DIY eGPU on Tablet PC's: experiences, benchmarks, setup, ect...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Agent 9, Apr 1, 2011.

1. superart

superart Pen Pal - Newbie

is there any limitation, as far as drivers are concerned, about what video cards will and wont work? Would it work with quadro cards?

2. danenick1212

danenick1212 Pen Pal - Newbie

As far as I know, and from the 300+ page thread, you can use most any PCI express graphics card. There are caveats to different cards, though. I would suggest you head over to the thread and read a bit. If you have any hardware specific questions, ask Nando. He is the reason we have this in the first place. He will be able to give you very specific suggestions based on your hardware. Depending on the Quadro card, I would guess you could mod the drivers to see is as a Geforce card and possible run it in an Optimus setup IF the hardware combination is correct(certain integrated Intel cards+nVidia 4+ series cards). Agent 9 posted a link to the thread a few posts back.

3. NamelessPlayer

NamelessPlayer Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You don't have Hydis? Perhaps you do and don't know it...what's the monitor hardware ID?

Anyway, I just wish someone would make a nice casing for these DIY ViDocks...hopefully one that allows for adequate ventilation and cooling, but isn't too bulky, either.

4. danenick1212

Nameless, I just had the panel replaced and it's a Samsung. I has hoping for the Hydis, but no luck.

As far as the case, I've seen some pretty creative solutions. If I could find an empty Villagetronic ViDock case, I would modify it. I'm going to put some time into it after this semester is over.

5. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@danenick1212
    I should think that your X200t would do as well as my 2730p (though my processor has been given a 'boost' from 1.86Ghz to 2.13Ghz, and that seems to make a pretty big difference in some games -though it still does well even at 1.86Ghz)
    There is 0 chance of any kind of 'ghosting' because it is still your Intel GMA 4500 integrated graphics unit running your internal screen (but having the external GPU accept and process data, which the Intel graphics chip then uses to display the final image on your internal screen); you might get some 'chop' on the rendered image if the program/ game is poorly optimized, or if most system resources are being used up

Personally, my 2730p is literally functioning as my 'do it all' machine for some time now (only ever touched my desktop to get files from its HDD's), and I couldn't be more impressed with all it can do (for one, using the DIY ViDock to power a external screen, or my 2730p's screen with no fuss, is just great)

@superart
    I know that the Nvidia GT/GTS/GTX 4xx and 5xx cards are the ones that will work with a 'optimus driver' but I don't think any other cards will (it has to do with the physical nature of how the cores on those cards are setup, and in truth no one knows for sure)

As drivers are concerned; the biggest limiting factor is the x1 1.0 link to the dock (the cards are meant to run at x16 2.0 links; but most cards do surprisingly similar in the dock than if they were on a full connection); of course a lot of that has to do with advanced drivers that can handle bandwidth limitation of a x1 connection pretty well -the Optimus cards/ drivers being the best so far (you do need a Intel IGP: Intel GMA 4500MHD, HD or x3150 (Pine Trail) for Optimus to get the card to work on the internal screen)... You install the video card's driver like you would on any system: make sure the card is powered on and connected to the system, and then install the driver; when it is all set up and all, you attach the dock and card (when the computer is in 'sleep') then power it on, the driver will load up upon detecting the card, and it will be working within ~3seconds of waking the machine up; to remove it, you just go to the 'safely remove device' in the task bar, and choose to remove the gfx card.

Nearly any desktop graphics card will work with a DIY ViDock powering a external screen, or two, or more (most of the 'low power' cards out there [the ones that don't need extra power going into them from pins on the back] can be powered by a lowly laptop PSU attached to the pe4L/ pe4H adapter's input -it is optional to use this, or not; and is only really usable with one of the 'low power'), oh, and there are no 'low power' cards that I know of that can do Optimus (if there were, I doubt it would give much of a boost in performance)

and, yes the best resource is the main thread on NBR DIY ViDock Experiences though it is a HUGE thread, with info scattered all over

What, you don't like my cardboard box? :p

seriously though, I am going to rip apart the PSU I got, cut most of the wires off, mount a different fan going from the side; and put the paired down PSU and gfx card in a steel case that I will make (it should turn out very nicely by the end of it... but until then I am stuck with this cardboard monster, lol)

6. danenick1212

Agent 9,
    Did you have a desktop that you gamed on before? I am curious, since I primarily came on a quad core desktop. My elitebook has a Quadro FX2700m (scores around 7500 in 3dMark06 with a C2D at 2.53Ghz) and will play games like Bad Company 2 at low/medium settings at 1980x1200 resolution. I am curious as to how BC2 would run on my x200 at 1280x800 with the 1.83Ghz C2D. I had an Alienware M11x for about 6 months, and I was able to game rather well on it, so I would assume that with a far more powerful card, even on the internal screen, I would get decent performance in BC2. Have you run into any REALLY CPU dependent games(besides some RTS games, GTA IV, Crysis, Metro 2033) that your 2730p won't cope with?

