Do Not Buy Asus-read This First!!!

Discussion in 'Asus' started by alphaswift, Nov 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djslats001

djslats001 Pen Pal - Newbie

To all out there who are contemplating an Asus R1F,

I have had the misfortune of buying one of these computers - which I have regretted almost every day since. The custome service shown to me by Asus is pathetic to say the least - after writing multiple letters - the last of which has been included below - I have still received no replies from them (almost 2 months ago) - please buy your laptop carefully, and in Australia - don't get one of these! This is all completely true, and I have receipts/records to prove all of it - and no i don't work for a competitor.

If there is anyone on here who can offer me an explanation and/or refund - i would be happ to entertain their audience, this was my final letter to them:

To whom it may concern,

I am writing with regards to the warranty claim on an Asus R1F laptop, job number ****, which is being completed by Aland electronics in Brisbane.

I am having serious concerns as to how this laptop is being repaired, given that it is now over 4 weeks since I sent in this computer for repairs and over 5+ weeks ago that the original problems were logged with Asus, and the issues are still unresolved. This is despite numerous phone calls to the sometimes helpful staff at Aland who have told me that the only person to contact is someone at Asus by the name of Ronald. I have tried contacting Asus numerous times on your 1300 number and have spent the better part of 5 hours on hold, only to find out that either there is nothing that the operator can do, or that my service number doesn't exist.

The original problems were logged with Owen at Asus over a month ago, and the computer was taken to the Asus service centre in MacGregor, as Owen told me that there was no service that would be able to pick up this computer from my home address, but that it was able to drop it off for me when the job was completed. He also informed me that it should only take 3-5 days at most to sort out the problems. When I arrived at the service centre in McGregor, the staff there informed me that they would not be able to send the computer back to me and that I would have to pick it up once the job was completed, which was unacceptable as I was travelling to Rockhampton the next week. This was after I had taken the afternoon off work especially to drop this computer off as the travel time was over 1.5hours from my place of employment. They then informed me that Aland Electronics were the only warranty provider which would be able to send the item back to me. Therefore, I had to return home and arrange for a courier to drop the computer at Aland, which again necessitated me taking hours off work to wait for them to come to my house on the 20th of July.

Once this job had been sent, and it was received by Aland, no further information regarding the provision of parts had been received, or when/how this job was to progress. To the 6th of August, the only information that they are able to give me is that the job has been logged, and that they are still waiting for parts from Asus. That is over 2 weeks ago from when the job was first lodged, and they still had not received any further information regarding parts, or when the computer will be repaired. This was despite my calling them 3 times on the 25th, 1st , and 3rd of August. As well as my attempting to call Asus directly, speaking with various surly members of staff (names can be provided if requested), and leaving messages to no avail. Once I got in touch with Steve, at your call centre who informed me that “Ronald”, the parts manager that Aland had told me to contact regarding these delays didn’t exist, and that I couldn’t contact him, as my job number was not valid, and that he couldn’t access my job number: 75808.

I contacted Aland again multiple times in the week leading up to the 10th of August, and I was told then that they had received the parts, and according to “Mark” at Aland, that unless there was a disaster, the computer would be ready for pickup on Monday morning. So, on Monday the 13th, not being informed of any disaster, I drove an hour to the shop, to be told that the job hadn’t been completed, and that Asus had sent them the wrong battery, however, they had subsequently ordered a replacement battery, which should arrive that afternoon. I was heading to Gympie that afternoon, and gave at Aland explicit instructions, that if that battery was not in the shipment that afternoon, to ship the “fixed” laptop, minus battery, to my location in Gympie.

Expecting the laptop to be delivery on Tuesday 14th I waited, and waited, just as I had done numerous times for your company. On Thursday 16th, I called, left two messages, neither of which was replied to by Aland, then called your service centre direct. I was met by Mark, whom I asked for the details of whomever was managing my case, and requested to speak with someone superior in your company, as I was fed up with being handballed between yourselves and Aland. He informed me that the only person that could possibly help, with an incredible amount of persuasion, was a person called “Chris”. Subsequently I was transferred to ‘Chris’ who didn’t in fact work for Asus at all, but for one of your subcontracting companies called DEP I believe, and who was then of no further information, or use, and had no idea why I had been transferred through to him.

