DIY fix for the Asus Vivotab Note 8 pen/touch failure.

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Mesosphere, Aug 29, 2014.

?

Did the cable replacement fix work for you (votes are changeable, owners only please)?

1. Replacing the cable worked.

30.3%
  2. Fiddling with the original cable worked.

53.9%
  3. A DIY fix is not something I'm willing to try.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I attempted the fix, but it did not work for me.

6.6%
  5. I have had no digitizer issues.

9.2%
  1. msilvestro

msilvestro Pen Pal - Newbie

I was mistaken, now that you say that, I have that 12M too and the support said that it had only one year warranty. What a pity.
    I'm sorry for your AVTN8!

2. ToniCipriani

ToniCipriani Scribbler - Standard Member

Maybe at some point I can revive it, but I'm certainly not paying what Asus Canada is asking. Asus Hong Kong is refusing to sell parts too, so my only options left are try some small cellphone repair places or buy it on Asusparts.eu. Anyone have experience with them shipping to US/Canada?

3. Andreamnt93

Andreamnt93 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi guys... I opened the tablet and by fiddling with the cables now is working (had both touchscreen and pen not working at the same time...) however now I cannot regulate the brightness of the display(it's always at maximum level).
    Anybody had the same problem?
    Please help

4. Avenger

Avenger Scribbler - Standard Member

My pen is working on mine but the touchscreen doesn't work. I opened it up and tried re-inserting the touch screen cable to no avail. So I just ordered the touch screen cable. Do you guys think it is just a cable problem or can something more serious be broken?

5. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It could be the cable. I already change it because my touch was not working.

6. Yoyo

Yoyo Pen Pal - Newbie

I have 2 VT-8's, and have used one or the other of them daily since Feb. of 2013.

All 4 cables have needed replacement, and no problems w/ stylus or touch have happened to mine that manipulating or replacing the cables didn't correct.

Of course other problems are possible, but replacing the cables should be the first step. Let us know how it goes!

7. Avenger

Avenger Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks for the information. I ordered the touch cable and they already got it ready to ship. It should get here in a few days. I guess for $6 including the shipping it is worth a shot. Though I am still a bit unclear on how to fold the 100mm cable because it is too long. The picture posted here doesn't illuminate it for me. Any suggestions?

8. Peter T

Peter T Pen Pal - Newbie

Sorry about the delay in this reply It's been chaos.
    I did the USB change recently. If you can change the cables you can do the USB board. It's easier than the cables. The description on the thread is perfect. I disconnected the battery. There is a thread about the battery too somewhere.
    Can't speak for asusparts.eu shipping to the US but shipping to Eastern Europe was fine. Took longer than I expected. However it arrived.

9. fishdavis

fishdavis Scribbler - Standard Member

a very late reply but yes, shipped to canada from asusparts.eu and it cost 24 euros to ship (I ordered just the USB port board first, then saw the shipping, and then ordered another touch cable and battery).
    so buy a whole bunch of parts at once! It's still cheaper than paying the service fee to asus.

10. vk_rs

vk_rs Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi guys. I replaced both digitizer cable and touch screen cable, as per instructions (including the soft sponge attachment) and it works like brand new. No more hangups or having to reset it in device manager.

I'm sharing the links where I bought the digitizer cable and the touch screen cable. They give you 10 pieces each, and in total it costed about 10$ with customs included.

Having removed this factory glitch, this is still the best affordable tablet.

Mesosphere likes this.