7. Agent 9

haha, gaming desktop? no, not really; I have a home built desktop I used for gaming, though it isn't meant for it (ASUS M2N-E motherboard, AMD Athlon2 X2 6400+ processor -scores 5.3 WEI-, EVGA 9800GT 1GB vram videocard -6.8 for both gfx scores in WEI-, 4GB of mis-matched ram running at 667Mhz -5.2WEI- but the 2 great WD Scorpio Black 1TB drives are the thing I am sorely missing when on my 2730p), but I went from a PIII desktop that had a videocard so bad it couldn't even play a online video smoothly (well, we have had a Toshiba Satelite laptop for a number of years [6 now I think] but other than that laptop, they are all 'mine'); so I am used to 'limited hardware'... I come from thinking that you have to work with your computer, and at times just accept that it isn't perfect, and then just enjoy it for what it can do (I guess that is why I love my DIY ViDock so :) )

I played Battlefield BC2 yesterday on my 2730p's internal screen, and it did fine in the few chapters of the campaign I played (all max settings, but with Bloom disabled because it was causing crazy flickering/ flashing -I do not know how to check frames per second accurately, but I know it wasn't too high [probably in the realm of 30 fps, and very minimal drops -though it seemed the same if it was on all medium, or all high settings] To me it was more than playable, but my standards aren't that high :p ). It seemed that my CPU utilization was right around 75% when playing BC2 maxed out, so your SL9400 should do mostly OK with playing BC2, but if you were to OC it to 2.13Ghz [Dual IDA] or higher with different methods, it will help out quite a bit

I can test how BC2 does displaying native res on a 1920x1080 [I think] TV we have, later on; but I can't right now (I took my DIY ViDock apart last night, and stripped the PSU of most of the unnecessary bits, and am in the process of making a compact housing for it out of sheet steel -my designed spec's are 10"x4.5"x5" and it has a large corner missing where the fan that came with the PSU is at (see below) It will have a power plug for a AC cord to be plugged in, and it will have that on/off switch mounted; as well as having the fan mounted on a hinged 'door' that will let me store the adapter's cable for transportation (but it is already about half as big as it was before)

[​IMG]

As I have said before, if anyone has something for me to test out, I will try to get around to it asap; so tell me what to try out.

Also, the videocard in your elitebook is meant more for more of a workstation workload (like using AutoCad with large 3D environments, and such), but not so much for gaming

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  8. warakawa

warakawa Pen Pal - Newbie

agent 9: how do you boost your cpu faster than the default speed?

I have SL9600 which is supposed bo 2.13GHz, however I only have 1.58GHz. Do you how to fix this?

9. Agent 9

-First, check that WEI confirms you have the SL9600 (I have seen people make this mistake before, thinking its one thing, and its actually another), and also check what the WEI score is on the processor
    -Now download CPU-z to see the real frequency and multiplier the processor is running at
    -Next, go into the advanced options in your power plan -change 'max processor state' as well as 'minumum processor state' to 100% for both on battery and plugged in
    -Check what CPU-z says now

My processor is OC'd using the software "throttle stop' as well as a modified BIOS that allows my processor to run at higher than initially allowed speeds How to Enable Intel Dynamic Acceleration (IDA) on Both Cores of a Core 2 Duo - Page 15 that has info on both, look into using Throttle stop and SetPLL/ SetFSB (in Nando4's sig)

I have updated the first post with pics of the nearly completed DIY ViDock that is made out of sheet metal (I need a female to female mini-HDMI adapter so I can just plug the 5' calbe into the dock, and unplug it when I need to)... it all runs cool, and it is pretty quiet even under load. after I finished it I played a few games on the 1010p screen we have [off the HDMI out on the dock], and it handled most games at full settings with smooth fps (Crysis and Battlefoeld bad company 2 were the big exceptions; Crysis is just a bit to demanding on the GPU, and BC2 needs a bit more cpu power to play at that res with the highest settings -so full 1080p at high, not highest settings is doable)

10. NamelessPlayer

NamelessPlayer Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Did you get a chance to benchmark Just Cause 2 yet?

It's one of the better-optimized games out there in this recent market of multiplats, but cranking the settings all the way up (and turning on a few select settings like GPU Water Simulation) will really cut down your framerates.