DIY fix for the Asus Vivotab Note 8 pen/touch failure.

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Mesosphere, Aug 29, 2014.

?

Did the cable replacement fix work for you (votes are changeable, owners only please)?

1. Replacing the cable worked.

29.8%
  2. Fiddling with the original cable worked.

54.8%
  3. A DIY fix is not something I'm willing to try.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I attempted the fix, but it did not work for me.

6.0%
  5. I have had no digitizer issues.

9.5%
  1. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Yep, think so.

2. HeavyHanded

HeavyHanded Windows Tablet PC Zealot!

I'm having the same problem you did. I live in Japan. I bought my Vivotab Note 8 in Japan. I sent it back for RMA in July. Was working till just yesterday. Try refreshing Windows 8.1, but didn't fix the problem. What update did you do to fix it?

3. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

I just waited for the next OTA update. I've discovered that during the update process, and this often starts in the background without any notification, pen digitizer is suspended. Once updated and rebooted it comes back.

Balbutio ergo sum

4. HeavyHanded

HeavyHanded Windows Tablet PC Zealot!

Bob Vila? Hey, how old are you? lol!

5. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Old enough that my mother let's me watch YouTube.

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

6. edward1234

edward1234 Pen Pal - Newbie

Just signed up to post here.

Had my brand new Vivotab for about 5 days, put on a screen protector and then while I was putting it back in it's case (one of those rugged silicon cases), I heard a faint crack/snap noise. This was while I was seating the bottom half of the device in the case, i did not flex it abnormally, or even at all really, and I was being super careful to not get the screen protector edges caught on the case having painstakingly cleaned the screen with ipa and made sure no particles were under the screen protector so I didn't want to accidentally lift it up on the case edge and mess it up. The pen was now not working when I turned it on.

I replaced the digitizer cable with the one mentioned in this thread, I didn't use any tools except a spudger and esd wristband, fitted the cable by hand, and now it works again so thank you very much!

That being said, the internal design of this device is pretty horrendous and the build quality terrible considering if I was just an average user, the device broke within 5 days while putting it into a case. If I didn't repair electronics in my spare time and was just a normal consumer then I would be severely disappointed with this product, so would not recommend anyone purchase it who is not technically savvy.

It's good so far, but I am annoyed that I had to open it up within a week to repair what was the entire selling point of the tablet for me.

Thanks again for the repair advice though!

fishdavis likes this.
  7. runout_mick

runout_mick Pen Pal - Newbie

Six months after cables replaced, both tablets still going strong. Both still see daily use, and take some abuse.

It's amazing that this one fix turns them from junk into a great value tablet. I still think these were one of the best electronics purchases I've ever made.

Mesosphere likes this.
  8. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Me too. After few months after replacement of both cables in my both avn8, everything is working great. I am just waiting new model with 4gb of memory, like the s3, to buy new ones.

9. Sweetpea8472

Sweetpea8472 Scribbler - Standard Member

And I still haven't even figured out where I can buy those cables. Mine still only needs an occasional rub...

10. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I have a set I am not likely to need if you ever have to replace yours. I have no idea how much the postage is from the US to where you are, but if it's cheaper than buying a set locally or if you can't find an outlet, you're welcome to mine.

What a great device this would be with an X7 Cherry Trial Atom, 4GB Ram and a 128GB eMMC. Never happen!:(

fishdavis likes this.