DIY fix for the Asus Vivotab Note 8 pen/touch failure.

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Mesosphere, Aug 29, 2014.

?

Did the cable replacement fix work for you (votes are changeable, owners only please)?

1. Replacing the cable worked.

29.8%
  2. Fiddling with the original cable worked.

54.8%
  3. A DIY fix is not something I'm willing to try.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I attempted the fix, but it did not work for me.

6.0%
  5. I have had no digitizer issues.

9.5%
  1. nicopizza

nicopizza Pen Pal - Newbie

Lol
    Knowing the insides of the tablet, that's a pernickety job you did there Meso!

I am not a masseur myself (though I am learning a lot in here) and not even English speaking (so, sorry for my English), I just wanted to add that I did not even remove the cable, but just lifted it a bit near the folds (btw, using the same small flathead screwdriver I used to remove the cover), and that was enough... after all, if "sometimes" it was working that means "sometimes" some sort of connection was there!

I am waiting for the tablet's self-destructive force to take its course... I'm holding on to my screwdriver! ;o)

EDIT: btw, after the first time my tablet went on RMA for the digitizer issue, I still experienced pen failure once or twice, which means not even Asus guys are very good masseurs ;o)

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
    fishdavis likes this.
  2. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

1 day since my digitizer cable replacement.
    6 days since my touch cable massage.

No blips so far =)

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
    michaelws, Bronsky, alexb2611 and 3 others like this.
  3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I like the way you softened the folds on the ribbon. The foam in the double sided tape will probably keep the ribbon tight in the housing when you close it. I was wondering if it was aorth it to tape it down. I was hoping to get to the MS store with my M80TA to see about getting a replacement this weekend but it looks like next week at the earliest.

4. Mesosphere

Well they taped it down in my RMA, so maybe it is a good idea.

5. leomon32

leomon32 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello, I just bought that tablet and well... All of that scare me, someone over Facebook told me that my tablet will most likely die in weeks or months or even days... Should I take care of the cable issue or just wait till it dies ? I dunno what make the cable break by the way, I'm using a case so that limit the direct pressure on the back but it doesn't limit it on the front (of course). I mainly use it to draw and I can tell you, I'm a black cat ! Do you think it's safe to try fixing that issue right now or waiting that the cable break, send it back etc... ? Thanks for the concern everyone !

6. Mesosphere

It is safe to try to fix it now, but I would wait until it breaks and then fix it yourself (if you are comfortable with that), or RMA it. If you plan to go the fix it yourself route, you could order the cables ahead of time so they are ready if you need to repair it. Alternatively, just fiddling with the cables once they break seems to have shown some success. It might not be necessary to replace them in all cases. Right now it is too soon to say for sure.

7. Mesosphere

Update:

2 Days since digitizer cable replacement
    7 Days since touch cable fiddling

No failures yet!

michaelws, Bronsky, SAM 2013 and 2 others like this.
  8. leomon32

leomon32 Pen Pal - Newbie

Oki doki I will wait then, thanks ! Oh by the way, I wonder if it's hard to open it, because I don't see any damn hole or something to put a screwdriver in, do you have a video over youtube or somewhere ? I don't want to break it if things goes bad x_x

9. solitaire01

solitaire01 Pen Pal - Newbie

My tablet came back from RMA in late May and had no recurrence of the stylus issue until ten minutes after I read this thread yesterday. lol

While a device recycle fixed the code 10 error, I opted to take a guitar pick to the case last night and round out the cable folds. Remarkably easy to open the case on this thing - makes me think it'll be easy to service in the future as necessary. (Replacement battery?)

Anyway it'll be interesting to see what happens next but I'm quite happy knowing I can perform a degree of self service on it!

-Doug

Sent from my M80TA using Tapatalk

Mesosphere likes this.
  10. SAM 2013

SAM 2013 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Auto Self Destruct suspended........

(?)

Kumabjorn and Solrax like this.