DIY fix for the Asus Vivotab Note 8 pen/touch failure.

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Mesosphere, Aug 29, 2014.

?

Did the cable replacement fix work for you (votes are changeable, owners only please)?

1. Replacing the cable worked.

29.8%
  2. Fiddling with the original cable worked.

54.8%
  3. A DIY fix is not something I'm willing to try.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I attempted the fix, but it did not work for me.

6.0%
  5. I have had no digitizer issues.

9.5%
  1. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Ouch, sorry to hear that =( Were you attempting a cable repair or was it a replacement?

How do you think you crossed the connections?

2. Yoyo

Yoyo Scribbler - Standard Member

Will, what happens if you plug the factory cables back in and try to boot?

Meaning, is one of the replacement cables internally shorted or otherwise defective?

3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Did you have the cable twisted when you put it in the socket?

4. riukas

riukas Pen Pal - Newbie

One of my AVN8s (number two from this post) has intermittent pen/touch issue for several months too. I wonder if this is the same issue. I did a factory reset, and then tried to avoid any of the windows/asus updates yet for these several months. However, maybe some Windows updates were actually automatically installed by me or another user after restarting the PC (as Windows does this automatically).
    Here are things that sometimes show up (intermittently):
    1) I put the tip of the pen on screen, drag it and then release it; however sometimes it registers the touch/release of the pen when there is no actual touch/release, and sometimes it doesn't register the touch/release of the pen when there is actual touch/release. I don't remember if it happens with finger touch too, probably yes.
    2) When I move the tip of the pen from futher distance closer to the screen (about 1 cm away from the screen), it already registers pen touch (instead, it should probably register just some "cursor/arrow in range" event at that moment). I.e. the pen is clicking things even if it's ~1 cm away from screen.

Keep in mind updates are not fully installed.
    The question I have is - are both these two issues (symptoms) exactly the same as what you mean by fixing the ribbon cable in this thread? Or could one (or both) of them be something completely different?

And where can we get these cables in Europe? (Digikey is in USA, right?)

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  5. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

I could imagine bad cables causing these problems, but, if so, they don't sound like the usual symptoms. The cables have 8 conductors and I don't know what each of them do, so it is hard to guess what kind of symptoms might develop depending on which set of conductors are making bad/intermittent contact. Your symptoms sound fairly unique though in terms of people who experience cable problems.

Regarding the cable vendors. Digikey has stores in several countries. I know they have one in the UK at least. Also, in the OP I linked to a post containing the manufacturer part numbers. If you google those numbers, you can find many vendors which sell them.

6. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Today when booting up the pen digitizer didn't work. I have to admit that I doubt it is the cable problem, no intermittent on and off situation, and IIRC the problem doesn't show up in Device Manager. I on the other hand have an exclamation mark in a yellow triangle and under Properties it reports; This device cannot start (Code 10)
    STATUS_DEVICE_DATA_ERROR

I suspect some update, but if no one else has this problem I have to look for some repair again.

Balbutio ergo sum

7. Sweetpea8472

Sweetpea8472 Scribbler - Standard Member

No, it's the same hardware problem. It probably is making intermittent connections. So, it does see it has a pen, but it's not responding as it should (or in a timely fashion) and you'll get that exclamation mark. A good rub should get it straight, but in your case, you'll also have to disable and enable the device (using the device manager).

8. Yoyo

Yoyo Scribbler - Standard Member

Kuma, I'll concur with Sweetpea here. Both of my VTN-8's have shown this failure mode before being temporarily revived by fiddling, and permanently revived by cable replacement. Sorry to hear you are now in this camp, but the repair is fairly easy and extremely cheap. Don't give up!

Does this mean you'll be using and reporting on your experience with your Toshiba tablet? I'm intrigued, since the Asus is great but just too small for note taking.

9. Sweetpea8472

Sweetpea8472 Scribbler - Standard Member

For me, the asus is great, especially for note taking... I find 10" too large for notetaking, which is why I really want that pen to keep working.

10. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I managed to grab the digitizer cable when I went to replace the touch cable.