Distributing powerpoint with copyrighted images

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by everythingblogcast, Aug 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RobbieG

RobbieG Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place for this thread, but please move it if there is a better place.

I am running into roadblocks with using my tablet in class. There are several professors who are nervous about sharing their powerpoint lectures because of their use of diagrams/images they swiped from copyrighted sources (books, etc.). They feel it is ok to show them in class, but to make them digitally available, they are affraid they will be breaking the law.

Is this the case? If they share them securly (make the students log in to download the file), is this any different? Can anyone direct me to to a source that addresses this?

Thanks for any help in making my college more tablet friendly!

Robbie G

2. Celemourn

Celemourn Pen Pal - Newbie

Not sure. A good place to check would be www.studenttabletpc.com which is a site specifically dedicated to, well, students using tabletpcs. <duh> <rolls eyes at self> There have been discussions, and also some current research by law students, into the legality of scanning books, and I bet that someone there would have a good answer for you, if there isn't already a thread dedicated to this topic.

As to my gut.... I bet those professors have already violated copyrights by publicly displaying the images if they haven't gotten express written permission... Maybe you can blackmail them? J/k, don't do that. :D But go research it and find out from someone who's actually quallified. You can also do a google on "Fair Use", as that is a portion of the US Copyright Act (of 1976, I think) which would likely come into play here.

3. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Although we are talking of a possible software infringement, I have moved the thread to a more appropriate section here in 'Off Topic'.

As to the answer; Celemourne already gives a good account on legaility.

Web material re-publicised will always be a moral issue and is a bit of a double edge sword.
    It is wrong of the staff to use someone else's work without their concent, wrong of the staff to knowingly pass this on to others.

However, if we all took this stance the web would not be as powerful a tool as it is today.
    Depending on the content, I doubt anyone would be that interested ~ unless their name is Bill Gates.

4. RobbieG

RobbieG Pen Pal - Newbie

But what about figures from books? Most of my lectures throughout college had figures from our textbooks as well as other books the professor had, and I think that is what the professors are worried about distributing to the students. Apparently it is ok to show it in a lecture, but it's the electronic distribution of the material they are worried about.

5. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

If we are talking figures I find that difficult to accept as copyright material.

A written passage or an abstract of art is copyright but a collective of figures is simply an equation.
    You can not copyright an equation.
    It is either held in secret from all eyes or displayed to the general public.

The same applies if the staff write the figures on a screen for all to see.
    You in turn write these figures down as a means of reference...
    Are we saying it is wrong of you to write these figures down.

There could be something in this, especially if the figures have any diagrams attached but I would doubt a figure would be in breech of copyright.

6. everythingblogcast

everythingblogcast Scribbler - Standard Member

Tutors in the UK can take about 10% of the books content to teach students. But only if they own the book.

Being dyslexia I have specail software textHELP Read & Write Gold 8 that I can get it to talk out the words. In the UK a Blind person can get someone to copy the books to ebook standard so they can hear what us seeing people a read ourselfs. However dyslexics have to get premission first with is really unfair because it could be word blindness so we the people of the world have to get these laws changed so everyone can enjoy books.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.