I called Asus back, and was greeted by Steve, who this time was able to inform me that with the number stated previously 75808, he was able to see the details of my case (despite previously being told by him that this was impossible without some other Asus job number), and that all the correct parts had been shipped, and that no further requests for a correct battery had been made, despite Aland telling me otherwise. I was then informed, that there was no manager who could handle complaints, nor was there anyone to speak to, the only thing I could do was to send a fax complaint or else try to get in touch with a figure called “James” at Asus, who ‘drifts’ in and out of the office, and he could not give me one time to call back when I could actually speak to him, nor could I make any other type of appointment to see this person. The only thing I could do was to get Steve to leave him a message to call me back, which given my experience was a highly likely event. I called Aland back, and found that their message bank was full, so that not only could I not speak with anyone, I couldn’t even leave them a message (I was still under some delusion that both your companies may actually one day call me back –still to this time it hasn’t happened).

I called Aland again on Friday, and finally got in touch with one of the people there, Mark, who informed me that no battery had arrived, and that he hadn’t sent the laptop yet(which should have happened on Monday afternoon at the latest), due to a ‘mix up’ in communications and him not having the correct address – which I had already given to his company twice already.

Finally today, Monday 20th August, I have received back my laptop, in a disgraceful condition. Only three of the original problems that I described have been fixed, or are partially fixed: being the screen replacement, keyboard replacement, and mouse pad replacement. I am still awaiting a battery replacement from Aland electronics or yourselves. The screen has not been fixed properly, as there is still a large degree of movement in the hinge mechanism, which was on the original job lodged with Owen, as were numerous scratches which are caused by the movement of the screen when closed, as it rubs against the casing. I asked for this to be fixed, whilst not affecting the function of the computer, it has considerably altered the aesthetics of it, and it will significantly affect resale value (which is happening as soon as it is properly fixed).

Prior to this episode, I had a previous problem with the case which arrived with this laptop, which frayed at the seams within the first 2 weeks of use. I was by Asus informed that the case was not covered under the Asus warranty but that it was manufactured by Targus and to contact them for the warranty claim. I did this and sent the bag to Targus at my own cost. They then returned this bag to me, saying that it was not one that they had manufactured, despite stipulations from Asus to the contrary. Which resulted again at costs incurred by me for registered post, telephone calls, and eventually getting the bag repaired by a private person, all because of Asus' poor communication and even poorer knowlege of their products.

To say that the service I have received is appalling is an understatement. Considering Asus charges a premium for their products, and has an apparent reputation for good customer service to have this laptop break down within the first 6months is disappointing, and then to have no contact and significant delays on what should be a straight forward repair is incredible. Not having this computer operational has caused me significant time, financial, and emotional hardship, for which Asus is entirely responsible, and your blatant lack of customer service is disgraceful to say the least. I significantly doubt that Asus would put up its entire computer system going off line for over a month, and it is completely unreasonable of Asus to expect its customers to put up with such a blatant lack of respect for their time, money and trust that they have put in Asus' products.

All I can say is that these dealings have significantly soured my impression of this supposed world leader in computing technology, and there is little doubt in my mind as to how Asus values the time and committments of its customers. It is a wonder that a global company such as yourselves has managed to exist in this world of communication, as quite clearly by the aforementioned episodes, your company is still in the dark ages.

I hope that this reaches the correct persons and if not, that someone contacts me asap with the correct person to solve my problems.

Regards

2. chinesefireball121

chinesefireball121 Scribbler - Standard Member

So what was actually wrong with the tablet to start of with?

As you are in Australia, it may be an idea to contact the sydney morning herald - they have a column every monday where they help consumers with their issues with technology companies. I'll post their email address on monday of you like.

3. aboveliquidice

aboveliquidice Pen Pal - Newbie

You should never write a complaint letter longer than (3) paragraphs...

When the see this "book" - they simply hit delete - the concept = if you put that much effort into your letter, you will write back.

