that is online. They run Windows. Normally no 3G, but wifi yes. You can get 3G with a dongle that you put in a USB slot. It's not super hard, but I think you'd need to know a little about technology to do it. I don't think my father could, for example. General size for a Net book might be something like 6" x 8" or something like that. 1" thick or less. Good luck.

3. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

Netbooks are small 10" laptops fast enough for Web surfing and Email.
    Between $200 -$400.

Ultrabooks are thin laptops of 12" and 13". Fast for any task.
    Between $700- $1,200.

You don't need touchscreen. You can buy any type of laptop (Normal, Netbook, Ultrabook). Neither the iPad nor any of the many Android tablets out there are fully compatible with MS Office. So just buy a laptop and you'll be fine.

4. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

About a year and a half ago, I had a lot of the same questions. I had already decided that I wanted a smaller and lighter computer. So, I moved to a tablet and have never looked back. It has largely obviated the need to carry pen and paper along with a small travel notebook. I can even make a handwritten note and send it along as a pdf attached to an email. A tablet will expand your communication options while increasing the portability of your notebook.

As a first unit, I would go with a convertible tablet because it will provide full functionality of a notebook and let you increasingly learn how to use a tablet. The problem is usually price. Lenovo has its X220T tablet PC on sale for $730. http://outlet.lenovo.com/laptops/42...p://outlet.lenovo.com/laptops/429r9fr763.html Its a refurbished model that comes with a one year warranty and is fully functional to replace your normal notebook. Another advantage is that you can use the new touch features of windows 8 when it is released in the fall.

So, to answer your question in a word ... yes. I think most portable computer users should move toward tablets to take advantage of the increased functionality.

5. ep2012

ep2012 Tablet Newbie

Hi,

But everyone just told me a tablet doesn't hold the full version of Windows which is what we need. Are you saying that one you recommended does?

Michelle

6. Stan S.

Stan S. Scribbler - Standard Member

Michelle, he's talking about a convertible tablet.

In this forum, we think historically of tablets as the laptops with a digitizer screen, while ipad-like no keyboard tablets are often referred to as slates.

we're all trying to adjust and be specific.

7. e-schreiber

The only way to get 100% MS Office functionality (be it Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook, etc) is:

a) buy a Laptop (Netbook or Ultrabook) running MS Windows or Mac OSX;
    b) buy a Tablet PC (Slate, Convertible or Detachable) running MS Windows.

Neither the iPad nor any Android tablets are fully compatible with MS Office documents.

The iPad and all the Android tablets are sometimes referred as multimedia tablets. Their primary function is entertainment (music, video, games, email, web browsing, social networking, etc). They have limited capabilities when it comes to do real work, but some models are very cheap.

This forum gathers fans of a different type of tablet: the Tablet PC. Tablet PCs are similar to laptops in the sense that they come with USB ports and MS Windows and therefore are compatible with any device (eg: Printers, Scanners, Cameras, Keyboards, Mice, ThumbDrives, BluRayDrives, etc) or any program (eg: Word, Excel, Outlook, Photoshop, Illustrator, AutoCAD, Quicken, iTunes!) designed for MS Windows.

Both multimedia tablets and Tablet PCs have touchscreens. However, because Tablet PCs are so similar to laptops, all Tablet PCs can be used with a keyboard or mouse. Most Tablet PCs also come with a Pen that can be used to draw on the screen or handwrite documents.

Given how little you understand of the subject, and the extra cost of a Tablet PC, I advise you to get a laptop. If, however, you feel adventurous and money isn't an issue, get a Tablet PC. Right now, there are 3 types of Tablet PCs. All 3 types can be easily connected to a conventional USB keyboard or a wireless Bluetooth keyboard:

1. Slates. They are very light and portable.
      Fujitsu Q550: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFY-Hsaq87w
      Samsung Slate 7 Series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i_z8EcCFDY

2. Convertibles. Look just like a laptop, but they have a screen that flips.
      Lenovo ThinkPad x220t: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7sX5MUvidE
      HP Elitebook 2760p: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ugg6AxDKqOI

3. Detachables. Come with a keyboard-dock that can be attached or detached easily.
      Acer W500: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8DT8i3srvE

Hope it clarifies things a bit. Good Luck!

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  8. ep2012

ep2012 Tablet Newbie

Ok, now I'm even more confused than I was before.

Remember I've only ever used a desktop & laptop. I have a Kindle, but that's just for e-books & the odd time surfing the net, but the 3G is very slow.

So you are saying that a tablet isn't that device that has only one piece to it? It's called a slate?

In my mind anything with 2 pieces (cover & bottom) is of the laptop variety.

I thought tablets were just one piece like my Kindle.

I don't know what a digitizer is.

Oh you are saying a tablet has a keyboard & an ipad doesn't b/c uses that rubber pen? So the ipad is a slate?

I haven't had the time, I wanted to see the size & weight difference between an ultrabook, notebook & a tablet.

While we don't expect to carry it in our pockets, we want the ultrabook or notebook to be light enough & small enough that it's easy to carry.

Michelle

9. ep2012

ep2012 Tablet Newbie

Yes, much better thank you.

The only thing is, we are going to be typing away from home, so there's no place to plug in a tablet to a keyboard.

So in that case unless he wants drawing, you don't think a Tablet PC would work, correct?

And I think I asked this before, but can't remember. Notebooks & ultrabooks are never touch, correct?

For me my budget is limited. He has money, but not sure how much he wants to spend.

Thanks

Michelle

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  10. e-schreiber

There are keyboards as small as a wallet. And you could use it at home on a desk.

It "works", but it might be more functionality than he needs. Ask yourself: is he gonna touch the screen? Is he gonna draw or take notes with the Pen? If not, a Tablet PC is too much. A laptop (Netbook or Ultrabook) should suffice.

I noticed I made a typo before. Sorry. Notebooks and Laptops are the same thing. When I wrote "Notebook", I actually meant Netbook (a small and cheap laptop). To answer your question... Netbooks and Ultrabooks do not have Touch or Pen. If they did, they would be called "Tablet PCs", instead. A Tablet PC is a laptop with Touch and/or Pen functions and some models (the Convertibles) have built-in keyboards.

The videos I posted before answer lots of questions. Re-watch them all and re-read the whole thread. Your answers are here already.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.