Do You Need a Separate Note Taking Device

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Apr 15, 2016.

?

Do You Need a Separate Note Taking Device?

1. No. It's all-in-one for me.

12 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. Yes. A separate note-taking tablet is a must .

5 vote(s)
    17.9%
  3. Yes. Bring on an 8" Surface Pro.

7 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. Yes, but I would just like to have a smartphone solution.

4 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I've been a long time advocate for all-in-one devices so my notes, files, work product, music, videos, games, EVERYTHING is on one device. However, as my world gets more and more digital, I'm finding that more and more frustrating. When I am taking notes on a Surface device (Pro, Book, or the plain ole Surface) it is hard and frustrating to deal with digital documents, websites, research etc. Granted, when tied to the desk with my big monitors, it is a lot more manageable, but the minute I leave, the juggling act commences. Even more frustrating, now that I am on the Surface Book, if I need to work with a document while I was in "draw mode" (Screen folded backwards over the keyboard) it can become a nightmare.

So folks, what do you think? Join the poll and post your comments.

soh5 likes this.
  2. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

My Toshiba is my main machine --- kind of sad about that, but really can't justify spending more at this point in my life (kid in college, second about to go). Also, determined to not spend a significant amount until _someone_ makes a machine which pushes all my buttons (full OS, nice stylus, daylight viewable display, GPS, decent performance and sufficient storage).

3. XJ12

XJ12 Scribbler - Standard Member

been all in one for almost 13 years now. still prefer to go slate mode. but type cover is a big must. although I appreciate the extra battery now and again on my Q702's keyboard, for the most part it just sits in my desk drawer. with my surface pro at the house, I always just bring the keyboard along as it serves as the cover. back in the day with the TC1000/1100, it had a screen cover for the slate without a case. the surface with the type cover is just like that with a keyboard as a bonus.

I couldn't see using the Surface Book as it pretty much forces you to bring along the keyboard (weight)

4. XJ12

XJ12 Scribbler - Standard Member

always fascinates me that people bring a note pad to meetings to take notes. I'm like what?

then the first thing people ask when I show them my handwritten notes on the computer, "can you convert it to text?" people are so conditioned that all things have to be typed on a computer. No, I don't convert my handwriting to text.

(and I don't print my digital pictures either)

soh5, Bronsky and dstrauss like this.
  5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Your last Yes option is closest to my situation. I use two notepads: the Surface 3 and the GN5. Since I've had my Note 5, I use it as a primary note taker. I use it for all small casual notes, but even in the Courtroom, I tend to use it over the S3 to write down my notes during short motion hearings for memoralizing the judge's rulings. With the S-Case and Silo'ed S Pen, it's perfect. I normally keep the Surface in the briefcase. It's much easier to just pull out the Note 5 from my inside pocket at the end of a motion hearing and jot down the points the judge hit in his ruling. The Note 5 is great for telephone call notes, getting names and addresses, and even taking notes during short meetings. If I'm having coffee with somebody, it's a lot less intrusive to just take out the GN5 and jot down some notes than puling out the S3. It is perfect for interviewing experts that I am considering retaining over coffee. The GN5's 5.7" OLED display is simply incredible. It makes the device extremely readable and I use my phone for most of the things I previously did with my Asus AVN8. The exception is serious document work, significant note-taking and annotation.

For anything extensive like a deposition, I use the S3. What I have found really helpful is to load the aerials and photos I use in the depositions as a part of my prep and I can write my notes right on the photos. I have often thought about having witnesses use the pen to mark up the electronic version of my exhibits but I haven't done it yet. It would sure save having to scan the marked-up exhibits and there is little chance of misplacing them.

The S3 is also my primary device for annotation and reading cases. That is the one use where the 10" tablet has the advantage over the 8" tablet.

dstrauss and HeavyHanded like this.
  6. dstrauss

Sounds where I probably should head but question - how do you synchronize notes between the GN5 and S3?

7. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

yea , right now I do my main work on my SP4 and slap down a IPP 12.9 next to be to take notes..... that way I can take notes... I am not finding that all in one kind of device for me yet ....

use one note so its synched with all my devices

8. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

As the self-anointed King of All Tablets, I must admit that I've never liked notetaking in general but especially not on a tablet. My handwriting is terrible and I tend to write too large digitally vs. on a ruled notepad. It's also seems so slow to write down much more than a word or two. Therefore, I didn't vote so as not to skew the results, but I think single purpose devices should stay back in 2008 where they belong.

9. ElectronicFur

ElectronicFur Pen Pal - Newbie

Similar to Bronsky, I use my SP4 and Samsung Note 3, both running OneNote. So I voted for the last option as it's already possible.

In my office I have my SP4 on a Ergotron arm with a laptop tray like this:

http://i5.walmartimages.com/dfw/dce07b8c-c752/k2-_6542c7b1-7aa3-48c2-9638-1ce01df3e847.v1.jpg

This tray actually comes for free with the dual stacking arm:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ergotron-Dual-Stacking-inch-Display/dp/B0036RDOT8

This means I can have my SP4 at a height and position where it is easy to touch and use the pen to take notes. On the other arm I have my 34"UW screen as my main screen. (I even have another dual stacking arm on the side of my desk, currently holding a third monitor, but 3 monitor support is flaky on my SP4). I have a Kinesis Advantage keyboard plugged in via usb hub, for a decent typing experience.

So in the office I mostly use the SP4 to take notes. But when I'm out of the office I use either the SP4 or my Note 3, depending on the situation. Similar to Bronsky, the Note 3 when I need to take a note quickly, the SP4 if I'm in a long meeting, etc.

OneNote on Android used to be very basic, but now it has the ability to move, copy and delete pages, it is good enough for my purposes. Good enough that I'm trailing moving my GTD+Rhodia process (http://gtd-r.blogspot.co.uk/) with the slots in my Midori Traveler Notebook, to OneNote. With that move, the only thing I'm missing so far is the tactile process of shifting through my notes and putting them in the right slots, and the fountain pen use. A stylus just isn't the same.

I have a Samsung Note tablet as well, but it doesn't get much use for note taking these days.

This combination of SP4 and Note 3 both running OneNote is perfect for me. I couldn't be without either of them now.

10. dstrauss

@ElectronicFur - so, how do you guys synchronize notes between your SP4 and GN devices? I hate OneDrive as it slows down the whole process...do you manually copy notes back and forth?