DIY: change asus vivotab note 8 battery

Discussion in 'Asus' started by mael112001, Feb 25, 2015.

1. Brian Steele

Brian Steele Pen Pal - Newbie

1. I used this battery - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WWHT708

2. I haven't done anything special on the tablet for battery to be recognized. Note: my tablet is running Windows 10, which I understand has a built-in routine for calculating battery capacity and lifetime. Right now it's telling me that the battery has a charge capacity of 6,975 mWh, which is considerably lower than the 15Wh rating of the new battery. However, given that it's indicating the battery's serial number as "123456789" and it's telling me that the battery has already gone through 433 cycles, I suspect that tablet is still using some information from the original battery in the report. I will check it in a week or two to see if anything changes.

PS: I generated the battery report using this command - powercfg /batteryreport /output c:\battery_report.html

thierryb likes this.
  2. Yoyo

Yoyo Pen Pal - Newbie

The cycle count is a little worrisome, as is the 7,000 mWh figure. I hope the new battery really has more muscle than that (should be about 15000 mWh) and the tablet just needs to calibrate to use its full potential.

Supposedly battery utilities need to cycle all the way from fully charged to flat occasionally to give accurate results, documented here for Windows laptops generically:

http://www.tomsguide.com/faq/id-2342991/calibrate-battery-windows-laptops.html

Have you tried anything like this?

3. Brian Steele

Brian Steele Pen Pal - Newbie

I did do a full discharge / recharge cycle, but it didn't seem to change much at the time. However I just ran the powercfg report again and it's saying that as of the 31st of May the estimated full-charge capacity is 8,525 mWh. That's still lower than the design capacity, but a bit more than what was reported on Saturday. The run-time estimates were way off for awhile, but seem to be getting closer and closer to what I'm actually experiencing with the tablet. Right now it's estimating a run-time of 3 hours and 37 minutes at 99% capacity, which is disappointing compared to what I was getting with the tablet when it was new, but a marked improvement over what I was getting from tablet just before replacing the battery. And now the battery is a lot easier to replace, so I might opt for one of the other battery sources the time it's time to replace it.

4. BenGman

BenGman Pen Pal - Newbie

Nice writeup!

Can you tell me what settings you used on the LiPo charger and on which wires of the batteries you connected (close up picture please) ?

My charging/OTG port is busted for a second time... based on your pic I am wondering if I can route the battery leads outside the case and charge the battery externally... or better yet have a second battery charged externally and just swap batteries in and out of the tablet.

Please advise!