Do You Need a Separate Note Taking Device

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Apr 15, 2016.

?

Do You Need a Separate Note Taking Device?

1. No. It's all-in-one for me.

12 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. Yes. A separate note-taking tablet is a must .

5 vote(s)
    17.9%
  3. Yes. Bring on an 8" Surface Pro.

7 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. Yes, but I would just like to have a smartphone solution.

4 vote(s)
    14.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronr9286t

ronr9286t Scribbler - Standard Member

Interesting thread. I've used my Note 3 and now my note 4 for quick notes, although Android is my third-favorite OS (Windows Phone 1st, iOS second, then Android - I have Windows phones, but lack of digitizer and apps make them not useful). I take extensive notes in projects, usually on the go (interviewing observing workflow in medical practices), and used a Galaxy Note 8.0 for several years. I've tried a variety of tablet PCs for this purpose, from a Fujitsu T580 through several 10" Windows devices, and finally the Asus VivoTab 8. The thing I cannot get beyond on the Windows devices is the lack of instant-on functionality. The Galaxy Note 8 was the perfect size for me, but the poor screen resolution and fading battery life had me move to a Note 10.1 (2014). It is light enough to use all day, and has the features and functions I need. I'd love to see a Surface phone, but they'll have to get better with the apps (come-on, no Starbucks app, and the United Airlines app is crippled - no in-flight entertainment functionality).

Carrying the extra device when I travel is not a terribly big deal, and the grab and instant-on functionality of the Android Note devices makes them seamless tools for my use.

Ron

2. drvenom

drvenom Scribbler - Standard Member

Yes, I have to have a separate note-taking tablet. I use my desktop and laptop for all the heavy lifting, but I keep my tablet next to my keyboard and use it as scratch paper (deriving formulas ect). I have an 8" tablet (samsung galaxy note 8) that I use for light reading (news, novels, ect) and some note taking. I also have an ativ 500t that I use as my main inking device and a samsung note 5 that serves both as a phone and a quick note device.

3. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

@ronr9286t
    While a tad cumbersome you can exchange the battery in your Galaxy Note 8. There are videos on YouTube showing you exactly how to do it. Mine is still functioning ok so I have yet to do it, but it is nice knowing that the option is there.

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

4. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Seriously, as I sit here with my Xperia Z Ultra, I wish I could go back in time and sweet talk the executives to add a Wacom digitizer to it.

I've always loved this phone. It is an absolute monster at 6.4", but nowadays with big phones the norm it doesn't turn as many heads as it did when it came out originally. It's also crazy thin and I still admire its build quality to this day. As with most Xperias, it's so nice to just lather up your hands with soap and water, get the device wet, and give it a good bath to clean all the smudges off. I now use it as my media consumption mini tablet because the screen is still gorgeous and there's still development on the device giving it Marshmallow. It's crazy how a 0.7" diagonal increase betters the movie watching experience.

Galaxy Notes are too small a canvas IMO to notetake. Even for quick jots, it's easier to just hit my Google Keep widget on the home screen and swype text. This Xperia Z Ultra would be the ultimate small canvas if it only had an active digitizer.

5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Granted, it is a small canvas, but what is our practical alternative? The end of Atom is going to leave small Windows tablets in a tailspin, and is unlikely to bring the Pencil to the 6s Plus line (and even if they did, who needs another stick to carry around). Maybe Panos has an ARM solution up his sleeve for Surface Phone (he still professes to use the Surface Mini) so maybe there is salvation out there, but I just feel like this is the end of the road for small form factor Surface devices.

6. Kumabjorn

Has anyone seen the new Kindle Oasis? I think that is pretty much the optimal note taker form factor. Easy to hold wedge, high resolution e-ink, long battery life (even without the charge cover). All it needs is an active pen that can be stored, and the somewhat thicker wedge would be ideal for that. Oh, and a better OS.

WillAdams likes this.
  7. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Anyone else remember the Momenta?

8. Mr. Boosh

If you want small, grab a Galaxy Note 8 for ~$100 now and flash CyanogenMod 13 on it (Marshmallow).

XDA thread shows it as being stable and I think as a small note-taking device it would still work well.

I may actually pick one up.

9. Kumabjorn

You don't lose pen support when flashing cyanogenmod ?

10. Mr. Boosh

I did not lose pen support when I flashed CM12 on a Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 that I owned for a few months, but I'd check the XDA thread in more depth if you're going to investigate. You lose the stock S-Pen stuff that comes with TouchWiz, but I never used most of that bloat anyways. I bought S-Pen Command for a few bucks which gives you a customizable Air Command menu and stuff like that. There's a few other apps, I think CM S-Pen and GMD S-Pen that provide similar functionality.

I really only cared about inking and having the ability to annotate on screen shots, even though I never even used that to tell you the truth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.