DIY fix for the Asus Vivotab Note 8 pen/touch failure.

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Mesosphere, Aug 29, 2014.

?

Did the cable replacement fix work for you (votes are changeable, owners only please)?

1. Replacing the cable worked.

29.8%
  2. Fiddling with the original cable worked.

54.8%
  3. A DIY fix is not something I'm willing to try.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I attempted the fix, but it did not work for me.

6.0%
  5. I have had no digitizer issues.

9.5%
  1. runout_mick

runout_mick Pen Pal - Newbie

Purchased in Sept 2014 from Memory Express for $230cdn. They seem to have stopped carrying them now, otherwise I'd have linked.

2. music_ismath

music_ismath Pen Pal - Newbie

just chiming in to say thanks. I hadn't used my AVN8 (purchased Aug 2014) for a couple months and was dismayed that the pen had stopped working at some point once I came back to it. Was not eager to go through an RMA and stumbled across this thread. First just jiggled the cable a bit and it came back for a couple days before dying again. Then I reseated one end of the cable (cant remember which end) and it's been working great. Ordered the replacement cables and will probably replace once they come just to avoid future problems.

I noticed a couple people mentioning having problems booting the device. I've noticed this too - sometimes it just doesn't want to turn on even though it's charged up. Eventually it does, although I'm not exactly sure what (if anything) I do to get it to go. Is this a known thing? Anything to be done about it?

Overall I'm really impressed by this little guy.

Mesosphere likes this.
  3. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

If it has been off for a longer time and battery is run down, after charging it and turning it on it probably has a lot of Windows updates to install, this is done in the background and the device doesn't turn on until those updates are finished.

fishdavis likes this.
  4. music_ismath

music_ismath Pen Pal - Newbie

Ah, that could be it. It was charged but yes, I believe there were updates. I've noticed it sometimes looks like it gets "stuck" during updates, where it sits forever on 0% waiting to download or install.

5. greenblob

greenblob Pen Pal - Newbie

Just bought one from woot.com and the pen didn't work out of the box. Installing the pen drivers from Asus' website didn't help. I'm still installing all the updates, so maybe things will get better, but it's not looking too great.

6. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Mine lost its pen functionality after a slight fall --- opening the case, massaging the cable, and stopping and restarting the pen driver got it working again.

7. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

My guess is the bulk of the returned units were returned for failed pens. Since the problem is intermittent at first, it might go unnoticed in the refurb process.

8. greenblob

Well, it's working now, but we'll see if it craps out in a few days/weeks ...

9. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Yea, unfortunately that is the typical mode of failure. It rarely just suddenly dies for good. It just fails more and more frequently and becomes harder to get back. There have been exceptions though, so maybe you will get lucky =)

I'd order the replacement cables now though if I were you.

10. greenblob

Yup, it just failed (while I was using it, too!). Reinstalling the driver doesn't seem to help.

EDIT: ... And it's back. I "massaged" the back where the cable should be and after restarting the driver it started working again. I have no idea if that actually did anything, but it means I can put off taking it apart.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2015