4. w1nter

w1nter Pen Pal - Newbie

Chinesefireball,

This is exactly what i mean by bad Asus curstomer service in Australia. I'm not sure what happened to them, because when i first bought my Asus M6 from them in 2002, i never had a problem with the laptop.

Post starter,

Have you tried calling "Fairtrading" to see what they could help you with? I'm not sure who could help you, but do call "Fairtrading" and see if they could direct you to a government department which deals with this type of problems.

5. w1nter

w1nter Pen Pal - Newbie

Post starter,

In case you dont understand what i was saying before this is a link (though i cant guarrantee if this can help you) and a quote from the website, they are as follows:

Link:
    http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/shopping/refundsandrepairs.html#Reasonable time

Quote:
    Compensation for poorly provided services
    Services must generally be carried out with due skill and care. This means that they should be of a standard and quality that could be reasonably expected from a competent person in that particular trade or industry.

It should be made clear to the service provider what a consumer wants done. If a consumer insists on having a service carried out in a particular way, or with particular materials against the service provider's advice, the service provider cannot be held responsible if the result is unsatisfactory because the method or materials were unsuitable. The parties involved should make a written note of any such requests.

If the service provider fails to meet its obligations, the consumer can claim compensation for expenses incurred as a result of loss or damage.

Some service providers try to limit their responsibility by using signs like 'No responsibility for loss or damage' or 'Goods left for repair at your own risk'. These signs are misleading. A consumer must generally be compensated for repairs or services that are not carried out with appropriate care and skill. For instance, carpet cleaners are responsible for making sure that their cleaning method doesn't negligently result in carpet shrinkage.

6. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

What a long post. It's too bad you've had so many problems.

Suffice to say that it appears to be support is the dealbreaker for you. I've said it before and I'll say it again: Asus Canada is really good. In my experience, they fix the problem right the first time.

I have no problem recommending Asus. Apart from the battery, I've been pretty happy for over a year.

7. lionfish42

lionfish42 Pen Pal - Newbie

Seems like you had everything replaced (screen, keyboard, mouse pad) on the computer and were not happy with the design. What happened to have EVERYTHING replaced? Only details you gave was movement issues in the hinge which you state is a aesthetics issue and then complain about a case seam.

While - that does suck, I am still uncertain as to what the functional problems with the computer was?

If you could tell us what the issue is with the computer for us to understand your situation it would be more helpful - as to the product faults.

Service, while important and should be reviewed before making a purchase - is not the same thing as a bad product.

Additionally - the service center you are dealing with may not be indicitive of other service centers. You also mention dealing with a local electronic's shop (Aland). What I am confused about is the following, which your long email does not really address.

1. What were the (DETAILED) problems with the product?
    2. Was the service issue with Aland or Asus?
    3. Who was communicating with who - You to Aland, Aland to Asus, You to Asus?

You clearly had some aesthetics issues with the products, but to have a screen, keyboard, and mouse pad replaced - I think there must of been more issues that you don't describe. The case issue - is really not a product issue.

Then I can't tell if you are relying on some local electronic store to handle the issues (between you and Asus).

From what I read, you do have SOME nit-pick issues (not trying to cause offense) - but as I stated the product REAL issues are unclear. Additionally, it sounds more of bad management, communications, and unorganization (at Aland) more than anything else.

I know you are in the thick of it, but if you could take an objective look at the situation, how much of it is Alan, Asus, the Product, and nit-pick issues (like the case)? I know that nit-pick issues - usually arrive when you have a broken product or bad service and something like the case issue just breaks the camels back. Cause I am sure if you had a GREAT product, the case issue would be an after thought.

I hope that your problem is resolved, but it sounds more like poor management and unorganization.

8. chinesefireball121

chinesefireball121 Scribbler - Standard Member

Its interesting though - I've heard three bad reports about Australian customer service - and two of them were in Brisbane (I think eva04 had issues with the Sydney one, not sure though), whereas I got friends in Sydney who have never had a problem.

9. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You're right Lion. Dave's got 3 posts all of which are complaints without any real coherent story behind it. A good explanation of what led to the troubles may lend weight to his statements.

Then again, I think some people aren't suited for a particular company. Dave -- if you don't like the Asus, you may like Fujitsu, they seem to have a pretty good track record around here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.