DIY fix for the Asus Vivotab Note 8 pen/touch failure.

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Mesosphere, Aug 29, 2014.

?

Did the cable replacement fix work for you (votes are changeable, owners only please)?

1. Replacing the cable worked.

31.0%
  2. Fiddling with the original cable worked.

52.9%
  3. A DIY fix is not something I'm willing to try.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I attempted the fix, but it did not work for me.

6.9%
  5. I have had no digitizer issues.

9.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Funny the spread. I've had 5 cables fail across two tablets (one was the RMA cable). Some people have been going for a good chunk of a year with no failures. Granted, now that I know how to fix it, I replace it first sign of problems, so I may have been able to eek out more time out of the cables if I tried.

2. HJK

HJK Scribbler - Standard Member

Ok, so I've skimmed over this thread, and, as a potential VTN8 purchaser, I get the idea that 1. the digitizer is almost guaranteed to quit working at some point so that 2. if you want to use a VTN8, you had better be pretty darned sophisticated, willing to spend hours or even days taking things apart, reading through arcane DIY instructions, purchasing internal tablet organs, and reassembling something that should have been manufactured better in the first place. Does that sound about right?

3. HJK

And two related questions: 1) Is there any sign that more recent VTN8 models have improved in terms of digitizer failure? 2) Will the fix described here invalidate the warranty?

4. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Nope, DIY instructions are succinct, replacement takes a mere five to ten minutes depending on your manual dexterity, otherwise you are right.

Sent from my SC-01F using Tapatalk

2.0™ and Mesosphere like this.
  5. HJK

Hmmm . . . That makes the AVTN8 look like a little bit less of a steal when compared against competitors like the Samsung Galaxy Note 8 and the Dell Venue 8 Pro.
    What of my other two questions, concerning whether Asus may have fixed the issue or whether the diy fix invalidates the warranty? Any help on those two? (I can't find a "search this thread" option; forgive me if I'm missing that and if these questions have already been addressed)

6. 2.0™

2.0™ Been Inkin' Staff Member

1. No sign as it's just the cables and the way they are folded over. It's mostly hit or miss. A sure sign would be that they started to use shorter cables. But no one would know unless they opened up the unit first.

2. Yes and no. If you *say* you replaced the cables, then yes it would. If you send it back with the replacement cables installed, it might if a repair person detects it AND wants to make an issue out of it. The good news on that front is that you can always put back the original cables before sending it in.

Advice: use a guitar pic so it won't dent the seams when you take it apart.

Mesosphere and Kumabjorn like this.
  7. HJK

Hmmm . . . I am greatly disappointed as I really had my heart set on this sweet little Wacom penabled tablet to give to my wife. But I'm thinking that I'll steer clear of this one for now. I definitely don't want to invalidate the warranty, and I don't want to have to mail it in and wait for it to get fixed every two months either. Bummer, as the young folks used to say before they got old.
    I'll keep my eye on Amazon and the MS store, though. If the price drops back down on Amazon or the $180 model on MS Store comes back in stock, I still might consider it.

8. Sweetpea8472

Sweetpea8472 Scribbler - Standard Member

Yesterday, my pen stopped working suddenly (nothing a good massage didn't cure though). But I also had trouble turning the device on using the power button. It took me a few tries before it finally turned on. I know I can use the home button to get it out of sleep mode, but I wanted to check something. The last time my pen failed, I also had trouble turning the device on with the power button...

Coincidence? (my device still hasn't been opened up yet).

9. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

"That makes the AVTN8 look like a little bit less of a steal when compared against competitors like the Samsung Galaxy Note 8 and the Dell Venue 8 Pro."

It comes down to ... if you need an AVN8, you put up with its flaws. If the Samsung Note or 8" Dell fits your use, buy it. In large part, we are not here by choice. For us, the M80TA is the only game in town.

My answers to your questions.

You are right.
    1. No.
    2. Yes.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
    HJK likes this.
  10. Caldeio

Caldeio Pen Pal - Newbie

massaged my cables yesterday. One month here. Power button is being tricky lately too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.