DIY fix for the Asus Vivotab Note 8 pen/touch failure.

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Mesosphere, Aug 29, 2014.

?

Did the cable replacement fix work for you (votes are changeable, owners only please)?

1. Replacing the cable worked.

30.1%
  2. Fiddling with the original cable worked.

54.2%
  3. A DIY fix is not something I'm willing to try.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I attempted the fix, but it did not work for me.

6.0%
  5. I have had no digitizer issues.

9.6%
  1. Shiratori

Shiratori Pen Pal - Newbie

So is the bad driver also causing weird touchscreen issues? I'm finding that my Note 8 won't stay in sleep mode when I press the power button. It seems to wake right back up again, and then sometimes I can't the touch keyboard to come up to enter the PIN.

I'm currently trying older drivers to see if it fixes the issue. 7.3.4-28 didn't fix it so I'm going to try 7.3.4-8 and see if that works.

[EDIT] I ended up just removing the Wacom driver and forgoing Wintab support and it's working properly again.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
  2. Yoyo

Yoyo Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm running Win8.1 still so this may not be relevant. For me, Wacom driver 7.3.2-12 is working great.

3. svenk

svenk Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello all,
    Many thanks for saving my Asus Vivotab Note 8 M80TA which is now on Windows 10 1703, especially to Mesosphere the Geek :). I had touch screen problem, 10 pin cable replaced as instructed in this forum. I really enjoy that tablet and it's size + pen.

HJK likes this.
  4. Peter T

Peter T Pen Pal - Newbie

This week's W10 update solved the touchscreen issue and improved startup speed and usage reaction times dramatically.

EDIT: At least that is what I thought. However the touchscreen issue returned (deceptively it had restarted a few times after reinstalling SOC) and I discovered that the real issue was that I had jammed too much sponge/pen-refill-sections in with the cables when I replaced them and the pressure of the back on these items was forcing the cables out of their sockets.
    Problem very easily solved once identified. Running like a dream again.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  5. HJK

HJK Scribbler - Standard Member

I replaced the pen cable earlier this week, but I'm not sure whether the replacement worked or whether it was a software issue. After I replaced the cable, the pen was still completely unresponsive. So I did a complete reset to factory settings, and the pen came back, and I haven't had issues since.
    So it seems it was a software issue, but I'm not sure.

6. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

After a replacement you need only a reboot.

7. HJK

HJK Scribbler - Standard Member

Which may indicate my problem was a software issue. I'm pretty sure I tried a reboot and still didn't have any pen input. It was about a week ago, but I'm about positive I tried a reboot first. That's my MO.

8. Teo

Teo Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello everyone,
    Thank you very much Mesosphere! Same problem occurred in my tablet almost two years ago after the update. I have not been able to use it for a long time. I didn't replace the cable, I just wiggled it around a little, now the touchscreen is working! Great solution! Thanks again.

9. ToniCipriani

ToniCipriani Scribbler - Standard Member

One thing I would've checked was the device under Device Manager to see if the Code 10 is still there, then disable and re-enable.

Back then after I "massage" the back to reseat the cable I have to do that before it worked again.

HJK likes this.
  10. CmplxAdSys

CmplxAdSys Pen Pal - Newbie

Just wanted to post to let people who don't like fiddling with hardware know that I avoided this solution for a long time, but it's really easy and actually works!

I've had problems with the touchscreen for the longest time, and found this solution early on, but didn't want to do it since I have a probably irrational phobia of fiddling with hardware. Plus, reinstalling SOC drivers or running Windows hardware troubleshooting sometimes (but not always) fixed the issue. Over the past few months, my software solutions didn't work at all - my pen worked, the touch never did. Since I was on the verge of tossing the tablet, I figured I might as well give this solution a go.

Turns out that just "massaging" the touchscreen cable was enough to bring the touchscreen back to life! Just to be sure, I also ordered replacement pen and touchscreen cables, since they're cheap. If the massage doesn't last, I can always just replace.

A big thanks to Mesosphere for the OP, the others who contributed, and vk_rs for the latest links to replacement cables. While I'm still very hesitant to buy an Asus in the future due to this hardware fail, my AVTN8 M80TA tablet has new life!