Do you think I need a tablet?

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by ep2012, Apr 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ep2012

ep2012 Tablet Newbie

Hi all,

Obviously I'm new here :) Hope you are all doing well.

So me & a friend are looking for a tablet to do pretty much the same thing.

We want to use Word (the full version) to work outside the office.

Now I thought a tablet is what I needed, but I just read a review on PC Mag that basically said all the tablet is used for is videos, e-mail, e-books, music & some productivity, but it's not meant to replace the PC.

Now I'm NOT expecting it to replace my PC, but I do need something that has the full version of Word (Track Changes) & that will also connect to the PC & not cause problems when transferring the Word docs to the PC.

I once had an ipod & when I plugged it into my PC, it did something & then ended up rearranging ALL my folders on the ipod & when I called Apple, the girl wasn't nice & all & just told me "I don't know what you did."

We don't want the same thing to happen again.

Also they said that the tablets are all touch which obviously isn't good for typing. Is this true, there's no regular keyboard or one you can buy to plug in? I use an ergonomic keyboard on my desktop?

I certainly don't know ALL the brand names of tablets, but I'm sure one of you does :) Can you tell me if there is a tablet out there for us, & if there isn't, other than a laptop, what do you suggest that's portable?

Thank you

Michelle

2. pmatulew

pmatulew Scribbler - Standard Member

It all depends on what you need it to do.

Ok, back up. Let's start from scratch.

Forget Apple support. Unless you want an Ipad they'll be of no use to you.

Next step is differentiating nomenclature between the hardware form factor and the operating system. What do you mean when you say "tablet"?

You stated you want to use MS Word and have PC compatibility so that narrows the field considerably. No Apple. No android.

That leaves only Windows capable x86/x64 devices. At that point you choose depending on which input method suits your needs. You can choose a standard clamshell laptop, or a flip screen convertible that retains it's keyboard, or a basic slate "tablet" that can be accessorized with wired or wireless keyboards. (There are also vague plans to produce a slider format.)

Each of these hardware formats has the option of stylus input. Not the rubber crayons you see everywhere now but genuine pressure sensitive active digitizers that allow you to write or draw or navigate with great precision. The more recent models also have the option of finger touch input so you can swish and swipe all you like.

All the rest is just icing. I/O ports for connectivity, size, weight, screen size, battery life. To offer advice we need to know what you want it to do.

Head on over to the "what to buy" section of the forum and have a look around. You may get some ideas.

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/what-tablet-pc-should-i-buy/

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Actually for your use case unless you are compelled to purchase a tablet, I would consider an Ultrabook such as the ASUS UX31E or UX21E, Samsung Series 9 2012 Model, Toshiba Portege' Z830. I don't see a reason that you should purchase a Tablet PC unless you want to use digital ink...

Ultrabooks are light and have good battery life and don't require a different user paradigm. Get one with the Corei5 CPU and 4 GB of RAM. With that said I'm a huge Tablet PC fan and Windows 8 on a tablet is amazing....

4. ep2012

ep2012 Tablet Newbie

Well I think we both want something light & smaller to work on. I HATE lugging around my laptop. The case/bag is almost as heavy as the laptop itself, although I have the mouse & charger in there.

Ok, thought Android worked with MS, but I guess not.

Didn't understand any of this. I don't know what a clamshell or flip screen is. Do you have URLs you can show me pls.

I highly doubt either him or I want to lug around a huge keyboard. I used to think there were those small folded keyboards you could unfold & plug in, but of course I doubt they have them ergonomic & the last time I went to a store & asked for one, they told me there was no such animal. :(

As for what inputs we need, I don't think we want something that loses the batter a the drop of a hat. Now I know the Kindle isn't the same thing (not Fire), but I have a Kindle & the battery lasts like 5 days even with me reading books on it every day.

If we have to constantly plug it in to charge it in one given day, no thanks, but I'm sure we can charge it when we get home.

Don't need a printer port, but if it has it, that's a bonus. So long as we can transfer thru USB, I guess that's all that matters.

What other ports are you referring to? Speakers & monitor?

He likes the swish & swipe stuff. I can't do that b/c I have long nails. I can't believe they don't create anything that works with long nails. I mean that's almost 50% of the female population.

I need to be able to type comfortably. I don't know what a digitizer is. He wants to be able to type comfortably as well.

I already told you what I want it to do :) Anything in addition to that is a bonus.

I was hoping someone would give me some models & such to look at based on what I said. I wouldn't know one tablet from another at this point.

Thank you

Michelle

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  5. ep2012

ep2012 Tablet Newbie

What's digital ink? Drawing?

So I looked one up, & they look the same size as a laptop. I believe we wanted something the size of a tablet.

Do they make them smaller?

Thanks

Michelle

6. Stan S.

Stan S. Scribbler - Standard Member

Please describe what you mean as heavy?

Ultrabooks are the lightest of the laptop category and weigh around 3lbs. Even a ipad which WON'T do Word, weighs 1.5lbs. There are convertibles (they look like a laptop and can be used as one, but the screen, usually 8"x12"- size of a sheet of paper, turns around and folds down onto the keyboard) that weigh in at 3.5-4lbs and can have very powerful processors, allow you to write on the screen directly into Word (or any other MS product) as well as load any other windows applications. Depending on the convertible model, some screen will also accept touch, gestures as well as a physical stylus (which stores in the device). Virtual keyboards on the screen are also included.

7. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

You should get a small laptop. You dont need a tablet for what you want to do-- use Word while typing on a keyboard-- and you can get lots of small laptops, or net books as they call them, that can do just what you want for about 250-300$.

8. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

The Ultrabooks that I suggested you look into are as thin as a Windows Tablet when closed, have a near full size keyboard and touchpad and have either a 11" or 13" screen. They are light weight (around 3 lbs.). Most Netbooks will weigh this and are under powered and limited.

And Digital Ink would be used to take hand written notes or for drawing. I use Office OneNote 2010 to take hand written notes in all of my meetings. I'm in India this week meeting with clients and I'm using my Samsung Series 7 Tablet with Windows 8 CP in all of the meetings, using OneNote, Word, PowerPoint and Excel.

Since your use case doesn't show that a tablet is needed, I would suggest the Ultrabook (a real one not the 14" 4 lbs. ones that are cropping up).

If you have a BestBuy or Microsoft Store near buy you can go and try out the Windows Tablets (only at the MS Store) and the Ultrabooks.

HTH,

9. pmatulew

pmatulew Scribbler - Standard Member

10. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.