DIY fix for the Asus Vivotab Note 8 pen/touch failure.

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Mesosphere, Aug 29, 2014.

?

Did the cable replacement fix work for you (votes are changeable, owners only please)?

1. Replacing the cable worked.

31.0%
  2. Fiddling with the original cable worked.

52.9%
  3. A DIY fix is not something I'm willing to try.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I attempted the fix, but it did not work for me.

6.9%
  5. I have had no digitizer issues.

9.2%
  1. fishdavis

fishdavis Scribbler - Standard Member

you don't need pliers, just something long and thin to open (GENTLY) the cable latches (or you can even just pull out the cable, but it's more annoying to re-insert this way)

it's really not that bad :)

fear not, familiarity shall breed contempt.

2. Quark999

Quark999 Pen Pal - Newbie

I thought the update to Windows 10 had fritzed something because my pen stopped working for the first time in 1 1/2 years. But then I saw this thread and started to wonder whether it might be hardware after all - and lo and behold I just had to uncurl the cable slightly and pen input came back (after disabling/enabling the driver).

So just as a data point - if you think it's Windows 10, it's probably still hardware :) Thanks for saving me money I would have had to spend on a Surface 3!

Bronsky and Mesosphere like this.
  3. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

No problem, the S3 is really nice though =P

4. minigendo

minigendo Pen Pal - Newbie

My Asus Vivotab note 8 lasted roughly 9 months before the pen cable gave out. It had experienced intermittent issues with the pen suddenly ceasing to function, but a restart had fixed it. This morning though, it stopped working entirely. I had come across this forum while researching the device though, so I had order the cables shortly after I purchased the device. After replacement (I did the touch cable as well while I had it open, even though the touch had never given me trouble), and turning the device back on, pen functionality was restored as if nothing had ever happened. My thanks to the users of this forum for blazing the trail.

A few notes on the replacement procedure. At least in my case, getting the device open was the hardest part. Following the youtube video, I made use of a small flathead screwdriver, and while that was enough to pop maybe 4/10 of the tabs, it also succeeded in leaving quite a few unsightly nicks and mars on the side of the device. I eventually had much better luck with an ipod opening tool, and I imagine a guitar pick would have worked as well. Live and learn.

It's fairly trivial to flip the connector switch on both the connectors you can actually see. Using a bent staple, I was able to clip and unclip the pen cable connector that faces into the device but this was fairly difficult. I was unable to perform this on the touch cable, and so simply applied more force using a pair of smooth pliers. This had no ill effects that I could discern, and so I'm not really sure it's worth the trouble to try and flip the obscured connector switches.

Regardless, my thanks again for providing information on this fix.

Mesosphere likes this.
  5. cyberspearit

cyberspearit Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey, just like to add to the replacing the cable work vote. Although mine was a minor case. There were instances where the pen would stop working until I shook the tablet a bit and restart. But it got annoying so I decided to order both ribbon cables(in case touch fails, backup) from digikey (with a hefty $34AUD shipping fee TT_TT my main reason to order both ribbon cables) and it arrived fairly fast to Australia. Followed Meso's Youtube video along with the pictures from 2.0(thank god for the latches) and yay booted it up and the stylus works, flipped it around and no disconnects so cheers!

On an unrelated note the camera isn't working. Does anyone have a similer issue? I've tried reinstalling the drivers :\

Mesosphere likes this.
  6. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Yes, my camera is also disconnected but since I've never used it I see that as an anti spy feature.

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

7. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Yea, I've been wondering if the NSA is responsible for my mysterious battery drain episodes...

8. Kumabjorn

Someone, who I believe work for said agency but would of course never acknowledge that, once told me that turning on a microphone remotely and leaving it on for 14 hours would drain the battery an additional 4%, the likelihood that anyone ever knowing is practically zilch.

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

9. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Listening to my life for 14 hours would likely be fatal to even the most highly trained NSA agents. At the very least would cause traumatic brain injury.

10. Kumabjorn

That is exactly why they have uncle Cray scan for keywords. I remember there being an alert when you drive over your Asus, apparently that sounded like code for something in Farsi.

To my dear dear friends at NSA, I'm just kidding, please don't turn on my microphone.

Yes, I'm happy to see you and that is a Sony Xperia in my pocket

Bronsky likes this.