Do any tablets support av input?

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by binx, Apr 4, 2012.

1. binx

binx Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm looking at purchasing a tablet that I can hopefully connect a wireless camera to. Are there any tablets with av input?

Edit:Could I use a video capture device and connect it to usb2.0? I'm looking for a system where I can view a reversing camera but still have some internet connectivity. I won't need to do both at the same time.

2. pewe

pewe Pen Pal - Newbie

I take it from the lack of response to this question that no one has come across a Tablet with composite AV input.

Would be useful if there was one, or even as binx mentioned, USB 'TV-in/video capture' type accessory with drivers that would do the job.

I need such a facility for remote viewing of my camera so I can use it on a jib, or hidden in a hide. A standard 7" LCD would do the job, but it would be nice I if a Tablet could do it and save the need to have more than one unit.

3. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

No modern laptop/tablet has a AV input or video input of any sort.

You can buy express cards / USB 2.0 / USB 3.0 sticks which have digital/analog video input ports (Hauppauge, Terratec, Blackmagic, ...). You can connect a Webcam to your USB port, older tablets have DV (Firewire, IEEE1394) ports to which you can connect older DV camcorders. There are many possibilties.

4. pewe

pewe Pen Pal - Newbie

That's what I thought - but wasn't sure.

Some months ago I was led to believe that no manufacturers had drivers for Android tablets for their USB video input devices .
    I will search around, but if you know of any which definately do I would appreciate your input.

Thanks

5. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Are there any 'entertainment tablets' (Android and iOS devices, usually touch only) with that capability? No, there are not.
    Are there Tablet PC's (Windows based machines, basically take a middle of the road laptop and either make it a convertible or a slate, add a pen input, and maybe touch -touch is only on the more recent ones, but the pen ones are very common to find and are quite cheap) with that capability? sort of, but like mentioned above you need an adapter of some sort (usually Expresscard, or USB based); I have and use the 'Easy Cap' USB dongle to bring in BNC or RCA signals and I find it works quite well (using it for a home built underwater ROV's video camera, works without issue on a 100ft cable)... now, how well a specific Tablet PC will work depends on the converter you are using (and if there are drivers for whatever OS [Windows XP or 7, or maybe even 8, or Linux), the video resolution and refresh rate/ frame rate, then the software you are using to view it or record it...

In my findings its a pretty intensive thing to accept a good quality video signal and display it; you will want something that is Core 2 Duo based or better if you can get one; on the low end you can pick up a less powerful one for as little as about $200+ (some of the older Toshiba M400's, Fujitsu T4220, and the lower powered Fujitsu T2010 and netbook like P1620; Lenovo X61 tablet, and others), go to $300-400+ to find the better Lenovo X200 tablet, HP 2730p, and Fujitsu T44410 & T5010; up from there you will fund the core-i based versions of those four; these are Windows based full Tablet PC's with pen only, though newer one have pen + touch; they have 12."screens (Fujitsu T5010, T900, T901 are 13.3"; and P1620 is 8.9" and its resistive touch only) .... if you could give us more info like cost, size/ weight, battery life, functionality, screen size, pen vs touch, and other aspects, as well as how important some are compared to others.

6. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

7. pewe

pewe Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks Agent 9.

What I was looking for initially was to have a remote viewer for my Camera. This was to act as an external viewfinder to view what the camera sees, but at a disance - using an AV cable to connect to the camera.

A 7" LCD monitor such as those used for CCTV/car reversing type cameras would do nicely as the required display resolution dos not need to be high end as the capture is done by the camera.

Someone then suggested that rather than buy just a monitor, to consider getting a small tablet which could then be used for other things when not being used as a 'monitor'.

So what I was looking for was a small screen tablet, at the lowest price I could get one for which will accept remote video input - either directly or via a usb device.
    Battery life is not crucially important as long as it lasts a couple of hours or more (it would be switched off when not being used with the camera).
    Other apps, again not crucial, but web/e-mail and possibly word processing would be about it.

Thanks.

8. iClick

iClick Pen Pal - Newbie