DIY fix for the Asus Vivotab Note 8 pen/touch failure.

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Mesosphere, Aug 29, 2014.

?

Did the cable replacement fix work for you (votes are changeable, owners only please)?

1. Replacing the cable worked.

31.0%
  2. Fiddling with the original cable worked.

52.9%
  3. A DIY fix is not something I'm willing to try.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I attempted the fix, but it did not work for me.

6.9%
  5. I have had no digitizer issues.

9.2%
  1. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Yea definitely something to consider. In my case I would much rather fix it myself in about 10 minutes (if you have the replacement cable on hand) vs. the RMA process. I probably spent a good 2-4 hours on the phone (5 calls I think), paid ~15$ shipping, and had to wait a month with it in RMA.

It is extremely easy to access these cables and there is no warranty tape, so, if you have to RMA it for another reason, you could probably cover your tracks. It is definitely a risk though, so I definitely think it is a good idea for each person to weigh the potential risks before attempting it.

2. luc

luc Pen Pal - Newbie

Could you provide a direct link to the exact cables that you bought?... to have it as a reference because with only the specs of the cable i was unable to find one.

3. Mesosphere

So to follow up on the problem with the 10P cables I ordered...

The first thing was they were too short as I mentioned. They were 30 MM. The stock cables are 42 MM (according to their name). If the cable was just 1-2 MM longer it would have been long enough to span the gap; however, as a practical matter, it is probably a good idea to order longer than this so that it is easier to get the cable seated in the connectors. The hardest part of this procedure is getting the cables seated.

The other problem with the cables I ordered was in how the conductors were exposed. The conductors are exposed on only one face of the cable at each termination. The tablet requires that these exposed ends are on opposite sides. On the motherboard side the exposed conductors need to be facing up (with the tablet screen facing down), and on the digitizer side the conductors need to be facing down. The 10P touch cable I ordered had the exposed conductors on the same side of the cable at both ends, so even if it had been long enough it would not have worked.

Termination Style: Top on Both Sides, Backers on Both Sides
    top_vs_top.jpg

Termination Style: Top on One Side, Bottom on Other, Backers on Both Sides
    top_vs_bottom.jpg

Luckily my 8P pen cable was both long enough and had the conductors exposed on opposite sides of the ribbon. This was pure luck. I wasn't looking for this when I ordered, but it turns out the feature to look for is, "Top on One Side, Bottom on Other, Backers on Both Sides," according to the digi-key cable filtering tool linked in the OP. This is pictured in the bottom image above. What I ordered originally is shown in the top image.

I've now ordered 732-5198-ND as a replacement cable. These are 100MM cables which are much too long. They have 50 MM cables that you don't have to buy in bulk, but they report having zero in stock. It seems most of their cables that are not in stock can only be ordered in bulk (packs of 1000). These 50MM cables are an exception to that, but I didn't want to have to wait an unspecified amount of time, so I just ordered the longer ones.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
    Bronsky, Kumabjorn, fishdavis and 2 others like this.
  4. Mesosphere

Direct links don't seem to work, but, if you search for the product numbers I posted on the digi-key site, you can find them.

The part numbers are:
    732-5198-ND (touch cable, 100MM long)
    732-3577-ND (digitizer cable, 50 MM long)

http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en/cable-assemblies/flat-flex-ribbon-jumper-cables/1573391

dellaster and Solrax like this.
  5. SAM 2013

SAM 2013 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Huh? Someone calling my name.....
    Waiting to see if Mesosphere stopped the Auto Destruct sequence
    with his cable fix and/or just delayed it

fishdavis likes this.
  6. nicopizza

nicopizza Pen Pal - Newbie

I did not need to change my touch cable, but just moving it a bit, trying to soften its folds, did the trick...
    for those who have on and off touch/digitizer issues, it might be worthy trying just to "massage" (as Mesosphere would put it) the incriminated cable, and turn off and on the drivers to see if their "massaging approach" causes some improvement. After all, if the touch/digitizer sometimes works, means that the cable is not completely gone...
    As for me, "massaging" my touch cable went a long way and three days after my touch is still in perfect health! It might well be that tomorrow I need to reopen my tablet and do some more "shiatsu" to my little cable... and if becomes too often, there's always digikey... or even RMA.

michaelws, Mesosphere and spinedoc77 like this.
  7. flybot

flybot Pen Pal - Newbie

Might not have to order replacement cable.

Try removing the cable and cleaning the contacts on both sides with something called Deoxit. It available at your local radio shack for under $20. If the cable contacts are gold plated use the Deoxit Gold if they are not then I think Deoxit D is the best bet. (and yes I know gold plated contacts are not supposed to oxidize, etc but I've seen numbers instances where "something" got in the way of the proper conduction of the signal and this helped)

Often the connection problems are caused by poor conductivity due to oxidation or other substances interfering with the electrical signals.

Using Deoxit can't hurt, all it can do is improve the conductivity and I can tell you from experience, I have fixed many gremlins with this little trick.

My Note 8 (5/2014) has not started the auto self destruct yet, but as soon as it does, I'll give this a try first.

It would also be helpful if someone here with a bad cable were able to extract the cabe and before doing anything, were to take a multi-meter and check the electrical resistance of each conductor in the cable. This could point out if there is a broken conductor in the cable due to excessive bending, or if this is a signal attenuation problem due to some sort of electrical interference with the contacts between the cable and connector.

Anyone game for an experiment and to report back on the results?

Mesosphere likes this.
  8. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Lol, got a kick out of this.

9. Mesosphere

There are probably a million ways to "soften the folds" (does that sound nasty to anyone else?), but here was my approach. The cables from digikey are longer than the OEM ones, so careful folding is probably and even bigger issue with them.

new_8P_cable.jpg

My approach was to use two small strips of double stick mounting tape and snake the ribbon around them.

And to add to nicopizza's point. My touch sensor has been working for 5 days now following the cable massage. Maybe it was just stressed? Anyway, I still feel like the AUTO-SELF-DESTRUCT is still engaged =)

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
    johnconnor92, Wazup, flybot and 3 others like this.
  10. michaelws

michaelws Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Thanks for the picture...worth a thousand words.