DIY fix for the Asus Vivotab Note 8 pen/touch failure.

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Mesosphere, Aug 29, 2014.

?

Did the cable replacement fix work for you (votes are changeable, owners only please)?

1. Replacing the cable worked.

29.8%
  2. Fiddling with the original cable worked.

54.8%
  3. A DIY fix is not something I'm willing to try.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I attempted the fix, but it did not work for me.

6.0%
  5. I have had no digitizer issues.

9.5%
  1. runout_mick

runout_mick Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the good work on this Meso.

I'll hold off til I get symptoms then. If I do, I'll get cables then and try a quick fix while I wait. It's not a primary device, so worst case is that it sits until parts come.

Your fix is the reason I decided to buy the machine. It was a great deal on a great machine, that has a common flaw that I can likely fix myself. Without your fix, I would have passed on it even though it couldn't be more perfect for my needs, no other tablet quite does what I need it to do.

Much appreciated.

Mesosphere, Bronsky and Solrax like this.
  2. d german

d german Pen Pal - Newbie

Me too: thank you Mesosphere. I also was reluctant to buy it until I read your posting. Yesterday (2 weeks after I got it) the digitizer started failing.

I opened it today (I didn't want to damage it so it was a bit hard at the buttons). The digitizer cable was folded like a Z (the other cable like an S). I soften the folds, put two tiny pieces of 1mm crafts foam under at each fold, put kaptop tape on top of it. Hopefully it will last. But I will buy the cables and a guitar pick :)

thanks again Mesosphere and everybody else.

--dmg

fishdavis, Solrax and Mesosphere like this.
  3. Sweetpea8472

Sweetpea8472 Scribbler - Standard Member

Ever since threatening my Note that I'd open it up if the pen stopped responding, it hasn't stopped yet.

So, the fix most certainly works :cool:

fishdavis, Bronsky and Mesosphere like this.
  4. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Glad to see it is working for so many of you =)

My touch cable fiddling and digitizer cable replacement fixes are about 1 and a half months old now and I still haven't had a blip.

It has been about a month since I needlessly replaced my touch cable in my fully functional tablet, and that is still working as well, so that cable continues to work.

Solrax likes this.
  5. Solrax

Solrax Pen Pal - Newbie

Likewise my digitizer cable replacement has been 100% reliable. Not a single time has the pen not worked when I take it out. Which after all the problems seems miraculous.

Mesosphere should be running Asus engineering!

Mesosphere likes this.
  6. Mesosphere

Hehe, thanks =) But all I really did was put the pieces of the puzzle together that all of us have gathered here and there. Asus engineering would probably be much worse off with this atmospheric scientist in charge =P

7. runout_mick

runout_mick Pen Pal - Newbie

I just bought a 2nd AVTN for my high-schooler's Christmas present, and should be prepared to self-RMA these.

Does anyone have a link to the supplier with the best fitting cables for us at the best price? Are the digitizer and touch cables identical?

8. Mesosphere

All the info on the cables is linked to in the OP. The cables aren't identical. They run about 3 bucks each.

9. nicopizza

nicopizza Pen Pal - Newbie

Back...
    my note 8 touch is having hiccups again... back then (some 1 and half months ago) I only soften the ribbon folds (no replacement or reseating). Although the hiccups are short and touch comes back after a short time, I believe that I will need to reopen the tablet and do some more "shiatsu" to that rascal!
    I'll come back...

Edit: Shiatsu to the ribbon took a bit longer than usual this time...
    the touch would hang at start or upon resume, and now it seems ok. We'll see if it last.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  10. Mesosphere

Well sadly I have similar news to report on my shiatsu'd touch cable. I had a I2C device failure Friday night. It was my first one in nearly 2 months. The shiatsu I performed on this one was pretty mild. I simply straightened and reseated. I didn't protect the folds in any way... although like others have mentioned most cables should be able to tolerate the folds. If the fold did somehow break the wires inside, I'd imagine unfolding the cables could push them back together, but it is likely an unstable fix.

Alternatively, the cable may just need to be reseated again. How many of you have been able to fix the cable issue without reseating?