DIY eGPU on Tablet PC's: experiences, benchmarks, setup, ect...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Agent 9, Apr 1, 2011.

1. dmon88

dmon88 Pen Pal - Newbie

ahaaaaa, damn, im sorry i didnt figure that out myself. you're right, i tried it. SLG it is. thankyou so much for your help so far. i'm still going to start putting together a eGPU for the time being, but the 2730p is advertised as on sale, so we'll see if there's any interest. Agent 9's results are very good anyway so if i can reproduce them i won't be upset at all, but more would be better. i'll keep you updated. hope you have a nice day.

2. danenick1212

danenick1212 Pen Pal - Newbie

nando, here is a screenshot of SetFSB. Installing XP didn't do anything for me in having my PLL's read. Oh well.[​IMG][/url] SetFSB by Danenick, on Flickr[/IMG]

3. NamelessPlayer

NamelessPlayer Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

This thread's become quite lively since the last time I checked.

I went ahead and checked my 2730p's PLL for the heck of it. SLG, unfortunately, but I suppose I can't complain too much given how good of a deal it was overall (wouldn't want to trade AFFS+ for something less, for starters) and how I don't do anything too CPU-demanding on the 2730p to begin with. (That's not why I bought it in the first place.)

4. danenick1212

Namless,
    I hear you on the good deal. I use my x200t for schoolwork mostly, but set up an eGPU for the downtime between some classes I have in the Fall. It also works great with my bedroom t.v. My x200t was pretty loaded(superbright LCD, 128GB SSD, WWan card, 4GB ram) but I do wish I had the 400nit outdoor LCD. I think my next tablet with be the 2760p after I graduate in the Spring. With the eGPU/tablet and a gaming desktop, I don't see the need for any other type of laptop, since I've integrated the tablet into my daily life.

5. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@anenick
    I don't have a X200t, but I remember pictures and videos of it being taken apart, and I remember that if you take the keyboard off (probably ~6 screws) then you have direct access to the motherboard as it only has a sheet of clear plastic protecting it... IDK if the PLL chip would be on the visible side of the motherboard, but if it is then that is the easiest way to find out what PLL chip it has.

Also I got in the little adapter I have been waiting on for a while now to finish my setup, I'll post pictures later when it is all done

6. danenick1212

Agent9,
    I've had the entire laptop stripped before, so if I had a reference shot of the chip I was looking for, I'd go that route. I'll have to do some googling.

Just pulled the keyboard off, it's an SLG. I wish I would have known that the chip was accessible!!! It would have saved me a few hours.

Well, the quest for knowing what PLL is over, time to start enjoying the eGPU!

7. MSE

MSE Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey. I know this thread is getting a bit stale now at over a year old...but the DIY external GPU looks like a great idea. I wanted to ask about on-GPU computation with the external video card.

Since you've been able to establish bidirectional communication to the GPU, my next question is, "Does that mean you can use it for CUDA computation?"

It looks like the GeForce 460 that you had in there supports CUDA, according to nVidia's feature comparison matrix:
    Graphics Cards Buy Now

I'm not aware of any benchmarking tools for GPU computation.
    But Toms Hardware had a bit on doing exactly that sort of benchmarking:
    CUDA-Enabled Apps: Measuring Mainstream GPU Performance : Help For the Rest of Us

They used SETI@Home (with a custom invocation script), and CyberLink PowerDirector's CUDA-enabled H.264 video encoding, among others.

Anyway, I'm real curious to see what kind of performance you can get out of the external GPU with the same type of benchmarks.
    I'm not clear on what kind of bandwidth limitations the ExpressCard/PCIe adapter will impose, but I'd love to see a benchmark run with and without GPU, just to see.

Thanks for posting.

8. nando4

nando4 Pen Pal - Newbie

Found a 2730P schematic. If you have the ICS9LPRS397 PLL in your 2730P then just need to jumper the debug port pin1+2 to TME-unlock it so can then overclock it using setPLL. Easy.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  9. stumms

stumms Pen Pal - Newbie

agent 9 is the man can't wait to try this out..