DIY fix for the Asus Vivotab Note 8 pen/touch failure.

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Mesosphere, Aug 29, 2014.

?

Did the cable replacement fix work for you (votes are changeable, owners only please)?

1. Replacing the cable worked.

31.0%
  2. Fiddling with the original cable worked.

52.9%
  3. A DIY fix is not something I'm willing to try.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I attempted the fix, but it did not work for me.

6.9%
  5. I have had no digitizer issues.

9.2%
  1. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

1) I never worry about that unless I notice my self getting shocked often when I touch something grounded in a given place. So far as I know, I haven't killed anything yet. Probably that is the safest approach though =)

2.5) I don't like the sound of my recorded voice.

2) Wireless keyboard/mouse helps, and cleared it for the video =P

Solrax likes this.
  2. fishdavis

fishdavis Scribbler - Standard Member

Oh, nice video, thanks. That looks pretty much like what I did, except I was having to exert so much force with the pliers I thought they might ruin the cable, so I went back to using fingers and a bit of a side-to-side rocking motion. Mine was a lot harder to push into the sockets than it seems like yours was. I thought about shaving some of the sides off but didn't want to risk ruining the cable. It took a lot of pushing to get the digitizer cable to register, compared to the old cable which slips in fairly easily.

Good to know about the power, I was extremely unhappy for a while there... I wonder why it requires the power input despite having battery life.

Also I was trying to crease the original cable back to how it originally was so RMA would replace it, but instead it ended up working again. I guess I'm not complaining.

I always grab something metal before opening computer stuff up out of habit 'casehugging'

3. Solrax

Solrax Pen Pal - Newbie

And that could be half the problem with the old cables! You don't need to reseat cables that don't come loose...

I also had to push pretty hard, using needle-nosed pliers, to get my replacement digitizer cable seated. This made me happy, I know it's not going to come loose.

fishdavis and Mesosphere like this.
  4. Greenlee

Greenlee Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't think you need pliers to take out the cable...Just use your finger nail to flip up the latch on the socket.

5. fishdavis

fishdavis Scribbler - Standard Member

There's a latch?

Solrax likes this.
  6. Mesosphere

Yea, I intend to look for that when I open it back up to replace my fiddled with touch screen cable (which is failing frequently now). I recently saw a video for the Venue 8 pro that had connectors like that. On the motherboard end though, the connector is underneath, so even if it does flip up (down), it probably isn't easily accessible without first removing the motherboard.

7. MattB

MattB Pen Pal - Newbie

New to the forum, but read through most of you guys' posts to figure everything out about this tablet from cases to this issue, and thanks to everyone for putting everything you've found on here. I've had my tablet for just about a month with no issues, and I just had the Wacom issue hit today for the first time (build date April 2014). Thanks for all of the tips on here.

I was able to get my case open quickly/easily/safely with a guitar pick, placed small pieces of 3M double-sided mounting tape inside the digitizer ribbon creases to lessen the bends, and stylus worked immediately upon turning my tablet back on. Touch was still working fine, but as a precaution, I added foam to those bends as well. Adding to both insides of the "S" curves definitely helps to force the curves so that even after the case is put back on, the compression won't cause any further deformation. I've ordered the cables as well like others have mentioned just-in-case, but I think adding cushion ahead of time or at least at the first onset of the issue might save the OEM cables.

Solrax and fishdavis like this.
  8. tgv

tgv Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you so much for the latest video, Meso.

My vivotab has lasted longer than others (I´m sure my use of it is less intense than others', maybe this is the reason?). I bought it back in Feb and this month it had its first digitizer blip. A restart bought it back but a week later it went again and no amount of restarting would bring it back. So I took the plunge and opened the back. I probably have LESS ability than a caveman for something like this and I didnt know how to "reseat" the cable. I simply "massaged" it and refolded it in the opposite direction (if before it was like a "z", now Ive left it like a backward "z"). Fortunately this was enough to bring it back. But it s great to see a video of how to take out the cable and reseat or replace, makes me feel better in case I need to do it in the future :)

Solrax likes this.
  9. Mesosphere

I just opened it up to finally replace my "fiddled with" touch cable. I have a feeling that if I had fiddled with it again I could maybe go another 2 months, but I have the new cable so why bother?

Anyway, while I was in there I investigated the connectors. The one on the motherboard end is pretty much inaccessible unless you first remove the motherboard.

upload_2014-10-30_10-4-8.png

The one near the touch screen board is accessible, but only my pinky was small enough to reach it because of the plastic housing that surrounds it. I tried flipping it up with both my pinky and my mini flat head screw driver, but I was unable to get it to budge. With the screw driver in particular I didn't apply much force and gave up quickly because I was afraid I would destroy the contacts. With my finger nail I applied a little more force. The whole board was flexing, and I wasn't willing to apply any more force. Below is the picture of the connecter. Maybe someone more familiar with these things can say whether this connecter should be able to flip up or not.

upload_2014-10-30_10-9-58.png

In any case, this cable was again relatively easy to seat with my needle nose pliers. One thing you have to have in mind though is it doesn't go in very deep.

Since I bought extra cables, I decided to experiment this time by not being at all careful about the folds. It may be that only the original cables are so fragile, or it may be that the folds were not the culprit to begin with. In any case, we'll see how it goes =)

fishdavis and Solrax like this.
  10. Shikirokay

Shikirokay Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you so much! The fix is working like a dream so far.

Mesosphere likes this.