DIY fix for the Asus Vivotab Note 8 pen/touch failure.

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Mesosphere, Aug 29, 2014.

?

Did the cable replacement fix work for you (votes are changeable, owners only please)?

1. Replacing the cable worked.

29.8%
  2. Fiddling with the original cable worked.

54.8%
  3. A DIY fix is not something I'm willing to try.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I attempted the fix, but it did not work for me.

6.0%
  5. I have had no digitizer issues.

9.5%
  1. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

It has now been over two months since I replaced my digitizer cable and it is still going strong.

Unfortunately, the same can not be said for my touch cable "fiddling". It did extend the life of the cable by a month and a half though which is plenty of time for an emergency fix. New cables can be ordered and received much more quickly than that.

Solrax and Caldeio like this.
  2. Caldeio

Caldeio Pen Pal - Newbie

You only replaced one cable and not both correct?
    Your video on youtube helped me decide to get one of these.

Mesosphere likes this.
  3. Mesosphere

I have two tablets. In the first tablet I've replaced both cables. The digitizer was failing and the touch cable replacement was just to see if it would work. It has been probably a month and a half on that touch cable.

In the second tablet I have the digitizer cable RMA replaced, and initially I only "fiddled" with the touch cable, but have now replaced it (about a week ago).

4. fishdavis

fishdavis Scribbler - Standard Member

original pen cable died again, fiddling didn't work. putting in the digikey cable didn't work at first, then I managed to raise the exposed latch with my pinky fingernail and seated the cable again. jammed the cable into the inaccessible end -- now working again!
    thanks for the latch info people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mesosphere likes this.
  5. Mesosphere

So the latch does flip up then? I couldn't get it to budge. Typical for me though =) My limit on the amount of force I'm willing to apply to something is always low. On the plus side, I almost never break anything =P

6. fishdavis

I got my pinky nail at the base of the white connector (it really doesn't look like one) and lifted the latch (farthest point from the cable) really gently upward (towards the cable). It popped up to a 90 degree angle, really easily -- only a tiny amount of force was needed. Same principle for the black touch connector latch which is much easier to access. To be honest I was just experimentally poking around with my fingernail, was surprised when it worked. I thought originally it would slide down the connector instead of lifting up so much.

I know, I've broken a bigger one of these before so I was a bit nervous about breaking it. I thought these were so small they didn't have a latch (plus one end of them is totally unreachable) -- and the white pen latch is completely indistinguishable from the body of the pen connector. I only figured that one out after poking at the touch cable latch.

---

enclosed bad pic of the pen connector latch since Meso linked to this post. it's like a little comb that flips up 90 degrees perpendicular to the pins.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415268509.163098.jpg

Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
    Mesosphere likes this.
  7. Mesosphere

Well good too know for next time... although now I have all of my cables replaced (one of them by RMA), so hopefully I wont need to get back in there =P I'll link your post in the OP.

fishdavis likes this.
  8. Solrax

Solrax Pen Pal - Newbie

Something to keep in mind (and I'm not going to open mine back up just to look) but there might be manufacturing variations where some of these have latched connectors and some don't. Just saying it's a possibility...

I looked closely at the (somewhat blurry) pictures I took of my tablet guts and I don't see any latches, both connectors appears to be solid, one piece.

9. fishdavis

oh thanks, hopefully it'll help someone. I'll take an explanatory picture next time I'm in there (I've come to expect this will be soon) and draw on it with paint or something. do not feel like opening this thing up any. more. times.

that's very optimistic of you haha. I feel like j should be ordering a replacement replacement spare spare cable...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. fishdavis

EDIT
    memory derp probably caused by looking at Mesosphere's pic too much -- I thought for a moment that the pen cable connector was black and white too, but the pen cable connector is solid white and as you mentioned, it doesn't look like two separate pieces, but it has the same structure to the black and white touch one. it doesn't look like it does flip up but it will, with very little force. corner of your pinky nail? spudger should do it.

I was unable to get my spare digikey cable to work properly until I put it in with the latch unhooked, guess it just doesn't go deep enough otherwise. mine definitely seems slightly fatter than the original cable.

Second edit.

because I'm a sucker for punishment (also procrastinating work) I opened the tablet up and took two terrible pictures just for you (I could not get the black and white connector to show up on camera, same principle though) of the 8pin latch. you can see (or not) it's like a comb that flips up 90 degrees, towards the cable. from the side of the tablet, I guess you could theoretically flip the other connector that's conveniently located upside-down under the mobo with a spudger or something, someone else can try that :p

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415243848.704305.jpg

also I tried popping the original pen cable back in, this time seeing if reseating it with the latch un/locking would help -- and it works again. go figure. I'll see how long it stays working I guess. <--- about half an hour!

I also installed the replacement 10pin 50mm cable as a test and it works (was also fatter/harder to insert than the original IMHO, also had to latch it in). I didn't have any touch cable problems to begin with but have tonnes of faith in the longevity of asus products :p

Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
    Solrax likes this.