DIY fix for the Asus Vivotab Note 8 pen/touch failure.

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Mesosphere, Aug 29, 2014.

?

Did the cable replacement fix work for you (votes are changeable, owners only please)?

1. Replacing the cable worked.

29.8%
  2. Fiddling with the original cable worked.

54.8%
  3. A DIY fix is not something I'm willing to try.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I attempted the fix, but it did not work for me.

6.0%
  5. I have had no digitizer issues.

9.5%
  1. fishdavis

fishdavis Scribbler - Standard Member

I was actually poking around with this today, front camera does nothing disabled/cable removed. Was gonna open up the mobo to rip out the other one (I have it disabled) but today's too busy. If it's disabled, would it still produce interference anyway? It does seem pretty suspect that the worst distortion is right where the cameras are (I'm assuming other distortion comes from the speakers (rip, rip))

Anyone know how you would add more shielding to this thing without frying everything inside? (tinfoil??)

BTW how do you guys use the bios without a wired keyboard? Does the touchscreen work or do you just use a USB kb?

well, it's not the speakers:p

image002a.png

asusspeakers.jpg

AND as punishment for fiddling around I now have to redo my 1000000000 point calibration!

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
    yéyé and Bronsky like this.
  2. yéyé

yéyé Pen Pal - Newbie

I cant' find the Mesosphere's video here (page 8 really ?)or on the net.

The screws to hold screen or mother board could be on each side like that.

Inside a disassembled laptop's power supply, it look like tinfoil combined with static shielding foil (plastic layer).

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  3. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Looks like it is on page 16. I think there used to be 20 posts per page, and at some point it changed to 10, so what used to be on page 8 went to 16.... or something like that.

4. fishdavis

I thought the screws would be connected to the grounding, no? This device... haha

Couldn't figure out how to remove the back camera without breaking anything, but I'm not sure it is what's causing the interference anyway.

5. yéyé

yéyé Pen Pal - Newbie

I motivated myself to start thinking with the screws.... You're right they are grounded on Mesos's video and put an other place !

Other possibility given your last sentence, did you calibrate it without the speaker before drawing all those line ?

Distortion around camera is minor to none and it's mechanically soldered for sure.

I am wondering if you can visually show the edge's Wacom precision with line crossing all the screen if you take this picture again.

Page 16 for opening and 24 for replacing just like you told.

Tank you both for the knowhowsphere ;)

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  6. fishdavis

I would but I don't want to go through the calibration again heh. It wouldn't make a diff is my guess, because that large band of distortion isn't cleaned up by calibration anyway (the other edge areas become better though). And it was displaying pretty much the same amount of distortion. Feel free to try :D

7. yéyé

yéyé Pen Pal - Newbie

It seems awkward to me that calibration is harder to make than taking apart the speakers. But I have well heard about the millions points calibration with Wacom software. It's that horrible ? Use Asus calibration first for checking there is improvement I would say then.

Cause if you think about it, yours lines fit perfectly with the speaker even afterward. It could be a distortion when calibration occurred and it stay without the speakers. In this case we could even put the speaker again without affecting the accuracy. Definitely worth to try.

I just found mine second hand. I'm happy with the accuracy except round those areas. For sure I will try it after a while.

I found here Graki speaking about a 90° clip fasten the camera:
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads/asus-vivotab-note-8-usb-broken-heres-how-to-fix.64205/page-4

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
  8. fishdavis

yeah tapping 81 points isn't fun. :) at all. I'd rather unscrew this thing five times than re-calibrate that again. Plus, recalibrating the 4 point one is also annoying to get the pointer exactly where I want it to go. I'm picky about the offset.

I don't know why it reset, it seems somewhat random as it didn't reset the first time I messed around with the speakers/camera halfheartedly... did have a bios screen popup the second time so who knows :)

The white clipper he's talking about is for the front camera ribbon, I wasn't sure how to take off the rear camera without breaking stuff, plus it didn't seem to be doing anything anyway.

Let us know if you do fiddle around with it!

9. johnconnor92

johnconnor92 Pen Pal - Newbie

@Mesosphere, in the cable replacement Youtube video, is the cable for touch screen or for the digitizer pen? I just want to be absolutely sure.

Also, did your digitizer pen fail after the replacement? How long did it take before it failed again?

Thank you!

10. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

I think it was the touch cable, but I have them labeled on the pictures in the OP. The touch cable is the slightly wider one. It has 10 conductors vs 8 for the pen.

I've not had any of my cable replacements fail after more than a year now (I've replaced both cables in both of my tablets). The cable I simply tried to "fiddle" with failed again after about a month.