Do You Need a Separate Note Taking Device

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Apr 15, 2016.

?

Do You Need a Separate Note Taking Device?

1. No. It's all-in-one for me.

12 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. Yes. A separate note-taking tablet is a must .

5 vote(s)
    17.9%
  3. Yes. Bring on an 8" Surface Pro.

7 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. Yes, but I would just like to have a smartphone solution.

4 vote(s)
    14.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ElectronicFur

ElectronicFur Pen Pal - Newbie

I just use my Office 365 OneDrive, I haven't found it to be slow.

I'd actually prefer to use my own server, and I did do this previously, but the latest versions of Onenote don't seem to allow that anymore.

2. jvloyola

jvloyola Scribbler - Standard Member

I actually find myself still toting around my toshiba encore write 2 plus my S3. I find that if I'm with a customer and I want ro show them an excel file or a websitw then I no longer have a note taking device so I use the toshiba to write my notes in and the surface for interaction with the customer.

I do carry a note 4 phablet but I haven't really tried to use it as a note taking device. That might obviate the use of the 8in tablet.

Regarding syncing I use one note and it does sync all across my devices: phablet. Tablets and laptop whether you are using ios, android, windows or OSX onenote does an excellent job at syncing

Vinny

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

3. dbrn

dbrn Scribbler - Standard Member

It's so hard for me to take your courtroom references seriously. I just keep picturing Bob Denver doing pratfalls in front of a screaming judge...

I voted for the 8" because in a perfect world I'd use that in conjunction with my SP3 for the sake of convenience - always in-pocket, not pulling out the 'big' device for quick notes, silo'ed pen, etc. But, realistically, even if the 8" happened, I don't think I could ever rationalize buying it myself because my SP3 works just fine as an all-in-one for 90% of my needs.

Bronsky likes this.
  4. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

OneNote works wonderfully for me with a GN5 and SP4, it's pretty fast. My only gripe is that it doesn't k now how to handle different DPI setups, so if I write something on the GN5 then it gets quite compacted when opened on my SP4, but nothing that zoom can't work around.

I'm all for a separate note taking device, but I find taking copious notes on anything smaller than my SP4 to be a real chore.

5. alaskajoel

alaskajoel Scribbler - Standard Member

I double up with a ThinkPad yoga 14 and the Galaxy Note 5. I used to use a Surface Pro 4 but I needed a discrete GPU for some compute tasks. All my notes are saved in Onenote and sync very fast. This has been my ideal setup for several years now: some sort of large tablet pc and my Galaxy note. Absolutely love them.

Bronsky likes this.
  6. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

It has been a career-long problem.

dbrn, dstrauss and Kumabjorn like this.
  7. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

My choice is not on the list. :) "Yes, but I'm hoping to change that". The ThinkPad Yoga X1 is getting close to the weight of a Surface Pro 4 with type cover. Since I never used my Surface Pro 2 and Surface 3 without the type cover anyway, I might as well get a Yoga if the weight is similar.

I wish Lenovo made a ThinkPad Yoga X1 lookalike with the screen size of the Surface Pro 4 and a slightly smaller footprint than the SP4 (i.e. even smaller bezel). Given that the 14" X1 Yoga weighs 2.8lbs, I think such a X1 Yoga mini could weigh 2.4lbs, the same as the SP4 with type cover. That would be light enough to keep as note taker and main machine, with user accessible internals, 100% lapable, with a silo for the Wacom AES stylus, and with a trackpoint. Heaven! Give it 400+ nits brightness and thunderbolt docking and I would be all over that.

Bronsky likes this.
  8. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

For a note taking device to be truly effective it isn't lapability but pocketability that makes a difference. As much as I like my 8" devices the note taker prima inter pares is without doubt my GN3.

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

Bronsky likes this.
  9. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

Can anyone speak for the Nvidia Shield Tablet (K1), an 8-inch penabled Android tablet? I have read glowing reviews about its performance (rivals or passes up the iPad Air 2 and iPad Pro in general computing and graphics tests) and that it has a GPU-assisted, pressure sensitive stylus interface that polls 300 times per second. Heck, this device is so fast it can emulate GameCube games in Dolphin at 60 fps, something even my Surface 3 cannot pull off. If not, a family member is getting one and I will let you all know how the stylus goes. If it works well, at a cool $199, I will be getting one as well.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
  10. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

The only problem I have with the Note series is the software. Most of the Android sNote stuff is okay, but the interface is lacking compared to OneNote and on my Note Edge at least the applications can be VERY slow to load. The Windows sNote program is an utter joke. OneNote on Android is rather 'heavy' and has some poor design compared to other versions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.