DIY fix for the Asus Vivotab Note 8 pen/touch failure.

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Mesosphere, Aug 29, 2014.

?

Did the cable replacement fix work for you (votes are changeable, owners only please)?

1. Replacing the cable worked.

30.3%
  2. Fiddling with the original cable worked.

53.9%
  3. A DIY fix is not something I'm willing to try.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I attempted the fix, but it did not work for me.

6.6%
  5. I have had no digitizer issues.

9.2%
  1. fishdavis

fishdavis Scribbler - Standard Member

what are MB and TB?:)

2. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

After many months of a fixed (changed) cable, I got a non working pen. I was afraid to have a really died digitizer. Ouf, after reinstalling it, every thing is working again.

3. yéyé

yéyé Pen Pal - Newbie

I thing I ask the same question the 1° time here: motherboard and touchboard.

In summary, my tough is inverting the cable connections (and of course upside down cause the Zero Input Force connectors are upside down to each other). We could also simply bend in the cable in exact opposite direction while still insert !

The matter is that straight after your motherboard connector, the cable should have the tendency to push to the screen => this way the unprotected pin's line at the head are extend and not compress anymore.

On the rest of the cable it does not matter I thing. At the touchboard connector, there is no room to go in the bad direction cause the unprotected head'pins are directed to the screen.

If I'm right it would restore my honour cause I mess up my the TB's ZIF's clamp ! I'm not hurry, I'm gone try it for my pen cable if it fail.

4. Yoyo

Yoyo Pen Pal - Newbie

Shielding.jpg Yéyé, you caused me to tear open my tablet and look at this more. Ultimately I gave it the naked massage and put it back together, but then I looked closer at the spare cable I have.

The aluminum tape on the cables appears to have been applied by hand, and I started to wonder if it could be shorting the traces in the cable somehow. And what could its purpose be anyway? So I peeled the aluminum tape off one side of my extra cable and then discovered it is attached to one of the traces. See, in the pic?

That's when I suddenly figured out what its for. It is shielding!

If you put the cable in with the MB end to the Touch Board and the TB end toward the Mother Board, you'll be connecting the wrong pins to the shielding. I'd guess that any problems with stray currents would be amplified, rather than cancelled.

Next time I take the cable out I'm going to try removing the aluminum tape first.

5. yéyé

yéyé Pen Pal - Newbie

First I read that a flat "flex cable" can't create shortcut. That's why I investigate more with a multimeter: no short cute or loss on mine touch's cable. 100% sure. Only the unprotected pin's head could give a problem and that's where the unalligned trace going upward is... It was visible on your former picture.

Inversing cable head don't change anything to the pins order cause it is also upside down from each other. But I realise now that inverting cable head's connector would also not change the bending order. Still it would do something: judging by the pen's cable (that I hav'nt remove yet), the cable's bending is closer to the motherboard so inverting change where more compression is applied (at the motherboard connector as manufactured ). I continue to believe in my quick solution.

An other way to prove my point (which I tried but I have also a broken ZIF connector) is to carefully remove a bit of the trace coming nearby the other trace. It's is maybe to late for your cable cause I do'nt see how it can be still connected at the other end. I warn you those tiny pins need a flux pen to solder it again and I 'm not sure how the flex cable respond to heat.

For me, it's not a shielding cause all other shielding are all around their cable. It's more a common/ground line with minimal resistance to flow anything first. On IC, larger trace could also indicate a power line but here it make no sense with this thin pin at the head.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
  6. Peter T

Peter T Pen Pal - Newbie

I still recommend jamming something in there so the cables can't move. Anything would do.

I've just recently taken my device on a very long trip where it was being vibrated every day on rough roads. Functionality remains as solid as a rock.

7. Yoyo

Yoyo Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeye, if you're still paying attention:

My touch cable glitched again, and I just put it back in with ends reversed. The end labeled TP is now attached to the motherboard, and the folds in the cable are now oriented to press against the body of the tablet rather than the back cover. The clock is ticking, will it stay working? Only time will tell.

8. Avignon

Avignon Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm about to RMA mine for this.(if I'm ever able to generate the new ASUS "auto-RMA").

I've made a Macrium backup (Acronis doesn't do the 32 SSD architecture), made the bootable recovery usb stick, but when I try to test using it, (OTG + USB hub), I'm unable to get it going.

Am I missing something? How are you guys doing a workable backup? (since I know it will be returned to me in factory default state).

9. msilvestro

msilvestro Pen Pal - Newbie

Fantastic, you saved my life!
    My AVTN8 touchscreen stopped working at random moments for a random amount of time. It was worse day by day. I wanted to send it in repair, but it was no more under warranty (strange, since I had it for less than two years, anyway)
    Well, thanks to this post I ordered the touch screen cable (I'm from Italy) and I replaced it! Now it works like new!
    I can't thank you enough!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
    Mesosphere likes this.
  10. ToniCipriani

ToniCipriani Scribbler - Standard Member

Mine's only 1 year warranty, it says on the serial sticker (12M).

Together with the busted USB and now the Touch cable is acting up, I'm seriously considering giving up on it, and save up for a Venue 8 Pro 5855 instead.