Do I need Asus WebStorage?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Nedorosl, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Nedorosl

Nedorosl Pen Pal - Newbie

There appears all the time and most frequently on my VivoTab Smart ME400 an importunate ad from Asus that its Web Storage Sync Agent has a new version to update.

As I understand I have already from Win. 8.1 a Web storage SkyDrive and may not need the additional Asus Web storage.

To get rid of the bothersome Asus Web storage offers I uninstalled the Web Storage Sync Agent application from the tablet and its icon from the Start menu (using steps from my Win 8 for tablets book). But the bothering offers of Asus Web Storage continue as frequent as before.

Being a computer dummy I am asking very thankfully your help in understanding:

A) Am I right - that I do not need (or that it is of no great use) this Asus Web Storage Sync Agent?

B) If I do need it or may use it for good - is it safe to download it (I am always very reluctant to download anything not to get into troubles)

C) If I do not need it - how to get rid of these incessant ads, that in addition are very stubborn in resisting their closing.

Many thanks for attention

2. MadSquabbles

MadSquabbles Pen Pal - Newbie

it's ok to delete it. if you want it back just download it or use the web interface. i hate how invasive it is also.

3. andrews144

andrews144 Pen Pal - Newbie

I was 'turned on' to the Asus WebStorage when I purchased a netbook about 4 years ago. The service was inexpensive, and I was grandfathered in with unlimited storage, so continued using it on one of the laptops we have at home. Now it is 2014, and finally I'm ready to use it to restore a backup onto a new laptop. I install the WebStorage client to the new laptop and find that the option for restoring files says "(beta)" next to the restore function link. The restore tool begins to run, but crashes every time. After a few hours of restoring files I receive an error about lost connection and the application tells me I need to start again. Tried this 5 or 6 times with the same result, with both wireless and wired connection to my network, restoring files onto a Windows 8.1 64-bit machine. If I go to the WebStorage website, I can restore small subsets of files from there, but if I choose a directory with a large number of files it tells me that the size of the restore is too large. Also note that the website packs selected files into a 7Zip archive. I've been successful in pulling smaller subsets of files from that site, but with 80 GB of data I'd be restoring files for years to come before I got them all off the site using that method. I STRONGLY recommend you stay away from this service. Their user community website is full of comments from others with the same experience. THANKFULLY the old laptop continued working long enough to get my files copied from old machine to new across our home network.