DIY eGPU on Tablet PC's: experiences, benchmarks, setup, ect...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Agent 9, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Here is the benchmarks for JC2 (all at the highest setting except AA as it looks like I forgot to crank that up to 8x... though I don't think it would be much different)... oddly enough I was not allowed to set either Bokeh Filter, or the GPU Water Simulation when using Optimus on the internal screen (must be because it isn't reading the GTX 460 as the primary card; well, because its not)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    If I turn some of the settings down a bit the frame rates go up a bit (but for the most part the Optimus setup will limit fps on the internal screen to something in the vicinity of 30-40fps for most games)

This is on a external screen (same settings, but you can see fps jumps up significantly)
    [​IMG]
    with the extra filter, and water detail settings on external (and fps drops out quite a bit
    [​IMG]

I also played the game itself and I would say that at max settings on the internal screen it plays smoothly (no big drop outs, so choppiness, though some more fps wouldn't hurt from time to time... but for a system that is several generations old, and that was only meant to do HD movies at most, I would say that it is excelling at gaming)

oh, and the whole setup still runs cool during a session of gaming (the temps were within 1-5 of the max temps when gaming, but drop down quickly when done)
    [​IMG]

2. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm not too sure why this hasn't caught on more than it has? Just been on ebay and there's only one on there. if I didn't have this core i7 machine I'd SERIOUSLY consider it

3. danenick1212

danenick1212 Pen Pal - Newbie

So I just placed my order with Harmonic Inversion for the PE4L and EC2C. I'm pairing this with a Galaxy GTX 460 and a Coolmax 350w Mini Atx power supply. I THINK the power supply with be enough, as it's 16A on the 12V line. If not, I will just have to get a decent 400 watt power supply. Luckily, the parts wont get here until AFTER my finals, so I won't be too distracted.

4. Agent 9

Very cool!

The side of my GTX 460's box says 24A on the +12 line (and every resource online says the same); over on NBR's main DIY ViDock thread the most common problem people have is that their PSU is providing the GPU with too little power for it to work properly.

I would recommend either getting a different PSU (most people get the Corsair 430Watt one that I got, link in the first post -if its something else, be sure it has at least 24Amps on the +12 line), or getting a Xbox 360 power brick [a functioning one, maybe $20 on ebay] and splicing the output from it to provide the right power to the correct areas (there are some small guides on NBR's thread about how to do this, and it apparently works quite well with a GTX 460 as several have done it successfully)

5. NamelessPlayer

NamelessPlayer Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Can I see some results with the settings turned down? Anti-aliasing and SSAO really hit framerates hard, as does Water Detail. I was hoping for something closer to 60 FPS average...then again, the PCIe x1 link would be a huge bottleneck.

Still, it's more playable than you'd expect out of a system normally constrained to Intel integrated graphics, and I'm more accustomed to custom-built desktop performance (in my case, Q6600 3.2 GHz 8x400/8 GB DDR2-800/8800 GT 512 MB, with that last bit going to be replaced whenever the next batch of NVIDIA cards releases and I can then decide whether or not to spring for a GTX 480) and 60 FPS or higher framerates in general.

6. danenick1212

I think the box states those requirements because you would normally run that card in a desktop computer. Since I am using the power supply for the video card only, I should be fine. I am seeing from Guru3d that the GTX 460 only draws around 150 watts on its own. The 192 watts provided by the power supply should be OK, even factoring in only 80% efficiency. At any rate, Fry's has a decent return policy, so if I run into problems, I'll return it and get a more powerful one.

GeForce GTX 460 review (roundup)

7. danenick1212

Harmonic Inv just confirmed my order! During finals I'll have to install Steam and get ready to do some benching. If any of you guys have requests, I'd be glad to help. I plan on focusing on playability and fluidity, rather than max details. Most of my tests will be done on the internal LCD at medium/high settings with lower amounts of AA. This will be my "portable" rig to compliment my C2Q/GTX 570 system at home.

8. in4mer

in4mer Scribbler - Standard Member

Agent 9 did you need to buy the ATX Power Supply Power-On Switch?

9. Agent 9

no, all you really need is a bent over paper clip (put it between the 4th and 5th pins down on the side with the plastic clip)... but during my modification of the PSU [in no way recommended unless you know what you are doing] I cut most of the excess wiring off, and also soldered a switch to those 2 wires (the switch is the little black rocker switch you see next to the power in port on my custom case -it is actually a switch from the PSU, that I reused)

oh, and over on NBR they are transitioning the name from "DIY ViDock" to "eGPU" (for external GPU), mostly so people don't get confused by naming, and so it is far easier to say/ type when talking to people about it. now I have to figure out how to change the naming here

10. in4mer

in4mer Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm quite iffy with soldering (also because I don't have a kit). My thought that if i just leave it on, I can switch it off at the PSU...but then I guess i could just use a paper clip. Hmmm...