DIY fix for the Asus Vivotab Note 8 pen/touch failure.

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Mesosphere, Aug 29, 2014.

?

Did the cable replacement fix work for you (votes are changeable, owners only please)?

1. Replacing the cable worked.

29.8%
  2. Fiddling with the original cable worked.

54.8%
  3. A DIY fix is not something I'm willing to try.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I attempted the fix, but it did not work for me.

6.0%
  5. I have had no digitizer issues.

9.5%
  1. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

When I ordered they didn't have any 50 mm in stock. That's why I got the 100mm one. Really though it isn't too bad. It just required 1 extra fold (so 3 instead of 2).

upload_2014-9-22_12-26-52.png

2. Solrax

Solrax Pen Pal - Newbie

Hmm, my display (when it works, see my new thread) has a hotspot about the size of a pencil eraser, shows much brighter than the rest of the color. Is this what your leaking looks like?

My hope now is that Microsoft makes a Surface Pro mini using the new Core M in an 8" form factor to the high construction standard of the Surface Pro 3, my fantasy is that they cancelled the Mini last May because they decided to hold out for the new Intel chips. Well, one can dream...

I sure can't afford to go through tablets as fast as this Asus seems to want me to, it is the worst piece of consumer technology I've ever owned. But I love the size and the pen...

Dave47 likes this.
  3. graki

graki Pen Pal - Newbie

You want to know how badly built it is ?
    Mine just got 3 RMA and a loosely usb port (from the day one I had some difficulties to get my OTG cable properly working on it), and last week it simply completely snapped. I happened to work just right next a SMT Assembly room so I brought my damaged AVN8 to see if something could be done about it. The pcb part of the micro usb port was gone (the black tiny bit of plastic inside the metal casing), revealing the solder pads beneath it. We "microscopically" looked at them and we discovered something really frightening : the solder pads were burnt, and when I say burnt I mean really burnt to the pcb substrate, no wonder it was malfunctioning from day one. It could only mean one thing : the SMT process for this device is globally bad, really bad.

The conclusion : don't expect it to survive more than a year without any major failure of one component or another. Your mileage may vary, of course, but not that much.

Solrax and Dave47 like this.
  4. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Not that I like it, but good to know. Thanks for keeping us informed.

Sent from my SC-01F using Tapatalk

5. Mesosphere

Yes, thanks for sharing. It is good to know about all the potential problems that are out there. However, could the solder pads have been burnt in one of the 3 RMAs as opposed to in the manufacturing process?

I'm not so sure I agree with the conclusion. Most QC problems (not all of course) will tend to show up quickly or not at all. Certainly, though this thing wasn't built with anything approaching top notch care. The density of problems definitely seems to be very high, and there is a higher than normal risk of this device failing for one reason or another; however, at least to me, it is pretty much to be expected at this price point, and I can live with it (barring any alternatives).

6. Mesosphere

I find the timing of this failure suspicious. Were you seeing any symptoms of this problem before opening it up to repair the digitizer cable? I'd hate for the fix I suggested to be responsible for this, but the timing just seems to point to that. It is possible we may need to be more careful than we thinkwhile we are in there.

7. graki

graki Pen Pal - Newbie

It is very unlikely this was due to a SMT "rework" (any post-assembly manual intervention as they call it) because first of all they almost never do that in RMA centers (because of the cost of the combined required SMT equipment and skills, they prefer to replace whole pcb/boards alltogether) and second, the burnt marks were extremely clean, and reworks usually leave very visible marks around the reworked pads (visible at least under the 'scope).

It is most likely due to bad temperature and speed calibration in the reflow oven of the assembly line, which burnt all the pads near the edge of the pcb. They hold for a time, but not for long. And I highly doubt this is the only problem they got on the assembly line, I'll bet their DPU are sky rocketing.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
    Mesosphere likes this.
  8. Mesosphere

Well that certainly isn't encouraging =) And of course you are right about the lack of RMA soldering. I'm sure it's cheaper for them to replace the part.

9. Solrax

Solrax Pen Pal - Newbie

I could see where it would seem too coincidental, but I really doubt it's the case. I was extremely careful opening the case (if for no other reason than that I didn't want to mar the edges or break a clip since I don't want Asus to have any idea I opened this). The removal and replacement of the digitizer cable was very simple and I put almost no stress on any component (and the motherboard is quite well screwed down).

If anything it might have been lots of massaging the back trying to get the digitizer to start working again before I replaced the cable that may have stressed it, if it wasn't the fact it was in a bag with books etc.

Rather than feel like your fix may have contributed to this, be happy that thanks to you I already knew how easy it was to open the case and poke around - if I hadn't already done the digitizer repair I would certainly have just RMA'd the thing and I'd be without any useful tablet while I wait for it to come back.

10. Mesosphere

Three weeks since I replaced my digitizer cable and no hiccups yet =)

Solrax, thierryb, Serhat and 2 others like this.