Do something against the spam!

Discussion in 'Site Suggestions and Site Help' started by kureshii, May 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

Usually I observe the Who's Online section for possibly spammers, and act immediately when I see a suspicious username with no posts and have recently registered that goes into a forum section and is at the "Creating a New Thread" page.

I've been busy lately, so this past few days we were short a few moderators to take care of spam, but I'm semi-free at the moment. :)

Nevertheless, we have some new measures in place, so we're seeing how well we can tackle the spam now. ;)

Agreed, that users should not click and view a spam thread with certain keywords/topics that are in no way related to Tablet PCs. Like buying a cellphone/smartphone, pharmaceuticals, etc. We'll usually catch it in time, but if we miss a few, please kindly PM one of the forum staff about it, or click the Report button in that thread, if you accidentally view the thread.

Currently I'm browsing around for old spam posts that have not been deleted in the past month or so. If you find any spam threads during your browsing expeditions, please PM one of the forum staff about it. Thanks!

2. lovely12

lovely12 Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeh Guyes pls send me Information

3. Chocobo

Chocobo Scribbler - Standard Member

4. SimsHsia

Thanks, thread removed and user is banned.

Next time PM forum staff about it or click the report icon ([​IMG]).

Thanks! :)

5. kureshii

kureshii Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Just one thing to note about reporting spam. if you see a series of advertisements by one spammer, just report one of the posts; in our mod control panel we can see how many posts they've made, and will check out the rest of the posts if they made more than one. It helps keep our inboxes tidier and saves you the time (120sec between posts is quite a pain, isn't it?) :)

6. SimsHsia

Agreed, I don't particularly enjoy seeing 12 emails (the highest I've received, Jan 7th) from various users who are reporting at least two threads from one spammer that are deemed spam. However, the "Spam I Am" ode in recent reports is quite nice to read. :)

But, yes, we usually do check up their user profile (or within the thread, each user has a "Posts: ####" section in their post) if there are other replies that will need to be deleted. We do appreciate the help you are all providing when we are not active in the forums or far from a computer. Thanks! :D

7. Hshin

Hshin Pen Pal - Newbie

I've just received a "private spam" from this Jessie guy. Strangely he doesn't seem to be selling anything on his link.

8. kureshii

kureshii Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Thanks, and keep those reports coming =) Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately ^_~) we can't monitor PMs, so if you get a spam PM forward it to one of us and we'll take care of it.

Hmm, I've been thinking if disabling the PM function until the user makes his first pot is a good idea... what do you all think?

There seems to be a new spate of spam the past day or two... I hope it's not a sign of things to come.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.