DIY fix for the Asus Vivotab Note 8 pen/touch failure.

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Mesosphere, Aug 29, 2014.

?

Did the cable replacement fix work for you (votes are changeable, owners only please)?

1. Replacing the cable worked.

30.0%
  2. Fiddling with the original cable worked.

53.8%
  3. A DIY fix is not something I'm willing to try.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I attempted the fix, but it did not work for me.

6.3%
  5. I have had no digitizer issues.

10.0%
  1. Shiratori

Shiratori Pen Pal - Newbie

So is the bad driver also causing weird touchscreen issues? I'm finding that my Note 8 won't stay in sleep mode when I press the power button. It seems to wake right back up again, and then sometimes I can't the touch keyboard to come up to enter the PIN.

I'm currently trying older drivers to see if it fixes the issue. 7.3.4-28 didn't fix it so I'm going to try 7.3.4-8 and see if that works.

[EDIT] I ended up just removing the Wacom driver and forgoing Wintab support and it's working properly again.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
  2. Yoyo

Yoyo Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm running Win8.1 still so this may not be relevant. For me, Wacom driver 7.3.2-12 is working great.

3. svenk

svenk Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello all,
    Many thanks for saving my Asus Vivotab Note 8 M80TA which is now on Windows 10 1703, especially to Mesosphere the Geek :). I had touch screen problem, 10 pin cable replaced as instructed in this forum. I really enjoy that tablet and it's size + pen.

HJK likes this.
  4. Peter T

Peter T Pen Pal - Newbie

This week's W10 update solved the touchscreen issue and improved startup speed and usage reaction times dramatically.

EDIT: At least that is what I thought. However the touchscreen issue returned (deceptively it had restarted a few times after reinstalling SOC) and I discovered that the real issue was that I had jammed too much sponge/pen-refill-sections in with the cables when I replaced them and the pressure of the back on these items was forcing the cables out of their sockets.
    Problem very easily solved once identified. Running like a dream again.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  5. HJK

HJK Scribbler - Standard Member

I replaced the pen cable earlier this week, but I'm not sure whether the replacement worked or whether it was a software issue. After I replaced the cable, the pen was still completely unresponsive. So I did a complete reset to factory settings, and the pen came back, and I haven't had issues since.
    So it seems it was a software issue, but I'm not sure.

6. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

After a replacement you need only a reboot.

7. HJK

HJK Scribbler - Standard Member

Which may indicate my problem was a software issue. I'm pretty sure I tried a reboot and still didn't have any pen input. It was about a week ago, but I'm about positive I tried a reboot first. That's my MO.

8. Teo

Teo Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello everyone,
    Thank you very much Mesosphere! Same problem occurred in my tablet almost two years ago after the update. I have not been able to use it for a long time. I didn't replace the cable, I just wiggled it around a little, now the touchscreen is working! Great solution! Thanks again.

9. ToniCipriani

ToniCipriani Scribbler - Standard Member

One thing I would've checked was the device under Device Manager to see if the Code 10 is still there, then disable and re-enable.

Back then after I "massage" the back to reseat the cable I have to do that before it worked again.

HJK likes this.