DIY fix for the Asus Vivotab Note 8 pen/touch failure.

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Mesosphere, Aug 29, 2014.

?

Did the cable replacement fix work for you (votes are changeable, owners only please)?

1. Replacing the cable worked.

31.0%
  2. Fiddling with the original cable worked.

52.9%
  3. A DIY fix is not something I'm willing to try.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I attempted the fix, but it did not work for me.

6.9%
  5. I have had no digitizer issues.

9.2%
  1. Yoyo

Yoyo Scribbler - Standard Member

My digitizer cable is definitely held in by a latch, at least on the digitizer end. The latch is anything but obvious.

I opened it with a piece of plastic shaped like a blade type jeweler's screwdriver to avoid scratching the contacts, fashioned from a plastic toothpick.

My tablet is a very early one, purchased roughly 2/15/14.

2. 2.0™

2.0™ Been Inkin' Staff Member

The ribbon cables are definitely held by latch. In fact if you unscrew the mobo and lift it, you will see the latch for the other end. I have pics I'll post up later.

Also, Digikey has a 50mm, 10pin ribbon cable just like the 100mm one. Part # 732-3579-ND.

All the same specs with regards to pitch, exposed length at ends, exposed ends on opposite sides, etc. This length wouldn't need to be folded over but would make a small arch that would be compressed by casing.

Dave47 and Mesosphere like this.
  3. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Yea, the 50mm cable was out of stock for awhile. I look forward to seeing those mobo pics =)

4. fishdavis

fishdavis Scribbler - Standard Member

I have that exact 50mm 10 p cable installed and it still has to be folded over.

5. Mesosphere

The 100mm cable had to be folded even more =)

Dave47 likes this.
  6. fishdavis

fishdavis Scribbler - Standard Member

haha yeah, I saw your pic and remember thinking 'man that looks like a cassette tape'. *things that show the age*

7. 2.0™

2.0™ Been Inkin' Staff Member

Looking at the original ribbon cables, ASUS's mistake was using foil plus an adhesive on the ribbon cables. When the cables were installed, the installer folds then applies downward pressure to the ribbon cables to ensure that they stick to the plastic base they are adhered to.

What happens? Likely, the thin metal (copper core) in the cable gets gets fatigued from installation with no ability to relieve that stress in any direction thanks to both the foil and the adhesive. Knocks, bangs and vibration to the unit adds to the already stressed ribbons with no way for them to relieve the stress other than at their weakest points... the sharp bends at the folds which results in microscopic separation cracks (think bending a paper clip back and forth many times until it gives. But imagine vibrating that paper clip a million times at only +/- 15 degrees. It will "pop" apart.).

This is where Mesosphere's fix finds its simple elegance. The Digikey sold cables (made by Wurth Electronics) have superior tensil strength to the OEM cables and can pass a 180Deg flexing test >20 times. They're almost Mil-Spec. Letting them fold over freely is all one needs to do in order to avoid the same issue as seen with the OEM cables. By letting them sit folded over freely (no adhesive, tape, or foam padding), they can absorb and dissipate various forces without leading to stress fractures in the copper lines.

Just plug them in, do a gentle "s" fold over and let the rear casing compress them down. There's a bit of air space in there such that it won't crush them down. There's about 2-3mm of space between the board and the rear shell interior. You can tell by the 5 or so spring loaded grounding contacts that are soldered to the board. They connect to the copper backing on the rear shell interior. You can see the little "pinpoint" depressions they leave on the copper backing. (At first I thought they were tamper evidence switches. LOL).

Gotta say, Meso, your fix is one for the history books. You've done the community a great service with your discovery. ASUS should take note and give you credit for the save.

Solrax, Dave47 and michaelws like this.
  8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

So 2.0, has the M80TA become your constant companion like the rest of us? I know you had a 10 inch HP 1000.

2.0™ likes this.
  9. Mesosphere

Thanks 2.0.

I wonder if sales have upticked much. I know several people have posted that they bought it because of the fix, but I wonder how many people outside of us crazy enthusiasts are aware of it (or would even consider opening up the tablet to fix it).

In any case, that is ASUS's problem =P I'm glad to have helped a few folks around here either way.

fishdavis, Solrax and 2.0™ like this.
  10. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

31k page views, I guess a lot of people have ended up here courtesy of Google.

Sent from my SC-01F using Tapatalk

2.0™ likes this.