DIY fix for the Asus Vivotab Note 8 pen/touch failure.

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Mesosphere, Aug 29, 2014.

?

Did the cable replacement fix work for you (votes are changeable, owners only please)?

1. Replacing the cable worked.

29.8%
  2. Fiddling with the original cable worked.

54.8%
  3. A DIY fix is not something I'm willing to try.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I attempted the fix, but it did not work for me.

6.0%
  5. I have had no digitizer issues.

9.5%
  1. SAM 2013

SAM 2013 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So when a soldered eMMC goes bad, is it non-replacable/repairable?

2. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

I wouldn't think so (at least not by the average Joe). I don't know if that is a big worry though. I've not heard of widespread problems with eMMCs dying.

3. Mesosphere

Update: The new forum no longer supports imbedded HTML code =( So all I can provide is links to the counters)

Time since my fixes... I'll update this if one of them fails, and this post is linked in the OP.

Touch cable straightened and reseated on August 29th 2014.
    Time since:
    http://www.tickcounter.com/countup/2014aug29/America New_York/100000am/Touch%20Cable%20Fiddling

Digitizer cable replaced on September 3rd 2014.
    Time since:
    http://www.tickcounter.com/countup/2014sep03/America New_York/100000am/Digitizer%20Cable%20Replacement

Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
    HeavyHanded, smellon, Dave47 and 3 others like this.
  4. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

This absolutely needs to be linked to the first page of this thread so it doesn't get buried. Lets me pass the time of day.

5. Mesosphere

It is linked. I was thinking this thread might deserve a sticky too given how widespread this problem is. Do we just PM a mod to request that?

6. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

A PM should work.

Asus would just replace the board.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
  7. Mesosphere

Yep.

I'm hoping that eventually some broken ones will show up on E-Bay for spare parts if we end up stuck with out an alternative tablet for awhile.

8. ntrolls

ntrolls Pen Pal - Newbie

Thought I would add my bit. To make a long story short, after reading the numerous stories of pen failures in this forum, I of course went out and bought one :p My pen was okay for about a couple of month, after which it eventually started coming and going. It would either take massaging the back (near the volume buttons) or a few hard taps in the power button corner.

After reading this thread, I opened up my case and lo and behold, the digitizer cable was very sharply folded. I reshaped it so that it is less sharp, checked that the pen works before closing the lid, and closed it. It has been hands down solid ever since - only for about a few days, yes, but then it had not lasted a few days straight before. So thank you, Mesosphere.

I was going to visit the A/S centre in Korea when I go back there in mid-September (I bought it over there), since you can actually get it serviced while you wait. I still may just go, if only to get it replaced with a newer, fresher cable. But I think this is the fix.

With this cleared, I finally went out this morning to pick up (a used) Surface Pro stylus. Nice :)

Solrax, Dave47 and Mesosphere like this.
  9. Mesosphere

Interesting people are seeing so much success simply straightening out the cable. When I first commented on that I figured it was a long shot. It will be interesting to see how permanent that fix is.

10. michaelws

michaelws Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Sounds like a fairly solid fix. I will purchase those cables tho just to be sure. Hats off to your Mesosphere...mine at least. Grateful for your taking the time to post.,

Solrax likes this.