DIY fix for the Asus Vivotab Note 8 pen/touch failure.

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Mesosphere, Aug 29, 2014.

?

Did the cable replacement fix work for you (votes are changeable, owners only please)?

1. Replacing the cable worked.

31.0%
  2. Fiddling with the original cable worked.

52.9%
  3. A DIY fix is not something I'm willing to try.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I attempted the fix, but it did not work for me.

6.9%
  5. I have had no digitizer issues.

9.2%
  1. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

I replaced them both in one of my tablets. The touch cable I replaced was not failing though. I just wanted to see if the new cable worked.

2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I haven't had any trouble with the touch cable (yet)

however after my 64 GB model pen seemed completely dead....I ordered some spare cables from Digikey.....only took a few days for them to arrive. During the wait, I opened up the back case to prep the upcoming Note Surgery....I didn't have any tweezers or tools of any sort....but all I did was kind of pull on the digitizer cable....didn't unseat it or anything....but it seemed pretty sturdy...so I popped the back case back on.......and the Pen was now working.

The replacement cables came in like the next day, but I wanted to wait until the pen died again before replacing them.

....its been 3-4 weeks so far......no digitizer failures.......still got the cables.....but I can't decide if I should just replace them....or wait until the good luck runs out.....

Mesosphere likes this.
  3. Mesosphere

I generally think if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I only did it because I wanted to experiment.

You have the cables ready if you need them. It is a quick fix, so I seen no reason to do it preemptively.

Solrax and darkmagistric like this.
  4. NickFan

NickFan Pen Pal - Newbie

Dear all contributors,

My pen is not working suddenly, it seems a similar problem to one reported here. I wonder if the FIX is still working?

NIck

5. 2.0™

2.0™ Been Inkin' Staff Member

Yes, Mesosphere's fix still works. It is "the" fix for the pen's issues. Be brave, be happy. :)

See page 1, post 1 for updated info.

Solrax and Mesosphere like this.
  6. Mesosphere

The approach of simply fiddling with the cable (not replacing it) has proven that it is not nessisarily permenant. I had my touch stop working about a month and a half after fixing that way, but it was only once and it hasn't happened since. It has now been nearly 2 months since my fix. A few others have reported similar experiences.

Neither of my cable replacement fixes have shown any sign of failure yet, and to my knowledge everyone who has tried it has experienced the same.

7. fishdavis

fishdavis Scribbler - Standard Member

ugh. replacement pen cable was really hard to get into the sockets, now my tablet isn't turning on. any ideas what I might have jogged in there? I don't remember hitting anything...

looks like RMA time, super not happy about the prospect of sending my tablet in with data on it and being logged into my mail etc last time it was on.

edit: even though I had 80% battery life before 'fixing the cable' I tried plugging in the power cable and the tablet suddenly decided to turn on (just as I noticed amazon.ca has it on sale for 279... phew)

I had replaced the original pen cable in prep for RMA and it is now working again despite my creasing it even more while putting it back in (figured it was dead anyway). SIGH

I actually had a lot of trouble getting the new cable to work, did you guys find that you had to jam it in really hard?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  8. Mesosphere

No I didn't force it. I slowly wiggled it in there. Did you use a pair of needle nose pliers or anything? Also, after I first fiddled with my touch cable (not replaced!) I had to do something similar to get it to power back on. I don't think this problem had anything to do with the new cable. I think it is some sort of system error caused by unplugging the cable.

I've had this happen to all of my windows tablets for various (unknown) reasons where I had to plug it in to get it to boot up.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  9. Mesosphere

I should have posted this long ago, but I never got around to it =/ Here is how I replaced the touch screen cable.

johnconnor92, AriWS, Marty and 4 others like this.
  10. SAM 2013

SAM 2013 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I have 2 questions:
    1- Is it necessary to de-electrify before handling the internals
    2.5- Why didn't you speak
    2- How did you get such a large, clear area on your desk :)

Good video!

Solrax likes this.